• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Personal Style Manifesto

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
anyone else here have "rules" you make and follow for yourself regarding your own fits?

mine:
-I only wear buttondown collar shirts with sweaters, unless it's a crewneck where i'll wear a normal collar (I only own 1 crewneck as it is)
-none of my pants have a break, not even my jeans which are hemmed or cuffed to no break
-I tuck in all buttonfront shirts...which makes wearing BoO a pain sometimes as it's just long enough to tuck but not long enough to stay tucked all day long
-Apparently I wear my belts going 'the wrong way'
-A well fitting suit jacket sleeve shows ½-1" of cuff, which is more than the typical wearer shows. Having shortish sleeves also prevents one from wearing a suit jacket with s/s shirts, a no-no in my book

any other manifestos or mantras?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
-I tuck in all buttonfront shirts...which makes wearing BoO a pain sometimes as it's just long enough to tuck but not long enough to stay tucked all day long

Originally Posted by Get Smart
79picpa0.jpg

devil.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
haha nice catch. but in my defense, that one is a shirtjac that can't be tucked as it ends right at the beltline so POO POO ON YOU!!

pinoy

Reaction score
Yeah I never noticed that you wear your belt the 'wrong' way either! Interesting.

For me..

- I never wear ties. Ever.
- Never wear pocket squares (at my age I don't think its advisable anyways)
- Aside from jeans, I wear all my pants without a break.
- Aside from a bottega veneta bracelet I wear for sentimental value, I don't wear jewelry.
- For me a proper suit jacket fits shorter in body and sleeves than normal (kinda like Thom Browne but not as extreme)
- I don't wear leather jackets (although I've been tempted by a couple Rick Owens ones..)
- I almost never wear black with blue. I feel like brown goes a lot better (brown belt, shoes, etc) Exceptions would be a black tee and jeans.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
- I only wear suits on special occasions, as I have yet to find one I am able to afford and can deem appealing
- i wear jeans or 5 pocket twill (ie 517's) except to work(i landscape), weddings, and funerals
- I don't polish my boots or shoes, ever.
- I don't wear any jewelry(necklace,ring,cufflinks), and very rarely wear a watch
- I feel my hair looks best when nothing is done to it at all
- outside of the occasional band shirt or my suit, i prefer to not wear black tops or bottoms of any kind.

robbie

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never knew there was a right or wrong way to wear a belt. As long as it wasn't backwards. Strangely enough, I wear my belt the 'wrong' way too, and never even noticed it until Get Smart mentioned it. I think it might be because I'm left-handed.

And, I think my 'style' is still in a transitory place so I don't really have rules, especially because I'm still--and probably always will be--experimenting.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great thread. I think that I do have one but would not be able to put into words. I know that I usually am pretty consistent in look from suit and tie to khakis to jeans and that I look at everything the same way. I think that people get into trouble when they try to have a different personality when they are casual versus when they are more formal rather than being themselves all of the time.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I think that people get into trouble when they try to have a different personality when they are casual versus when they are more formal rather than being themselves all of the time.

I have a problem with this when I'm required to do "business casual" for work meetings. I like to wear a jacket but inevitably I'm the only one. Also I don't own any khakis or polos so all the males are dressed one way and then there is me in wool pants and a jacket.

Omegablogger

Reaction score
I try not to group my clothes in to good and bad, or more accurately not have any "best" stuff. Stuff is just stuff, some stuff is more appropriate for certain situations but stuff is for wearing whenever you feel like it.

That doesn't make any sense does it?

itskub

Reaction score
-Im very minimalistic

-I have a fear of buying clothes online.

Presto87

Reaction score
Originally Posted by itskub
-Im very minimalistic- My shoes are one pair of brown suede Clarks, white Adidas, and black chelseas. Same with shirts, Ill never buy two similiar peices of clothing..
-Not a fan of T shirts.. I only have one white one.
-One pair of jeans in rotation in my whole wardrobe, no need for a second pair.
-No brown clothing for me. I dont even look at it.

-I dont like chucks. I hate Jordans, AF1's, etc.

-I have an actual 'shopping list ' on my desktop , it helps avoid impulsive buying. For example "burgandy V-neck",

-It pisses me off when I see girls compliment guys in ugly mall brand clothing.
-I love complimenting strangers , but where I live, I almost never see anyone dress "stylishly".

-I have a fear of buying clothes online.

+1 on the last point .... don't know what you guys think, but I find that most "everday" girls (as in those not totally addicted to style, up-to date fashion etc.) compliment guys when the fit is right and the tones match each other and suit the guy ... brands don't come into play.

My style, as a student:
- college and p/time work is baggy, comfortable, streetwear with one pair of sneakers that I wear day-in, day-out
blush.gif

- night out is dark wash denim, brown boots, l/sleeve shirt tucked in OR polo .... need cash for more shirts though - only own 3!!!
eek.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- No jackets without a pocket square, except at funerals.
- No tassels of any shape or form
- No sandals, ever.
- No white socks except with work boots
- No predistressed denim

-There are stacks more. I'm such a PITA about clothes.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random question, what is a break?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads