1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Persol 714 vs 649

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by agavilanes, Nov 5, 2008.

1. dupper

dupper Member

I agree, I bought the reissues of the Steve McQueen Persols (Havana/blue) and feel that they are way too big and do not look like the ones Steve wore at all. The Luxottica remakes seem to have thicker frames and a darker havana color. I did hear a rumor though that they will be re-releasing them in a size 52 but possibly only in Europe. Anyway, i'm willing to trade my 54 Mcqueens for a 52 Mcqueen or willing to stait up sell them :)

just bought the 649's in size 52mm and even though they are kind of funky, I like them a lot.

2. poena

poena Senior member

Whats the difference between the regular polarized and photo-polarized? They differentiate on the persol website.

Thanks

3. Toivonen

Toivonen Active Member

eheheh :)
    i told this when they launched them...

the original movie glasses are in a darker colour,and the lens are not with the mirror effect ...

when luxottica launched them they took the .56 code lens and put in a 54 size 714....and we are still trying to understand why they choose this gigantic size :)

now i think they've tryed to do something,and here in italy the 52 size is available.. i haven't see them in the shop,only in the pictures on the size,but it seems that now they fitted with a lens similar to the one that eyegoodies.com fitted,and that are quite the same of the movie

4. poena

poena Senior member

I mean I always knew my head was a little big but i must have a pretty big head. the 54's barely get on my face without the arms flexing outwards.

You guys must all have pretty narrow faces. and looking at pics of mcqueen wearing them they go the full width of his face.

5. Lear

Lear Senior member

+1

The 54 arms don't reach back far enough. They even tried warming/bending them, but still won't fit over my ears. They're deeply set behind my upper jaw. I'm sure this isn't normal :embar:

Anybody know if the 56 arms would be any longer? Problem is that I can't find this size in any London store.

Lear

6. hyoton

hyoton Member

Anyone know the measurement across the frame for a 649 size 54? I have a pair size 52 that measure 140mm across and the arms pinch and flare out a bit when I look into a mirror.

I measured the distance between the arms when they are unfolded and it came out to be around 134mm. I also measured a pair that were very comfortable on my head(RB 2132 sz 55) at the spot where the persols started flaring out and it was about 139mm.

[​IMG]
    Kind of like this, they flare out at the metal rod thing closest to the lens

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  7. Despot

Despot Well-Known Member

Can someone please explain to me how ebay sellers can sell 714's so freaking cheap if they are authentic. Looking at the ebay feedback doesn't seem they are selling fakes to tons of people 100% positive feedback on these. Are they buying authentic frames and putting in crappy lenses? Or are they just fakes? well under 200 for a 300 pair of sunglasses doesn't make sense.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  8. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

Presumably they source them the same way that all other Grey Market merchants source their supplies.

9. Despot

Despot Well-Known Member

I know nothing of this but I imagine a wooden crate (much like the one containing the ark on indiana jones) spray painted with "Persol Sunglasses don't steal!" on it being carried away by some somali pirate.

Really how does it work?

10. clausc

clausc Senior member

I tried both 714 and 649 size 54 and did not quite like them. I found them too big and everybody has either Persol or Ray Ban here in Europe. I bought recently these Linda Farrow for Tim Hamilton from Asos (these are from last year or two years ago).
    [​IMG]

they have a fordable version too
    [​IMG]

11. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

I'd say that they can sell them cheaply because that's how much they cost. Sunglasses have a huge margin

12. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

+1. I make it my business to never pay anywhere near retail for sunglasses. Especially with bigger brands like Luxottica, you can easily find their "top quality" eyewear for 50-70% off.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  13. poena

poena Senior member

I may have a pair of 714's for sale if anyone is interested. dark tortoise, polarized.

14. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Let me measure my pair and get back to you?

15. lambeojoxx

lambeojoxx New Member

"hideous", numbnuts

16. burdaxx

burdaxx New Member

nada

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  17. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I just bought a pair of the 714 and I like them but I do find that they scratch the nose part. I am now looking for the McQueen version with the brown polarized lens, I think the blue lens may be a bit too flashy for me. Thoughts?

Do the glasses have the size inscribed on the arms? The left arm has the following information (714 24/57 54021 140 3P)

Do these look to big on my face?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  18. okazaki

okazaki Member

Bump. Really not sure what size to get. I ordered a pair of 54s having never tried the 52s (many of the chains only carry 54 it seems). Tried them on and am worried they might be a touch too large, but I'm also just not used to wearing larger glasses.

Saw some 52s yesterday. Tried them on, and the noticed that the earpieces were angling outward at the hinges. I have a pretty large head, definitely larger than average.

I don't have any pics right now, but here are some I found that I feel approximate how the 54s fit me (wide enough that they span my entire face, ear pieces go straight back with no outward angling, lowest part of lenses line up with mid- to low-nostril).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd say my head shape and the fit pretty closely approximated by the first pic. Thoughts?

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  19. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I think that the reason most stores are carrying the larger frame is because of the appeal of large aviators to the masses.

Two members told me that the size 54 looks big on my face and that I should go with a more square frame (he suggested the 3027 model) because of the oval shape of my face, I am starting to believe this is true. But I am going to order the 52 and see how that works, I just want a pair of these to have lol.

I will post picks once I get the 714 and 3027 in a size 52.

20. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Cal, FWIW I think the 714s look good on your face.