• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Personal Experiences with Alden of Carmel,...

127.72 MHz

Reaction score
Hello All: It was briefly mentioned in a previous thread but no specific information was given so,.... I own far more shoes than I will ever admit to and am interested in at least one pair of Alden shoes/boots that Alden of Carmel offers. First I'll admit that I HATE buying anything over the internet and I have never typed in my credit card number in a web site to purchase anything. (Please don't judge!
smile.gif
) Bottom line, I looked and looked for a phone number for someone from Alden of Carmel,...and could not find one. I sent an e-mail asking for a phone number so I might ask a question or two and all things being equal, order a pair or two of Aldens. Adam of Alden of Carmel replied by asking me to ask him a question by e-mail and he would reply. I asked a question which he replied to which generated another question or two,...and with my schedule being what it is, I finally asked him if I could talk to him real time for no more than five minutes before I placed my order. It was only then that Adam informed me that his is a e-mail only business,...no exceptions. After his reply I did a search and found that his business is not in Carmel, California but in Port Angeles, Washington. The beautiful store all of his shoes are displayed in each having it's own wooden cubby hole,.....not possible because there is no store. It occured to me that he might be an individual with no shoes to sell at all and the whole mess might in fact be a sham. Well, I'm told I am wrong. I'm told he used to be in Carmel and that he is an honest guy to deal with. That being the case I would like to hear from individuals who have dealt with Adam,...as in purchasing a pair of shoes from him. Please only those who have given their credit card numbers to Adam of Alden of Carmel and received shoes in return. Thanks so much in advance for your replys. Bill Woodward aka 127.72 MHz Portland, Oregon

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Alden Fan shoes from Alden of Carmel, and I posted the pictures here.

Adam answered all my questions via email very quickly. I sent my credit card info thru 2 separate emails to be on safe side and 5 days later a package magically appeared. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I wouldn't hesitate to order from him again.

Omega Man

Reaction score
Adam used to be in Carmel. I believe he is in Washington now.
I purchased the AF26 and had them shipped to Canada. I was concerned about providing my information through the Internet. But this forum and many of its members have recommended very highly of Adam. He even offered full returns if they didn't fit.

I am very happy with Adam's offering and his service is top-notch.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd echo the responses here. I've only ordered from Alden of Carmel once, but the shoes arrived quickly and Adam answered a couple of my emailed questions promptly and was very easy to deal with.

horton

Reaction score
You might also consider LeatherSoul who posts here occassionally. He has real stores in Hawaii and sells Edward Green and Alden. I can personally vouch that I visited the one in Waikiki (sp?), which was very small, but well stocked and "real." Oddly, when I visited (I didn't buy anything) there seemed to be more interest in the Aldens than the Greens.

gracian

Reaction score
I have ordered several pairs of Aldens from AOC and never had a problem. I have read of other people getting put off by the same reply that he does not have phone and does all communication via e-mail. But once you get over this he provides great service. He will ship out the shoes, he will ask them how they fit and charge your credit card only if you decide to keep them.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 127.72 MHz
It occured to me that he might be an individual with no shoes to sell at all and the whole mess might in fact be a sham.

That being the case I would like to hear from individuals who have dealt with Adam,...as in purchasing a pair of shoes from him. Please only those who have given their credit card numbers to Adam of Alden of Carmel and received shoes in return.

Thanks so much in advance for your replys.

Bill Woodward
aka 127.72 MHz
Portland, Oregon

I have given Adam my credit card information 5-6 times to purchase shoes from him. He shipped them to me in Tokyo and they arrived in record time. I suppose I can understand your desire to be cautions, but the operation is certainly no scam. I have received better service from Carmel than I have reieved from other Internet retailers (Since 1888 made my blood boil) and some brick and mortar stores.

Alden of Carmel is extremely professional, and I will do business with Adam again.

Bic

andyw

Reaction score
Adam is an honorable individual. I ordered a pair of squared toe shell cordovan norwegians but didn't like them in person once received - in my opinion, the hind quarter welt is too heavy - and Adam took them back. While his radio silence is a little wierd in this age of overcommunication, that idiosyncracy need not be confused with trustworthiness. Hope this helps.

Personally, I also wish there was a physical location to go crazy and spend a day trying on the shoes. Adieu shoehounds!

127.72 MHz

Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied. How helpful to be able to communicate with others who have made purchases from an individual whom I wish to know more about.

I guess I may just take the plunge so to speak. (I must admit, even though they don't seem to offer the same selection as Alden of Carmel Tommy from leatherSole in Hawaii has been very helpful) If there is any way I can find something that catches my fancy I will buy something from Tommy.

Warm Regards,

Bill Woodward
aka 127.72 MHz
Portland, Oregon

alflauren

Reaction score
Ditto on all of the positive responses. I ordered the AF28s a couple of months ago and received fast service and accurate sizing advice. I don't want to pump up your expectations too much, but I emailed him late in the evening with my initial questions and had a response within an hour.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I visited the store once when it was still in Carmel. Nice guy. I've never heard a bad thing about him or his business here on the forums, and a good number of members have bought from him.

Don Goldstein

Reaction score
I have ordered a few pairs of shoes from Alden of Carmel. I have never had a problem. But, it does frustrate me that he will not speak on the phone. I find times where I will go round and round over email with him when a 5 minute phone conversation would be much more efficient. I don't know why he won't speak over the phone but it is odd. He likes to do things his way. He does have some unique special makeup styles that you can only get from him. Otherwise, if you want better communication, shop with Tom at Leather Soul Hawaii. He is fantastic in every respect.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 127.72 MHz
Thanks to all who replied. How helpful to be able to communicate with others who have made purchases from an individual whom I wish to know more about.

I guess I may just take the plunge so to speak. (I must admit, even though they don't seem to offer the same selection as Alden of Carmel Tommy from leatherSole in Hawaii has been very helpful) If there is any way I can find something that catches my fancy I will buy something from Tommy.

Warm Regards,

Bill Woodward
aka 127.72 MHz
Portland, Oregon

I had positive experiences with Alden of Carmel, but I have also had a great experience when I ordered Edward Green shoes from leatherSole. Tom Park is dedicated to customer service, and I trust him wholeheartedly, too. My experience with both was very much the same. I never visited a retail shop, sent e-mail that was answered promptly, received my shoes in good order. In my opinion, you really can't go wrong with either of these merchants.

Bic

Don Goldstein

Reaction score
Alden of Carmel sells primarily "special makeups". These are shoes that Alden only makes when a dealer orders them. Alden of Carmel sells only a few styles of regular production Alden's and they will not order any other's from the factory, even if a customer requests them.

Leather Soul Hawaii sells quite a few special makeups, and it seems to be more and more as time goes on. They will order and regular production shoe from the factory also.

Ronzo

Reaction score
I purchased a pair of Alden 8 cordovan wingtips with commando soles last fall and gave them my credit card number. No problems. The shoes arrived in about 3-4 business days. I don't remember if I had a choice of delivery options or not. I vaguely remember that I did. They were very particular that I not walk around in the shoes prior to making a decision to keep them or return them based on the size. I dealt with them exclusively by email and they gave me good guidance on purchasing the right size. I am a 10.5 or 11 US depending on the maker and last. They recommended a size 10.5 which has worked out fine. The shoes are beautiful and of top quality construction. I won't hesitate to purchase from them again and have my eyes on a couple of shoes now. You should also try Leathersoul of Hawaii. These folks have a beautiful store in Honolulu and a very nice website with some fabulous shoes. Not exclusively Alden. Ronzo

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads