• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perfect or imperfect fits

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to get some flack for this, but I think that anti, or imperfect fits are, in some cases, better than a perfect fitting garment, especially in streetwear. I'm not saying that the fit should be attrocious, or that everything should be antifit, but I find that an outfit is often more visually interesting if at least one element is a little off.

Jackets and tees are my two exceptions. I think it should fit as well as possible. However, I really like jeans that are just a tad too loose. And while I like the nearly perfect fit of my Spruce and Edun hoodies, I really like the boxy, short silhouette of my 6876 hoodie and the fit of my The Cast hoodies (really Lee 50/50's), which do not fit nearly as well objectively, but seem a little less "designer" and a little more "authentic" (as if that word means anything anymore.) Of course, this works a lot better if you are in good physical condition and reasonably slim, but nevertheless.

Does any of this resonate with anyone, or am I out in the wilderness here?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I think you hit on something when you talked about being in good physical condition. I think that if everything else is well-fitted and a person is in good shape, then having one item in an outfit be a little purposefully "anti-fit" can add an interesting twist. My own aesthetic usually tends towards a more fitted, lean, minimalist look, so I have a harder time pulling it off than some people, but it can look very well-done on the right person.

thelakes

Reaction score
I would have to agree with you in the case of "street wear" or casual wear. Of course jeans are even purposely designed anti-fit. From both spectrums. You got the new nut-hugger slim to super baggy. Look at steven alan who has done this with the dress shirt a bit. And yes you have to be in shape for this not to be sloppy. I actually buy certain jeans in different sizes for this effect. I think you can look too polished. Don't the Japanese have a word or something for this?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If they are not perfect, aren't implants a possibility?

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whe I first read the title of this thread, I thought it said "Perfect or imperfect ****."

Dammit, Matt beat me by like 10 seconds.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. I thought the point of a lot of streetwear - jeans, hoodies, etc. - is that they do not fit like a proper suit.

minya

Reaction score
For jeans, I think it really depends on the cut. Some jeans, esp. slimmer jeans, just look awful when they're too big (imo). Other jeans, more relaxed ones, can look quite good when worn a bit big.

I absolutely require my hoodies to be slim- and form-fitting and can't stand baggy hoodies.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thelakes
Don't the Japanese have a word or something for this?
Wabi-sabi? I don't totally agree, but I do think loose-fitting jeans have their place. I like my RR for just that reason. Also, a good look is slim top and baggy bottoms. The opposite does not seem to work at all.

Jen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the categories are perfect vs imperfect, it is certainly true that imperfections (in fit, fabric, etc) add visual interest to an ensemble.

However, I still think that looking good is the objective. (As opposed to looking cool, as LA Guy has expressed on a number of occasions when we have had this conversation.)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jen
If the categories are perfect vs imperfect, it is certainly true that imperfections (in fit, fabric, etc) add visual interest to an ensemble.

However, I still think that looking good is the objective. (As opposed to looking cool, as LA Guy has expressed on a number of occasions when we have had this conversation.)

LA Guy respectfully disagrees with LA Gal. In fact, LA Guy believes that LA Gal (i.e. Jen) fails to recognize that "looking cool" is a subset of "looking good", and that "attractiveness" and "perfection" are not synonymous.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I'm inclined to agree with LA Guy against LA Gal. I can't think of anyone I've ever seen who "looked cool" who did not thereby also "look good", though the opposite is not true. If you look cool, you automatically look good.

Jen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
LA Guy respectfully disagrees with LA Gal. In fact, LA Guy believes that LA Gal (i.e. Jen) fails to recognize that "looking cool" is a subset of "looking good", and that "attractiveness" and "perfection" are not synonymous.
This is inconsistent with your prior statements, in which you have said that sometimes the point of looking cool is not looking good (ie, the complement of looking good has a nontrivial intersection with looking cool...ergo it cannot be a subset
tounge.gif
) To give a concrete example, I think that your low-slung RRs look good, but the bunched up neckline of your Retrofamosa Our Lady of Guadalupe sweatshirt does not look so good. This would add visual interest with a slim pair of Jeans (APC maybe) but is too bunchy with the Corpus or RR. I have to admit, though, I sort of like it that you don't listen to me about such things.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the person I guess. The visual contrasts between fitted top and loose bottom (to broadly generalize) has always been a hit or miss in my book. I tend to prefer slim all along because I'm short.

!luc

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jen
This is inconsistent with your prior statements, in which you have said that sometimes the point of looking cool is not looking good (ie, the complement of looking good has a nontrivial intersection with looking cool...ergo it cannot be a subset
tounge.gif
)

To give a concrete example, I think that your low-slung RRs look good, but the bunched up neckline of your Retrofamosa Our Lady of Guadalupe sweatshirt does not look so good. This would add visual interest with a slim pair of Jeans (APC maybe) but is too bunchy with the Corpus or RR.

I have to admit, though, I sort of like it that you don't listen to me about such things.

Since any further comment on my part will result in a less than satistfactory viewing of "Must See Thursday", I will refrain from commenting at this time.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
Depends on the person I guess. The visual contrasts between fitted top and loose bottom (to broadly generalize) has always been a hit or miss in my book. I tend to prefer slim all along because I'm short.

!luc

I agree that not all silhouettes work for all people, but the point of my original post was that a bit of Wabi-sabi, to use a gratuitous foreign language phrase, creates a more interesting effect than perfection, which I find visually sterile. In the Sartorialist's blog, for example, I generally much prefer the picture of models on break in "civvies", the "Old Man Style" photos, or the streetwear photos, to the perfectly coiffed, impeccably dressed guys (usually outfitted either in ridiculously expensive casualwear or in suits) he sometimes photographs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads