• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perfect grey trousers

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm on the market for a pair of perfect grey trousers, flat front, no cuffs. Any suggestions on labels I should look towards? I'll be wearing these in an office environment, so while I would like them to not look like balloon pants (I'm a somewhat slim guy), I would also not like these to be too slim.

I have a budget of around $50-150.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to a Banana Republic outlet and pay $35 or so for a pair that fits in the waist and is not too short then take them to a tailor.

PoundSand

Reaction score
2nd BR for slacks. Although I often find better prices in the sale racks at the regular stores than I do at the outlets.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a couple of pair of Coppley slacks - one was gray flat front and I didn't have them cuffed. Great quality, the fabric feels great. They seem to fit more slim than "traditional" American brands I own in the same size, but they are not too slim. They are 100% wool. The sales person said it is special weave - something about twisting the threads - that helps reduce wrinkles and helps keep the crease.

I got them on sale in your price range.

Chris

minervau

Reaction score
Mabitex on SF's sale forums is the standard recommendation.

arc

Reaction score
Fork out an extra 50 for Panta!

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
Go to a Banana Republic outlet and pay $35 or so for a pair that fits in the waist and is not too short then take them to a tailor.

Anytime I've ever been tempted by BR trousers, I take a look at the composition tag - usually where terms like polyester, rayon, spandex and other man made textiles are prevalent and wool, cotton, or other natural materials contributions are small to nonexistent - and quickly come back to reality.

The fit might be ok, but the materials ... "craptastic" comes to mind.

johnteachl

Reaction score
I'm a fan of Banana Republic as well, be careful when you're in the outlets. Many of the pants are outlet quality - poly blends made specifically for outlet sales.

I bought a few pairs thinking I was getting a great deal and came home to find they were poly blends.

marshtj

Reaction score
What is Panta? I've seen it mentioned several times.

Balthazar

Reaction score
I had the perfect charcoal pants and then I tore a huge hole in them. I still get a bit weepy when I think about it as I haven't been able to find a replacement.

Anyway, they were RLBL, retailed for $395, but I think I got them at a Saks sale for $150 or so. You may find some floating around ebay in your price range.

zoneahead

Reaction score
I was in the market for a pair of staple mid-grey trousers a few months ago and ended up purchasing a pair from Howard Yount (styleforum member chorse123) that I love. Great fabric, construction and fit. They fall within your budget at the higher end.

PoundSand

Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
Anytime I've ever been tempted by BR trousers, I take a look at the composition tag - usually where terms like polyester, rayon, spandex and other man made textiles are prevalent and wool, cotton, or other natural materials contributions are small to nonexistent - and quickly come back to reality.

The fit might be ok, but the materials ... "craptastic" comes to mind.

eh? most of BR's dress pants are all or mostly wool (a couple percent spandex here, some silk there) - http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...y.do?cid=34724 (don't mind the chinos, of course)- at least at the mainline stores. Can't speak for the outlets.

My best BR find was a pair of wool trousers for $8.
biggrin.gif

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PoundSand
eh? most of BR's dress pants are all or mostly wool (a couple percent spandex here, some silk there) - http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...y.do?cid=34724 (don't mind the chinos, of course)- at least at the mainline stores. Can't speak for the outlets.

My best BR find was a pair of wool trousers for $8.
biggrin.gif

I have to admit I'm leery of BR. Even when the materials say they're 100% something, it usually is on the very low end of spectrum. In general, I've just never kept my BR stuff for very long, always end up regretting the purchase, and often find that it looks really bad with age, much worse than other labels.

Have I just had a few bad experiences or is this a generally true thing with BR?

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minervau
Mabitex on SF's sale forums is the standard recommendation.

I thought it was Incotex?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics