1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Persol 714 vs 649

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by agavilanes, Nov 5, 2008.

1. j

j Well-Known Member

Sorry, doesn't look like they have any promos that would apply here unless you are getting them made prescription ($25 off with a coupon).

2. agavilanes

agavilanes Well-Known Member

Sorry, doesn't look like they have any promos that would apply here unless you are getting them made prescription ($25 off with a coupon).
    I was thinking in puting the prescription myself, but if I can do it in fd.com, that would be great. Where do I find the code? Also. I tried to order prescription but I cant get the link for that (In wayfarers was pretty easy, it appear in the search results)

3. j

j Well-Known Member

Holiday Coupon - $25 Off Any Pair Of Prescription Eyeglasses Using Coupon Code 25PEYE
    11-Nov-2008 - 25-Dec-2008

Thanks for thinking to use the forum link!

I'm not really sure on the procedure to do the prescription on the site but you could try their support, they've been good in my experience.

4. minhi

minhi Well-Known Member

to those looking for persol i've seen them at loehmann's all summer and they're on sale (at least at the few i've stopped at recently) for less then $50, so check if you want one and have a loehmann's nearby.

5. agavilanes

agavilanes Well-Known Member

to those looking for persol i've seen them at loehmann's all summer and they're on sale (at least at the few i've stopped at recently) for less then $50, so check if you want one and have a loehmann's nearby.
    Thks for the advice, but I don't live in US.

Could you proxy?

6. discostar

discostar Member

Who needs any Persols when you can have these? (For only $150 after cashback! PM me!)

[​IMG]

whats the name of these?

wheres the best place to buy persol 649/714/2869 or those above in europe or online ? whats the lowest price for each of them?

cheers!

7. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Yes, what model are these RL sunglasses so I can try to locate them? They arent on the website.

8. chl

chl Well-Known Member

649 hands down, The original , classic and I receive multiple compliments every time they are worn.

9. JSC437

JSC437 Well-Known Member

are all 649's the same size? or do they come in multiple sizes?

if multiple sizes, how do u determine what size is best for you? is there a measurement to be made?

put a tape measure to my face or something?

thanks

10. Steven Aver

Steven Aver Well-Known Member

714 and 649 are the same other than the folding feature. Both come in various sizes.........

The 649 were made famous by Marcello Mastroani, the 714 were the signature shaes of Steve Mcqueen. Both are very cool sunglasses.

11. Albern

Albern Well-Known Member

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morn
    I have the 714s and they are great glasses. The folding feature at the bridge and temple are neat but can be a bit annoying when handling / carrying them around indoors.

649s are almost identical with the exclusion of the extra moving parts and taller temple arms. Also I believe the 649s come in a smaller lens size too; 48 or 49mm if I remember correctly (so 3 sizes available vs 2 sizes in the 714s).

12. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Well-Known Member

BTW, Persol makes the Italian made Purple Label sunglasses. In fact, just about the slickest shades around if you like the style are the Purple Label folders in black with a green lens; absent the Persol chrome, they are quite subtle.

Almost all sunglasses that come out of Italy are now manufactured by Luxottica. If you can find vintage Persols made before 1995 the quality is superior.

13. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Well-Known Member

Sorry to resurrect this thread,
    but can anyone comment on the sizing of the 649?
    Im not in the position to try one on, and am not sure whether the 52 or 54 is more 'standard'.

14. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Well-Known Member

I prefer the 714 to the 649 model because I dont like the way the bridge looks on the 649. I like the metal accents the folding features add to the 714 as well.

When I first bought my 714's I was worried the folding parts would wear out but Ive had them for a while now with no problems. They loosened up a bit but I just tightened the screws and they are fine now.

15. w.o.e.is.me.

^^Thanks, any comment on the size?

16. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Well-Known Member

^^Thanks, any comment on the size?

I have a fairly large head and I got the 52's and they are fine. I never did try on the 54's but I feel like they would be too large.

17. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

Have this same conundrum myself right now, too.

18. UpperWestie

UpperWestie Well-Known Member

52 is standard issue size. 54 is for elephantitis.

19. Aaron01

Aaron01 Well-Known Member

Sorry to resurrect this thread,
    but can anyone comment on the sizing of the 649?
    Im not in the position to try one on, and am not sure whether the 52 or 54 is more 'standard'.

If you can't try them on, go for the 52. The 649/714s are a big sunglass to begin with and they're even bigger in the 54, they won't look right on most people.

If the 52s are too big, you can try and get a pair of the 48s, which are usually for women [​IMG] If they're too small, well, you can get them in 54, 56 and 58

20. w.o.e.is.me.

thanks guys. will try and get my paws on a pair of 52s.
    leaving for vacay in 2 days, so its going to be a feat to actually acquire them before then.