• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perfect Skin

vincent

Reaction score
I have been using proactiv since september and I am quite satisfied with the results, since my acne problem was small.

Here's my problem, I only have a tiny spot of acne on one side of face and I cannot seem to get rid of it. I am now taking tretracyclin in hopes of clearly that spot up.

I don t know what to do. I am somewhat neurotic about having perfectly clear skin. At one point, I was thinking about getting a skin peel. (but that would going way overboard considering the amount of acne I was dealing with)

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to have and keep clear skin??

PS: I have fairly pale and senstive skin and therefore, any redness is quite visible.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Have you tried just using a somewhat higher BPO (benzoyl peroxide) gel on it, or Retin-A? You can get a prescription for both of these from your regular doctor - get a low level Retin-A and try that at night, then something like 5% BPO in the morning. If that doesn't work, then you might want to talk to a derm about it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Have you tried just using a somewhat higher BPO (benzoyl peroxide) gel on it, or Retin-A? You can get a prescription for both of these from your regular doctor - get a low level Retin-A and try that at night, then something like 5% BPO in the morning. If that doesn't work, then you might want to talk to a derm about it.

Dude, I was totally kidding when I said that you were in a boy band, but this last post has got me wondering. Just tell me. Are you or are you not a former member of N'Sync?

vincent

Reaction score
Thanks J

but the problem that i encounter when using proactiv is that the surface of my skin (small area of acne) becomes quite dry, where the benzoyl is applied.

Has anyone tried anything else other than proactiv and achieved great results?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Proactiv is generally regarded is overly harsh and ridiculously priced. You might do well with something like Anthony Logistics Acne Solutions or MenScience. Check out the MenEssentials forums.

vincent

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions

How do you feel about the statement that grease/ bad food (pizza, chips, cola) can lead to acne??

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincent
Thanks for the suggestions

How do you feel about the statement that grease/ bad food (pizza, chips, cola) can lead to acne??

if you have acne prone skin, anything that dehydrates you will make it worse. that means no smoking, drinking, or caffeine. i hope you're a mormon.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Dude, I was totally kidding when I said that you were in a boy band, but this last post has got me wondering. Just tell me. Are you or are you not a former member of N'Sync?
I am not. However, I have had, and/or have, and to some degree have defeated, bad skin.

oxide

Reaction score
I've recently started using BP (benzoyl peroxide sp?). I really like the results. My acne is reducing significantly. I too have a problem with it drying the skin but I find that using a moisturizer helps alot. I only get this itchy dry feeling for 5 mins after Ive used it. Plus im in the stage when my skin is still sensitive to it. Later on it will hurt less. Check this site for what to do..
http://www.acne.org/regimen.html

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am prone to breakouts, but my skin has gotten a lot better since I started exercising on a regular basis.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My regimen is thus (seems to be working well for quite a while):

In shower, rinse with very warm water and scrub gently with wet washcloth (no face soap)

Use Nivea sensitive shave gel and Gillette DE razor (adjusted to #4) to shave face carefully

Rinse face with shower water - maintain face wet

Once done with other shower stuff, dry off body and get out of shower but LEAVE FACE WET. Do NOT dry your face off.

Use small (dime size maybe) amount of Cetaphil lotion all over wet face to seal in moisture

Immediately use 5% BPO gel over acne prone areas of face (pretty much all of it)

Go about rest of grooming routine. Be sure to allow face to dry completely before allowing it to contact any fabric as the BPO will bleach fabric.

I am considering making a mixture of the 5% BPO and Cetaphil lotion to cut my time in the morning and also make sure I don't forget a step. I occasionally forget the BPO and I can tell pretty quickly that I have.

This method is all cheap stuff from the drug store and it has been working very well for a long time now. Good luck.

oxide

Reaction score
If i was u, id moisturize after the BPO has soaked into my skin. Doesn't it hurt?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much water do you drink a day? It's underrated for overall health.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oxide
If i was u, id moisturize after the BPO has soaked into my skin. Doesn't it hurt?
Not at all, and I think the moisturizing before BPO may help avoid any irritation you might get.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics