1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Perception of young guy smoking cigars.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by ozymandias, Oct 1, 2009.

1. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

I'm 23 and have roughly 500 cigars in my humidor. Smoking is just about my favorite social activity with buddies. So relaxing and usually leads of great conversation. For me it's a social activity. I don't smoke and go for a stroll around town. Smoking means I'm on my patio, at the club, or cigar bar.

2. Counterpoint

Counterpoint New Member

I always so feel embarrassed by the pretenses of my youth (i.e. anything I've ever done until a day before yesterday) and ask myself who the heck I think I am, trying to pull _____ off as if I'm the shit? And then I think, well, today I'm old/mature enough, and can proceed. Repeat two days later.

When I was 20 I cringed at how dumb I must have looked puffing a massive cigar at 16. And when I was 22, I felt even more embarrassed by my smoking at 20. And the pattern continues. I wish I'd have ordered the cheaper beer last time I was out with friends, but tonight I'll feel it's alright....until tomorrow!

OP: here's the lesson: just do what you have to do. Yes, you'll look like a bit of a douche and will feel somewhat self-conscious, but you need to start, and the sooner the better. Whenever someone tries acquiring a sophisticated taste they look dumb...until they succeed and then everyone else wishes they were as cool.

I still cringe at my 16 year old self, puffing Churchill cigars and coughing my brains out on Park Ave. Ordering wines whose names I couldn't pronounce. Bragging about my crappy suits. Eating cheeses that made me gag. Going to the Opera and reading impossibly boring and difficult books (on the subway!). I called myself an "existentialist" (I didn't even know what that meant!)

And all of this was with friends who wore tee shirts and talked sports. [​IMG]

I think we have all been there at one point or another. As long as you realise your mistake before you turn twenty, it's all good though.

I usually smoke my cigars either alone or with an acquaintance of mine. Never really understood the point of doing it in public. Saw a picture of the rapper Kanye West at some event where he was standing around with an unlit Cohiba cigar in his mouth. Such behaviour is really quite repugnant.

3. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

OP: here's the lesson: just do what you have to do. Yes, you'll look like a bit of a douche and will feel somewhat self-conscious, but you need to start, and the sooner the better. Whenever someone tries acquiring a sophisticated taste they look dumb...until they succeed and then everyone else wishes they were as cool.

I still cringe at my 16 year old self, puffing Churchill cigars and coughing my brains out on Park Ave. Ordering wines whose names I couldn't pronounce. Bragging about my crappy suits. Eating cheeses that made me gag. Going to the Opera and reading impossibly boring and difficult books (on the subway!). I called myself an "existentialist" (I didn't even know what that meant!)

And all of this was with friends who wore tee shirts and talked sports. [​IMG]

The point is, if youre doing it and enjoy it, you wont look like a douche. If youre doing it to look cool, you wont, and you WILL look like a douche. It seems as though you did a lot of stuff just to look like you were mature and cultured. That is very sad.

4. sartorialism

sartorialism Senior member

The point is, if youre doing it and enjoy it, you wont look like a douche. If youre doing it to look cool, you wont, and you WILL look like a douche. It seems as though you did a lot of stuff just to look like you were mature and cultured. That is very sad.

yeah, but I think I turned out alright. I guess it's better to aspire to those things, right?[​IMG]

5. bing

bing Senior member

I just starting getting into cigars a couple years ago and don't keep many around. My wife hates them... i'm a ways away from 30 still but take any chance i can get to have a good cigar... really only a few times a year.

I couldn't care less if older dudes think it's inappropriate, but i also don't think that they do. Everyone appreciates when others take an interest or develop an interest in a common activity. Just be respectful of those around you, that's all.

6. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

I just starting getting into cigars a couple years ago and don't keep many around. My wife hates them... i'm a ways away from 30 still but take any chance i can get to have a good cigar... really only a few times a year.

I couldn't care less if older dudes think it's inappropriate, but i also don't think that they do. Everyone appreciates when others take an interest or develop an interest in a common activity. Just be respectful of those around you, that's all.

[​IMG]

7. nootje

nootje Senior member

started smoking cigars in my early twenties, mostly to be able to stay away from the cigarettes (quit cigs for 2 years, going out brought a lot of temptation, cigars were my method to keep that at bay) started smoking them even more and got some jobs in the business. most people dont care, and the GF thinks that I should enjoy myself, so I can still smoke indoors.

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Just trying to get a consensus here.

What do you think when you see young guys (19-27) smoking cigars. Is it cool, or does it come off try-hard. What do you think.

i chuckle when we pass by these cigar rooms and there are these young guys in there smoking cigars. understandable though, just got their first job at some corporate place , now they cant help to think their some big shot or important , want to portray some image. wait a decade or so and thatll wane. or not.

9. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

a majority of the young people smoking in cigar bars are exactly that, but you can tell who is enjoying themselves and who is just blowing smoke. Ive smoked cigars since I was 17 and have never smoked a cigarette