1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Perfect loafer?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by K to Wall St, Nov 26, 2017.

1. K to Wall St

K to Wall St Active Member

I have several pairs of oxfords im very happy with; 2 pairs of C&J, 3 pairs of AE, but have not been able to find a pair of basic brown loafers that meet the following criteria:

Handsome profile (slim but not too fashion forward)
    Quality materials (quality leathers with Blake or Goodyear construction)
    Comfortable (not too narrow in the toe box)
    Stays on my heel when I walk
    About $300 or less (including any discounts) maybe push to $350

Seems like everything I like is over $400. Did try Jack Erwin Abe but the fit seemed awkward (narrow toe box, which was mad worse by a forward-pitched stance that made me feel like I was sliding down into the toe box).

Any suggestions?

2. papado

papado Well-Known Member

I really like the Allen Edmonds Verona II (made in Italy)--takes after the Gucci bit loafer but is a little more conservative and able to be resoled by AE factory. Retail is 350 and one can normally find a deal (or factory 2nds). Typical round toe with soft calfskin that grabs the heel well.

Also AE randolph is not bad depending on if it works for you--bourbon color was on sale for 245 as of black friday.

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Distinguished Member

JL Ashley... but that’s WAY OVER $300... under $300 you’re looking at Loake, Trickers, or AE.

4. K to Wall St

Anyone familiar with the Paul Evans “Stewart” loafer? It’s $400 but can get 25%-35% off.

5. P-K-L

P-K-L Distinguished Member

The CJ Harvard are the most handsome loafers there are imo - just doesnt fit into your budget.
    Still, think about them

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017

6. K to Wall St

Website says they’re an unlined version of the Boston... what are the pros and cons to being unlined? I haven’t come across that before in shoes, though I’m of course familiar with an unlined jacket.

7. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Distinguished Member

Better in the summer and certainly a bit more comfortable. Less support for your arches, however.

I had an unlined pair of EG loafers (The Buxton) which I sold because they didn't offer as much support as I wanted.

If the loafers you like keep slipping off your heel you may have to consider the sizing better. Sometimes I size down half a size on loafers so they are more snug and thus don't fall off the heel.

8. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior Member

777F0139-C172-4ED1-B7DB-B397178435EF.jpeg Sid Mashburn Italian Penny Loafer.Ive yet to find a better profile .Over your requested budget,but better not compromise on investment shoes eh.
    I forget who the Italian maker is,but if you track that info down,you could probably find them and save a buck.

9. notdos

notdos Senior Member

10. K to Wall St

Within CJ I was looking at the Sydney, which seeks a little sleeker than Harvard/Boston. Also a little cheaper.

11. K to Wall St

Justin Fitzpatrick Strike me as too fashion forward.

12. shrink1061

shrink1061 Senior Member

I have the syndey. Now I'm a fairly standard size 7 UK normally, its what fits me in crockett 348, Alfred sargent lasts, and most loake shoes. It's also my perfect fit from cheaney too.

However, my sydneys I took a chance on a 6.5UK. I did this because I don't want heel slip on a loafer, and the size 7's in the 341 were just too big at the back (a problem I have is small heel / waist area which is worse on unlaced shoes). Now my feet are a tiny bit wider at the front than they are at the back, but actually I found that I fit fairly well into the 6.5's.

I can feel my toes pressing a little against the front of the toe box, but even walking an entire day, it never strays into uncomfortable, and they'll give a bit over time.

Id definitely think about sizing down a little in a 341 unless you have particularly wide heel area, at which point they're probably quite true to size.

13. Clouseau

Clouseau Distinguished Member

You didn't specify what kind of Loafers, but from what i understand you mean Penny Loafers.

The best i had, but they are over your budget, were JM Weston 180.

Otherwise the Rancourt are great quality.

14. P-K-L

P-K-L Distinguished Member

With you being from paris, what other loafer could you recommend...?

15. Von Franz

Von Franz Senior Member