• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Persol 714 vs 649

Albern

Reaction score
I have the 714s and they are great glasses. The folding feature at the bridge and temple are neat but can be a bit annoying when handling / carrying them around indoors.

649s are almost identical with the exclusion of the extra moving parts and taller temple arms. Also I believe the 649s come in a smaller lens size too; 48 or 49mm if I remember correctly (so 3 sizes available vs 2 sizes in the 714s).

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
BTW, Persol makes the Italian made Purple Label sunglasses. In fact, just about the slickest shades around if you like the style are the Purple Label folders in black with a green lens; absent the Persol chrome, they are quite subtle.

Almost all sunglasses that come out of Italy are now manufactured by Luxottica. If you can find vintage Persols made before 1995 the quality is superior.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the 714 to the 649 model because I dont like the way the bridge looks on the 649. I like the metal accents the folding features add to the 714 as well.

When I first bought my 714's I was worried the folding parts would wear out but Ive had them for a while now with no problems. They loosened up a bit but I just tightened the screws and they are fine now.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have this same conundrum myself right now, too.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
Sorry to resurrect this thread,
but can anyone comment on the sizing of the 649?
Im not in the position to try one on, and am not sure whether the 52 or 54 is more 'standard'.

If you can't try them on, go for the 52. The 649/714s are a big sunglass to begin with and they're even bigger in the 54, they won't look right on most people.

If the 52s are too big, you can try and get a pair of the 48s, which are usually for women
laugh.gif
If they're too small, well, you can get them in 54, 56 and 58

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The size 52 is definitely the standard, and the first you should try. It measures 140mm right across the front of the frame. I believe the 714 is actually a bit wider in the same size.

poena

Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
The size 52 is definitely the standard, and the first you should try. It measures 140mm right across the front of the frame. I believe the 714 is actually a bit wider in the same size.

i've actually been looking for a pair of these. no store carries them for me to try on.
i know that 50mm rayban wayfarers look too small for me and i need 54 in that size. are the 649 the same fit as the rayban? mean i should get a 54 or will the 52 suffice.

every store i've found has a restocking fee too. where are you guys purchasing?

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poena
i've actually been looking for a pair of these. no store carries them for me to try on.
i know that 50mm rayban wayfarers look too small for me and i need 54 in that size. are the 649 the same fit as the rayban? mean i should get a 54 or will the 52 suffice.

every store i've found has a restocking fee too. where are you guys purchasing?

I have no experience with the Raybans myself.

Ebay for Persol 649s. There's a constant supply of new and used pairs on there.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
I have no experience with the Raybans myself.

Ebay for Persol 649s. There's a constant supply of new and used pairs on there.

I am always concerned about fakes. Any opinions on that?

I have 54mm Wayfarers. They are on the large side. My head is pretty big.

nurktwin

Reaction score
The 714s aren't built exactly like the original 1960s era Steve McQueen spec. The problem with the Luxottica 714 reissue is the they fold differently and in a way that causes damage. The metal hinges dig into the back side of the bridge when collapsed (i.e. folded) on the reissue.

Stick with the 649 reissues. Less parts, no design flaw. Get the 52 size. All other sizes are too big.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads