• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Persol authenticity?

Poincare

Reaction score
I'd venture that Persol aren't the most counterfeited brand out there but still, I'd like to know if there are any known tell tale signs for fake Persol sunglasses.

I bought a pair of size 52 Persol 714 24/57s from eBay as I had trouble tracking down that particular combination in London. I've only bought a few things off eBay, this seller has very good feedback and seems genuine but I'm always a bit apprehensive.

Item will be delivered tomorrow and I'm assured come with 'authenticity cards'. Seeing as I've never seen such cards before they mean nothing to me!

I'm not generally mistrusting but well, eBay is eBay..

If anyone has any tips that would be great.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of 649s from one of those eBay sellers. There is something about them that makes me question their authenticity. However, they are awfully close. I prefer not to dwell on it. If they are fake, they are very good fakes, and it's not a lie if you believe it yourself, right?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'authenticity cards' or 'certificates of authenticity' usually have no meaning whatsoever, they can be as fake as the item itself.

Poincare

Reaction score
mm.. fakes are fine I guess but when you've paid close to retail it is a bit grating..

I'm in Milan next week, wishing I had just waited till then!

dirtyturk

Reaction score
arent those the folding ones?
i would guess those would cost too much to fake
plus fake ones' screws would get loose after repeated use so you would probably have realized by now...

Poincare

Reaction score
Yeah I don't think people would really bother faking them. The standard Ray Ban aviators and wayfarers must be much easier to fake and have a much bigger market.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
Its really difficult to find fake persol's. Usually if the price isnt ridiculous (like 35 dollars), they are real.

jsizzle24

Reaction score
I'm currently looking at persol 714's and 649's on ebay and i see that most are being sold for below retail and all are claiming to be 100% authentic. Just wondering if they really are legit? anyone care to share some info or thoughts on these? thanks. they go for about $135-147 range on e-bay

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'be picked up 2 pairs of 714s from the Israeli seller - slouchbird or louthbird - something like that. Both pairs were in the original box with leather case papers, dust cloth. The polarized pair was maybe $10 more but I think I paid between $130-150. Same packaging as what you get here in the states, and as others have said, faking the 714 seems like too much work.

jsizzle24

Reaction score
thnx man, that eases my mind, i was looking at the same dealer sir!!

BLU8

Reaction score

I'be picked up 2 pairs of 714s from the Israeli seller - slouchbird or louthbird - something like that. Both pairs were in the original box with leather case papers, dust cloth. The polarized pair was maybe $10 more but I think I paid between $130-150. Same packaging as what you get here in the states, and as others have said, faking the 714 seems like too much work.

I bought a pair of Persol 2720's from louthbird a few months ago, and I'm positive they're authentic. Like PhiloVance said, they came with the full kit of box, case, cleaning cloth, paperwork, etc. I'd vouch for him as a seller you can trust.

Last edited:

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thnx man, that eases my mind, i was looking at the same dealer sir!!

I wouldn't be worried about his product. I think with the first pair, the air parcel took about 10-14 days; the second pair was here within 5 days. I basically switched from the lighter havana brown in size 54mm lens to the darker brown, polarized version in 52 mm. 54 is really a large lens/frame and would slide down off the bridge of my nose. That being said, I still a got a ton of compliments on the 714s with 54mm lens.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mm.. fakes are fine I guess but when you've paid close to retail it is a bit grating.. I'm in Milan next week, wishing I had just waited till then!

what does being in Milan have to do with buying persols? Are they more economical in Milan?

arent those the folding ones? i would guess those would cost too much to fake plus fake ones' screws would get loose after repeated use so you would probably have realized by now...

The real ones also become loose with wear

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't be worried about his product. I think with the first pair, the air parcel took about 10-14 days; the second pair was here within 5 days. I basically switched from the lighter havana brown in size 54mm lens to the darker brown, polarized version in 52 mm. 54 is really a large lens/frame and would slide down off the bridge of my nose. That being said, I still a got a ton of compliments on the 714s with 54mm lens.

I bought the size 49 649 havanna from louthbird and can recommend him, too. he ships quick (5 days to china) and I'm glad I picked the small size.

Joker Man

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I bought a pair of 649s from one of those eBay sellers. There is something about them that makes me question their authenticity. However, they are awfully close. I prefer not to dwell on it. If they are fake, they are very good fakes, and it's not a lie if you believe it yourself, right?
Don't buy anything on ebay it's mostly fake. You get these people running a business out of a box. And don't believe feedback because the guy may have a dozen accounts and just gives himself good ratings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads