• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

perfect push up device

Jake431

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Powerblocks rule. If I may offer some advice, look for the ones with the handles that allow you to put in up to two 1.25 lb cylinders. That way you don't have to increase in 5 lb increments, which is impossible for hardgainers like me. When I got mine it was called the "medicinal set", but I'm sure they have a new name, and completely new line now, as I got mine over 5 years ago.

The one's I have been eying are the set that go from 5-90 lbs (and additional weight can be added if needed). I believe you can also update the weight with some plates that will ad 2.5 between the 5 lbs increments.

-Jake

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those are pretty good for a home workout. The only problem I have with dumbbells is that it's a bit difficult to work the chest completely with them (and it's certainly not as easy as it is with a barbell)

Jake431

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Those are pretty good for a home workout. The only problem I have with dumbbells is that it's a bit difficult to work the chest completely with them (and it's certainly not as easy as it is with a barbell)

How do they affect working the chest? Can you explain (and I apologize for hijacking the thread here)?

-Jake

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jake431
How do they affect working the chest? Can you explain (and I apologize for hijacking the thread here)?

-Jake

It's nothing specific to powerblocks, just that dumbbell bench press doesn't work the chest as well as barbell, in my experience at least. Certainly it gives you less options if you want to do stuff like use planks also.

Jake431

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
It's nothing specific to powerblocks, just that dumbbell bench press doesn't work the chest as well as barbell, in my experience at least. Certainly it gives you less options if you want to do stuff like use planks also.

Ah, gotcha. I've read competing opinions on dumbells vs barbells, and from what I can see, it's harder to lift as heavy with dumbells, but that it strengthens connective muscle and tissue better than barbells does. But it's all hypothetical to me at this point. The way I figure, using dumbells is still better than doing nothing.

-Jake

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jake431
Ah, gotcha. I've read competing opinions on dumbells vs barbells, and from what I can see, it's harder to lift as heavy with dumbells, but that it strengthens connective muscle and tissue better than barbells does. But it's all hypothetical to me at this point.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages, which is why I just do both.

The way I figure, using dumbells is still better than doing nothing.

-Jake
That's definitely true. Gym membership >>>> home training though, IMO, and much of it is mental. I actually have a full gym in my house including a cage and full set of plates, but I usually train at the gym anyways, because I am more motivated.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The dumbells force you to use more of a range of motion, so you are limited by your stabilizer muscles moreso than a barbell or machine. That's why you can't lift as heavy, and why it's not as good as a barbell for presses, etc. I'm still at the point though where pushups do me worlds of good, so I don't think I really need a barbell at this point.
That's just me, and if I remember right, last I checked, you could get a bar that will let you hook your powerblock handles up to it.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The dumbells force you to use more of a range of motion, so you are limited by your stabilizer muscles moreso than a barbell or machine. That's why you can't lift as heavy, and why it's not as good as a barbell for presses, etc. I'm still at the point though where pushups do me worlds of good, so I don't think I really need a barbell at this point.
That's just me, and if I remember right, last I checked, you could get a bar that will let you hook your powerblock handles up to it.

There's a lot of benefit to be gained from using dumbbells, but I think it's easier to make gains with spotted workouts with barbells. It's certainly easier to get chest hypertrophy as such. The main problem with dumbbell bench presses is the vast majority of the work is done by your triceps, which is fine, but means you won't make much progress with your pecs with such exercises.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The dumbells force you to use more of a range of motion...

Another myth that won't die.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Another myth that won't die.

Yeah, I mean if you sit on a bench and actually look at where your elbows are relative to your chest with barbell and dumbbell, you can see that the range of motion is essentially the same with the dumbbells vs the barbells if you're going down all the way to your chest. The motion of the dumbbell bench presses is mostly working your tris, but the one thing is that since you don't have the stabilization of the bar which allows both arms to affect the stability and orientation of the weight, you will be expending more energy on stabilizing the dumbbells. They're also harder on your wrists, in my experience. Ultimately, as I said before, there are different benefits from both lifts so I just do both exercises.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads