Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Persol 714 sunglasses - Steve Mcqueen with blue lenses

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by myStyle, Oct 18, 2007.

1. myStyle

myStyle Member

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I just got in a newsletter for these shades that Steve Mcqueen use to wear, thnking about ordering a pair with the blue lenses.

Just thought I would get some other opinions on them-- any way here is a link to the newsletter:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.eyegoodies.com/page_002.html

Here is the link to the procuct:

http://www.eyegoodies.com/Persol-714...-pr-16551.html

Was thinking about the darker tortoise to go for fall/ winter-- some opinions appreciated

Are those the ones that gave him eye cancer?
    [​IMG]

3. myStyle

myStyle Member

I know I am brand new to this forum. However I do not spam and will NEVER spam.

I just thought I would get some opinions on these shades. No need to flame a new member.

4. jleeo225

jleeo225 Senior member

If you've never tried on the newer makes of the 714 or 649 sunglasses, they wear kind of big. You should find a place to try on at least one of the models. I think Sunglass Hut carries the 649s. The smaller of the two sizes offered were way too big looking for my face. I went with vintage ones from on online dealer located in Germany.

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I know I am brand new to this forum. However I do not spam and will NEVER spam.

I just thought I would get some opinions on these shades. No need to flame a new member.

Ok then, my bad and welcome.
    I've never been a big fan of that particular style, but persol makes good glasses.

6. myStyle

myStyle Member

If you've never tried on the newer makes of the 714 or 649 sunglasses, they wear kind of big. You should find a place to try on at least one of the models. I think Sunglass Hut carries the 649s. The smaller of the two sizes offered were way too big looking for my face. I went with vintage ones from on online dealer located in Germany.
    Yeah I own a pair of Persol 649 which I really like but they do run a little big for me. The smallest size they make in that one is 54 I believe. But with this one I see that it comes in 52 which should be perfect for me. I think I will go with these as there is something about these that I really like, kind of old school and the fact that they fold( and are real unique). Also I guess I am just a big Mcqueen fan. [​IMG] lol

7. hossoso

hossoso Coward and P*ssy

I like the frame but I also like darker lenses.

8. jleeo225

jleeo225 Senior member

Yeah I own a pair of Persol 649 which I really like but they do run a little big for me. The smallest size they make in that one is 54 I believe. But with this one I see that it comes in 52 which should be perfect for me.

I think I will go with these as there is something about these that I really like, kind of old school and the fact that they fold( and are real unique). Also I guess I am just a big Mcqueen fan. [​IMG] lol

Agree, they are very cool. If they fit, I would definitely get 'em. Enjoy

9. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I had the 714's and found them to be awkward to both handle and wear because of the hinges. However, I do like the aesthetics so I went with the 649's.

10. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

$350 !! [​IMG]

I'm much happier with my non-blue 649 and the extra $250 in my pocket

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

$350 is a bit of a bargain compared to the old ones which sell for a lot on places like eBay.

12. TCN

TCN Senior member

I have both the new 714's and 649's. The 649's are way too big for my face, but the 714's (despite being the same size lens) are a bit thinner and wear "smaller" . . . I guess. Nice glasses; aso marketed as the Ralph Lauren Purple Label foldables. Quality on the 714's is much better than the 649's oddly enough. . . world apart actually.

13. myStyle

myStyle Member

Here is a link to McQueens 714 shades that he auctioned.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6141186.stm

Now i trying to decide to play it safe ( for Fall...) and get the darker tortoise, or go with the lightertortoise with lighter blue lenses? (Perhaps would stand out more) + it was the one that McQeen had in his personal collection- that was auctioned. What do you think.

14. myStyle

myStyle Member

Ok ordered the darker totoise with darker blue lenses( in the smallest size-- as recommended) -- hope they work out wiill keep you posted.

15. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

Is anyone familiar with any retailer or dept. store that carries the 714's? Always tough to buy glasses online...