• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perforating my EG's after the fact

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been told that I can't have a medallion added to my plain-toed RLPL/EG Oundles, so my question is why? Do you agree?

My 11.5 Oundles look like boats on my feet, a medallion would go a long way in breaking up the sight plane.

Thoughts?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
cordless-drill-374.jpg

ice-pick.jpg

Single-Hole-Punch-Machine.jpg

Chopsticks.jpg

2911shotgun.jpg

- B

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it can be done, but I don't think it's something any random cobber can/will do. There's an awesome Japanese cobbler website that offers this service (they make lasted trees for rtw shoes, etc), I'll try to dig up the link for you... I'm actually curious if it's somthing EG would do if you asked them with a recraft.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
I've been told that I can't have a medallion added to my plain-toed RLPL/EG Oundles, so my question is why?

The medallion (or other decoration) gets punched while the leather pieces are still flat on the workbench. That is, before the pieces get stitched together ("˜closed') or pulled over the last to give the shoe it's shape.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found it! Fwiw, they enlarged existing perforations, not sure they can add a medallion from scratch (see bengal's explanation).

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I suppose, you’re referring to ‘Union Works’ (Japanese shoe repairer), who offer as modification something they call ‘re-perforation’

05.jpg

http://www.union-works.co.jp/repair/special/

It might be just a dye job, it might be poking existing holes a bit bigger, but it is not placing a perforation onto a shoe where there was nothing before.

P.S. Obviously, great minds think alike............LOL

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
cordless-drill-374.jpg
ice-pick.jpg
Single-Hole-Punch-Machine.jpg
2911shotgun.jpg
- B

Any of these will work splendidly. Just make sure that the foot is still inside the shoe to provide some support when you do this. Otherwise the toe stiffener will collapse.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
I suppose, you're referring to "˜Union Works' (Japanese shoe repairer), who offer as modification something they call "˜re-perforation'

05.jpg

http://www.union-works.co.jp/repair/special/

It might be just a dye job, it might be poking existing holes a bit bigger, but it is not placing a perforation onto a shoe where there was nothing before.

Word. So that only leaves one solution: lasers!

ajv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
Any of these will work splendidly. Just make sure that the foot is still inside the shoe to provide some support when you do this. Otherwise the toe stiffener will collapse.

Love that one....
bounce2.gif

chrisb0109

Reaction score
In all seriousness, I am sure it would be possible.

I don't see why it couldn't be done with a drill press, a small and very sharp brad tip drill bit, and a careful hand.

Thats not to say I would recommend trying.

ajv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109

I don't see why it couldn't be done with a drill press, a small and very sharp brad tip drill bit, and a careful hand.

Thats not to say I would recommend trying.

I wouldn't try. Hand punching is done with a special tool and a hammer. In order to have clean punches one has to hit hard with the leather on a solid but slightly soft surface, like a wood board for example.

Adrian

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
I am sure it could be done with a large hadron collider. While you're at it you might try turning lead into gold. Seriously folks, anything...including the Japanese solution...is a kludge. I thought you guys worshiped in the shadow of EG's. Why would you want to treat them so shabbily?
confused.gif

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
I've been told that I can't have a medallion added to my plain-toed RLPL/EG Oundles, so my question is why? Do you agree?

My 11.5 Oundles look like boats on my feet, a medallion would go a long way in breaking up the sight plane.

Thoughts?

How are you going to ensure that you don't put holes in the interior materials?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkstone
lol8[1].gif
Yeah but you also lose your foot
5086.gif

Really? No thought for the shoe then?

chrisb0109

Reaction score
You guys are funny.

People can re-weave tears in fine fabric, restore hundred year old oil paintings, and fix cracks in centuries old stonework.

Do you really think adding a medallion is out of the question?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics