1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Perfect Skin

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by vincent, Mar 10, 2006.

1. vincent

vincent Senior member

I have been using proactiv since september and I am quite satisfied with the results, since my acne problem was small.

Here's my problem, I only have a tiny spot of acne on one side of face and I cannot seem to get rid of it. I am now taking tretracyclin in hopes of clearly that spot up.

I don t know what to do. I am somewhat neurotic about having perfectly clear skin. At one point, I was thinking about getting a skin peel. (but that would going way overboard considering the amount of acne I was dealing with)

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to have and keep clear skin??

PS: I have fairly pale and senstive skin and therefore, any redness is quite visible.

2. j

j Senior member Admin

Have you tried just using a somewhat higher BPO (benzoyl peroxide) gel on it, or Retin-A? You can get a prescription for both of these from your regular doctor - get a low level Retin-A and try that at night, then something like 5% BPO in the morning. If that doesn't work, then you might want to talk to a derm about it.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Have you tried just using a somewhat higher BPO (benzoyl peroxide) gel on it, or Retin-A? You can get a prescription for both of these from your regular doctor - get a low level Retin-A and try that at night, then something like 5% BPO in the morning. If that doesn't work, then you might want to talk to a derm about it.

Dude, I was totally kidding when I said that you were in a boy band, but this last post has got me wondering. Just tell me. Are you or are you not a former member of N'Sync?

4. vincent

vincent Senior member

Thanks J

but the problem that i encounter when using proactiv is that the surface of my skin (small area of acne) becomes quite dry, where the benzoyl is applied.

Has anyone tried anything else other than proactiv and achieved great results?

5. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Proactiv is generally regarded is overly harsh and ridiculously priced. You might do well with something like Anthony Logistics Acne Solutions or MenScience. Check out the MenEssentials forums.

6. vincent

vincent Senior member

Thanks for the suggestions

How do you feel about the statement that grease/ bad food (pizza, chips, cola) can lead to acne??

7. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

Thanks for the suggestions

How do you feel about the statement that grease/ bad food (pizza, chips, cola) can lead to acne??

if you have acne prone skin, anything that dehydrates you will make it worse. that means no smoking, drinking, or caffeine. i hope you're a mormon.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I think Prada's skincare range is nice.

9. j

j Senior member Admin

Dude, I was totally kidding when I said that you were in a boy band, but this last post has got me wondering. Just tell me. Are you or are you not a former member of N'Sync?
    I am not. However, I have had, and/or have, and to some degree have defeated, bad skin.

10. oxide

oxide Well-Known Member

I've recently started using BP (benzoyl peroxide sp?). I really like the results. My acne is reducing significantly. I too have a problem with it drying the skin but I find that using a moisturizer helps alot. I only get this itchy dry feeling for 5 mins after Ive used it. Plus im in the stage when my skin is still sensitive to it. Later on it will hurt less. Check this site for what to do..
    http://www.acne.org/regimen.html

11. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I am prone to breakouts, but my skin has gotten a lot better since I started exercising on a regular basis.

12. j

j Senior member Admin

My regimen is thus (seems to be working well for quite a while):

In shower, rinse with very warm water and scrub gently with wet washcloth (no face soap)

Use Nivea sensitive shave gel and Gillette DE razor (adjusted to #4) to shave face carefully

Rinse face with shower water - maintain face wet

Once done with other shower stuff, dry off body and get out of shower but LEAVE FACE WET. Do NOT dry your face off.

Use small (dime size maybe) amount of Cetaphil lotion all over wet face to seal in moisture

Immediately use 5% BPO gel over acne prone areas of face (pretty much all of it)

Go about rest of grooming routine. Be sure to allow face to dry completely before allowing it to contact any fabric as the BPO will bleach fabric.

I am considering making a mixture of the 5% BPO and Cetaphil lotion to cut my time in the morning and also make sure I don't forget a step. I occasionally forget the BPO and I can tell pretty quickly that I have.

This method is all cheap stuff from the drug store and it has been working very well for a long time now. Good luck.

13. oxide

oxide Well-Known Member

If i was u, id moisturize after the BPO has soaked into my skin. Doesn't it hurt?

14. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

How much water do you drink a day? It's underrated for overall health.

15. j

j Senior member Admin

If i was u, id moisturize after the BPO has soaked into my skin. Doesn't it hurt?
    Not at all, and I think the moisturizing before BPO may help avoid any irritation you might get.

16. j

j Senior member Admin

How much water do you drink a day? It's underrated for overall health.
    Agreed - I drink probably well over a gallon a day. I always have a bottle or glass near me that I keep refilling.

17. Rodrigo Malizia

Rodrigo Malizia New Member

The absolute best acne solution would be Accutane. I would not recommend it though if you don't have a severe acne problem as the medication tends to dry out your sky pretty badly.

I would drop the washcloth if I were you, there is an insane amount of bacteria in that and you are exfoliating your sentitive skin with it. I once learned something with a Japanese dermatologist that I still try to follow. She told me never to use soap or anything detergent, but to wash my face with a beaten egg white and water every day. Right now I have flawless, soft skin, so I can vouch for it.

-Rodrigo

18. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

before you go to accutane, try getting a prescription topical antibiotic. I use clyndamycin 1%. Just ask your doctor about it. Please just try asking!

I would like for just ONE person to try this and see how well it works. It worked incredibly well for me. It costs less than proactive since its covered by my insurance. Even full price is only $50. Each bottle I get lasts longer than 6 months, I use drops at a time. It's so much easier than the 3-4 different bottles of the "proactive program".

I wash my face with hand soap, hardly ever use lotion. People say I have super clear skin.

19. mr_economy

mr_economy Senior member

Various topical solutions will have very different effects on different people's skin. I, for instance, saw zero results from Clyndamyacin during the couple months my dermatologist had me on it. Nor did I see results from any of the near dozen various topical and oral antibiotics we tried. I was one of the few who had no choice but to use Accutane.

The months I was on it were not pleasant. My skin was cracked, nosebleeds became a part of my daily routine, and forget about spending any major time out in the sun. But, as promised, it did completely clear up my acne.

That was 5 or 6 years ago now, and I have not struggled with acne since. I have the occasional pimple or two, but nothing a little dab of Benzoyl Peroxide can't take care of.

Bottom line: talk to your doctor rather than listen to a bunch of forum folk - he/she knows your skin a hell of a lot better than any of us.

20. breakfasteatre

breakfasteatre Senior member

Yeah, ive been on so many medications i cant even remember them all

and i still have acne!

accutane twice! (brutal brutal brutal)

and yet that nagging acne is still there.

Im on minocin, a oral antibiotic, and also using proactive. right now im fairly content with how my skin is, but it is definitely all over the board

I have very sensitive skin, which is also a combination of very dry and oily. if you can imagine that.

anways, if you can last 6 months of exzema on the hands and arms, drip, cracked, bleeding lips, bloody nose everyday, blood work monthly, no alcohol, just overall very uncomfortable then i suggest accutane as a last measure