• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perkal Brothers Bespoke Shoes - Crown St, Surry Hills, Sydney

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

2nd fitting, should be finished by the end of next week.

First time SF has had a Perkal Bros commission. Congrats

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're not bad by any means. I don't know, I was just expecting shoes (looking) of a higher standard from them.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for the update - was also expecting a different look, but as long as you enjoy the outcome (and the process)!

barky

Reaction score
Wurger, leaving the looks aside, how is the fit? Is bespoke much better than RTW?

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to be honest, not really happy with the look of the shoes, but I enjoyed the process and liked the stories from the 2 old gentlemen.

As for fit, not sure if you can classify a generous fit a a good fit.

I don't have problematic feet, so RTW in the right size and fit will do fine for me.

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
This brings up a related point with regards to traditional craftsmen vs modern high end mass production. At the very top, the hand crafted items will likely be superior. However, especially in Australia, due to the smaller/fewer material and equipment supply chains and the need to work to a certain budget, plus the age of gentlemen performing the work, the final product, while more exact in fitting, may lack the same standard of finishing and silhouette as high end RTW. Also, in a high end factory, a lady might specializing in sewing the upper of a shoe or setting the coat sleeve for instance. This may lead to a more consistent product. However, owing to hand steps in a high end factory, it may be possible to have less uniformity or more small errors than in a higher volume factory.

Perhaps a different angle might flatter the shoes better. Either way, these gentlemen still provide an excellent and reasonably prompt service for those who can't buy RTW, and should be commended for still providing a service to surgical shoe cases, even in their latter years.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

In action

These will be (despite their design issues) probably you most comfortable shoes. They are so sturdy you will probably use them for a variety of weekend activities - like long walks etc - where they will come into there own and become like slippers comfort-wise.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

to be honest, not really happy with the look of the shoes, but I enjoyed the process and liked the stories from the 2 old gentlemen.

As for fit, not sure if you can classify a generous fit a a good fit.

I don't have problematic feet, so RTW in the right size and fit will do fine for me.
$700 can definitely buy better looking shoes. But I guess you have enjoyed the bespoke experience , regardless of end result. Enjoy them .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads