• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perfume for Girls.... gift buying help?

sologigolos

Reaction score
So my sister is turning 20 and I need to buy her a gift. I have decided (although I am open to suggestions for alternatives) that I will get her a perfume.

The Basics:
So. 20 years old. Short asian girl into theater and classic rock. Dark complexion. Looks to be about 14. Not girly, doesn't care how she dress, never brushes her hair, but is nonetheless a beautiful girl.

I'm looking for a perfume that will not be too overpowering, but something that she will be able to use daily, if she wishes. I don't think there is need for "evening" perfume. But something too flowery and girly risks her not liking it because it's too flowery or girly.

Any suggestions?

boo

Reaction score
FWIW, I was told never to buy perfume for a girl unless you happen to know exactly what brand she uses. Not that there's something wrong with it, but that it's a highly personal choice with a low chance of actually being to their liking. I guess kind of how I'd never trust my wife to buy me shoes.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
FWIW, I was told never to buy perfume for a girl unless you happen to know exactly what brand she uses. I guess kind of how I'd never trust my wife to buy me shoes.

correct.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know your budget, but I think that Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb is a really interesting one. Don't let the name fool you... it's not "girly" OR "flowerish," though it is very interesting. As well, it's classy and and a little above mainstream, without being ridiculously priced (ala Creed or some of the other Niche houses).

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
FWIW, I was told never to buy perfume for a girl unless you happen to know exactly what brand she uses. Not that there's something wrong with it, but that it's a highly personal choice with a low chance of actually being to their liking. I guess kind of how I'd never trust my wife to buy me shoes.

This is safe advice.

However...if you're up to a dangerous mission... seek out her current perfume, get a whiff of it and go from there - get something that smells similar. Be sure to get a name she recognizes - I speak from experience here: Chanel, Gucci, Guerlain go over FAR better than Miller Harris, Caron, and Piguet (unless she's a raging perfumista with scores of bottles).

There are no truly safe scents, but you might find luck with Chanel Chance (or Coco Mademoiselle), or Gucci Envy Me, for instance.

And, for God's sake - don't cheap out.

Good luck.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She's short? Whatever you do, don't get Issey, it is a really unflattering scent for her body type. The citrus notes will accentuate her stubbiness

Jayhawk1412

Reaction score
Just go to Sephora and ask a sales associate and describe what you're looking for. Sephora has inexpensive perfumes and a massive selection.

My suggestions are Donna Karen and Michael Kors. Both are really good brand names, great smells, and not too flowery or overpowering

Jacksdad

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with La Prarie scents. It's not overpowering and works as a great daily scent.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
And, for God's sake - don't cheap out. Good luck.
Man, isn't that the truth! Wonderful, clean, and pure scents can be found at Diptyque, but it's best to sniff the perfumes yourself if there's not a store around. Another safe bet is L'Occitane.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
She's short? Whatever you do, don't get Issey, it is a really unflattering scent for her body type. The citrus notes will accentuate her stubbiness

This thread is useless without pics.

trex

Reaction score
for what its worth I really like how most girls smell when they use d&g light blue or ralph lauren blue, but as everyone said you're out on a difficult mission trying to buy someone else perfume.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Eh... all this "men can't buy perfume!" **** is ridiculous. Men have excellent noses. Use yours. If you don't like the suggestions we made here, then definitely hit a store and do some sniffing. Buy her the one you think smells best. Period.

The key, as Thomas pointed out, is to trust your nose and don't chince out. Just because it says some fancy designer name (Gucci, D&G, etc.) doesn't make it "better" than any other... in fact, most of them use bargain basement cheap synthetic notes anyway. So, try to strike a good balance.

That being said, there are some standouts out there that you might enjoy. Get something fun but also unique (which is why I suggested Flowerbomb.)

lgreen

Reaction score
hello all,
I agree that to scout out what she currently likes, then get something close to it. How about asking another family member or friend of hers? If that is possible, it may save you making a big error and she will not like it.

I say jewelry is safer, some nice pearls that are good for life---- just a thought for you to consider. Many women love pearls and just have never really tried them out. They can be worn for even casual attire, no problem!

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Eh... all this "men can't buy perfume!" **** is ridiculous. Men have excellent noses. Use yours. If you don't like the suggestions we made here, then definitely hit a store and do some sniffing. Buy her the one you think smells best. Period.

The key, as Thomas pointed out, is to trust your nose and don't chince out. Just because it says some fancy designer name (Gucci, D&G, etc.) doesn't make it "better" than any other... in fact, most of them use bargain basement cheap synthetic notes anyway. So, try to strike a good balance.

That being said, there are some standouts out there that you might enjoy. Get something fun but also unique (which is why I suggested Flowerbomb.)

uhh the problem with that is people have different tastes in scents just as in clothing.
for some reason you think flowerbomb is good, i think its awful. case in point.

sologigolos

Reaction score
Thank you for all the kind advice.

I have purchased perfume for girls before with general success (at least, they pretended to like it very much).
The problem with the sister is that, as I pointed out, she is not the type that pays attention to "grooming". She doesn't really have a sense of style (jeans+tshirts, but usually darker tone, alt/theater type). Doesn't wear perfume. I've been trying to coax her over to "the dark side" with gifts of watches, bags, and shoes, and she's been open to all that so far. So now the new territory is perfume.

So the objective is:
A good starter perfume that is suitable for daily wear so that she can get used to the whole idea of perfuming. Nothing too peppy and girly, also nothing too flowery or feminine, as I don't think that goes with dark tshirt/jeans thing.

Also:
If not perfume, what would be a good birthday gift? Buying presents for a sister is very different from buying presents for girls I'm trying to get into my bed.
In the <$100 range.... (which is also why perfume seems to have been a generally a successful gift for girls... how often do you get to give them something marked "Dior" for $50?? Or show off your 'sophistication' by buying her obscure stuff?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics