• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Persol 649

Joe324

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I'm a 19 year old student in the UK, and for summer I'm wanting to get some Persol 649's. I've been into sunglasses hut and seen if they suit my face and the size I need to get (52) but unfortunately I don't have that much expendable income to blow there and have seen some on eBay (UK seller with 100% feedback) for around £95 - £110. My other question is what colour to get, I'm instantly drawn towards Black/ Dark green polarised lenses but am also intriqued by the dark havana colour.

My style for summer will consist mainly of quite simple t-shirts, Fred Perry polo shirts and various oxfords, paired with slim fitting chino shorts and as for the shoes, I'm undecided. Attached is a recent picture of me as to give an idea of my colouring and hair

Thanks.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Troll.

Think about your post and then offer it somewhere else.

Joe324

Reaction score
I don't quite know how to respond about that, I can assure you I'm not a troll. I'm a music student in London and am only just getting into more refined style and the Persols I hope to be one of my first investments. I thought to combine both questions into one thread rather than create multiple and made sure to use the search function first!

I may be a newby, but definitely not a troll.

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you the kid on the right, in the photograph?

Last edited:

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, bad idea posting such a douchey photograph on a forum like this, my friend.

Joe324

Reaction score
I am indeed the kid on the right, apologies for the douchebag photograph I'll try and find a better picture or crop my friend out, it's not the best I'm aware, but it does give you an idea of my colouring and hair style, if indeed suitable for the frames.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Save some money if you're that strapped, go wayfarer.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Andrewc2232

Reaction score
I bought my 649's from Otticanet.

http://www.otticanet.com/persol.cfm

It was the cheapest price I found at the time, including eBay.

I was a little wary of the site's reliability, but online reviews were decent so I gave it a shot. The Persols were at my door (from Italy to US) in around 4 days, inspected carefully to be authentic and NIB. I did get hit with a $25 customs tax a few weeks later from FedEx, but apparently this doesn't always happen.

As for the shades themselves, I liked them enough to buy a second pair when I tragically lost the first. Definitely my go-to shades for most occasions.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a pair on the Classified section here. I love them! really classic style but not commonly seen where I'm at. I got them for about 40% off retail in like new condition from the sales forum, maybe wait a bit and watch for a pair. Mine are the Tortoise 49mm although they look black in the pick.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/295706/question-on-fit-of-the-persol-649

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

naaaahhhhhh. i much prefer my persols to the ubiquitous wayfarer.

I do too, I'm wearing the 649s today actually. But at 19, I think you need to think of sunglasses as slightly more disposable. I mentioned wayfarer becasue his hair reminded me of the Dylan photo.

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am indeed the kid on the right, apologies for the douchebag photograph I'll try and find a better picture or crop my friend out, it's not the best I'm aware, but it does give you an idea of my colouring and hair style, if indeed suitable for the frames.

Hey, no judgement. You're allowed to make mistakes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads