• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Persol 714 vs 649

orlagu

Reaction score
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but here's a familiar question. I've been eyeing Persol 649 (didn't like it at first, but it grows on me), but no eyewear shop where I live carries them anymore, so no chance for an actual try-on
plain.gif
. I have a big skull, like, BIG even for caucasian standards (I'm SEAn, 5'9"). Just for reference, AO Original Pilot 55/20 seems small for me, as well as Persol 2720-S 57/16. AOOP 57/20 fits well and so does Persol 2857-V 54/16 and Persol 2244-S 63/17. Since many of you said Persol 649s are big/fit large, should I go for size 54 (easily found on 'bay), or 56 (almost non existed though listed on Persol homepage)? Thanks and great Friday to y'all.

nurktwin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by orlagu
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but here's a familiar question. I've been eyeing Persol 649 (didn't like it at first, but it grows on me), but no eyewear shop where I live carries them anymore, so no chance for an actual try-on
plain.gif
. I have a big skull, like, BIG even for caucasian standards (I'm SEAn, 5'9"). Just for reference, AO Original Pilot 55/20 seems small for me, as well as Persol 2720-S 57/16. AOOP 57/20 fits well and so does Persol 2857-V 54/16 and Persol 2244-S 63/17.

Since many of you said Persol 649s are big/fit large, should I go for size 54 (easily found on 'bay), or 56 (almost non existed though listed on Persol homepage)?

Thanks and great Friday to y'all.

I'd recommend the 52 for most folks. If you are have a large skull, maybe go for the 54, as it's quite large anyway. FYI. here's the best price I've found online $195: http://www.discountshadesdirect.com/...tal-brown.html

nurktwin

Reaction score

nurktwin

Reaction score
Bump. Anyone know if the new McQueen limited model comes in 52? I emailed SunGlass Hut a few days ago but no response from them.

alebrady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nurktwin
Bump. Anyone know if the new McQueen limited model comes in 52? I emailed SunGlass Hut a few days ago but no response from them.

why would you ask sunglass hut? ask persol

nurktwin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alebrady
why would you ask sunglass hut? ask persol
I guess you don't know that Luxottica owns BOTH Persol AND Sunglass Hut. It's a vertically integrated, hegemonic operation (i.e. manufacturing, distribution and retail). Hence the "exclusive" retailership of the McQueen "special edition" at Luxottica's own Sunglass Hut stores, thus ensuring price point fixing and lack of retail competition to ensure higher margins on this piece. So, I asked both entities (which are really the same entity, as it's all owned by Luxottica) if the McQueen special edition is or will be offered in anything other than size 54. No feedback from Persol. (Nice customer service.) Feedback from Sunglass Hut: "These only come in a size 54." Too bad these McQueen Special Editions only come in the CLOWN SIZE 54. 52 is a more appropriate size for most faces, IMO.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What's the benefit of folding glasses into quarters? I almost always have a jacket to put them in the top pocket, and if not tuck them into the top of a shirt.

nurktwin

Reaction score
What's the most versatile frame / lens color combination on the 649s?

267_01.jpg

nurktwin

Reaction score
Found some photos online from the Persol / Sunglass Hut Steve McQueen release party modeling the size 54 714 of the McQueen special edition. Thoughts on size of the glasses? A mistake for them to not offer this in size 52 as well? Or does size 54 look ok?
9.jpg
8.jpg
1.jpg

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to wear 54. 52 is too small and looks dumb on my face, and the arms actually angle out. And I'm not really that big of a guy.

Xenos

Reaction score
Are those pics from the launch party supposed to be of the McQueen glasses with the blue lenses? If so, you can barely see any color at all in the lenses. Not sure why anyone would pay a premium for this model if they are barely differentiated from the regular models.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nurktwin
Found some photos online from the Persol / Sunglass Hut Steve McQueen release party modeling the size 54 714 of the McQueen special edition. Thoughts on size of the glasses? A mistake for them to not offer this in size 52 as well? Or does size 54 look ok?

Personally I think this style looks better fitting a bit smaller on the face. They never looked so large on McQueen.

It's a pity the size 52 never comes with longer temples.

nurktwin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
Personally I think this style looks better fitting a bit smaller on the face. They never looked so large on McQueen.

It's a pity the size 52 never comes with longer temples.

McQueen may have actually worn something in 54ish range. Hard to tell from these photos but I think these look larger than a modern day 52. Perhaps a 54 after all. Thoughts?

persol-ratti-the_thomas_crown_affair.jpg

persol.jpg

Steve+McQueen+Persol.jpg

Picture+21.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads