1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Perception of young guy smoking cigars.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by ozymandias, Oct 1, 2009.

1. videogeek

videogeek Senior member

...Smoking cigars at bars/parties/restaurants gets some people pissed off and I don't wanna ruin someone's night, so usually I don't do that.

+1

Unless you're in a cigar bar or other establishment where it's considered the norm, the likelihood is that you're ruining someone else's time. Kind of douchey no matter how young or old you are.

2. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    Ordering something that you don't want just because you don't want to stand out is, in my opinion, just as contemptible as ordering something expensive, which you don't enjoy, just so you can stand out.

I agree, but there can be a compromise. As Cavalier said, you can order something that stands out less. I also don't see anything wrong with simply not going to dive bars. If someone doesn't like crappy atmospheres and cheap beer it's probably not a place they're going to fit in anyway. I don't like death metal, so I don't go to Cannibal Corpse shows because it's not my thing, and I wouldn't enjoy what's going on there. This, to me, makes more sense than going to the show and talking about how great R.E.M. is.

3. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Seriously you people are so confused. I mean yes, you will look like an ass if you walk into a real dive bar and ask "What is your finest scotch please, I'll have a double, and make sure to keep it away from the coors-swilling plebes..."

But if they carry something and you know what you want, there is absolutely no issue. I was at a dirty divey bar with a certain (hot, still can't get over just how hot and fun) female acquaintance of mine, and the bar actually had an amazing whiskey selection, comparable to some high-end places.

4. Cavalier

Cavalier Senior member

Seriously you people are so confused. I mean yes, you will look like an ass if you walk into a real dive bar and ask "What is your finest scotch please, I'll have a double, and make sure to keep it away from the coors-swilling plebes..." But if they carry something and you know what you want, there is absolutely no issue. I was at a dirty divey bar with a certain (hot, still can't get over just how hot and fun) female acquaintance of mine, and the bar actually had an amazing whiskey selection, comparable to some high-end places.
    There's plenty of whiskey oriented "dive bars" out there that specialize in this sort of things. In reality they aren't dives merely selling that sort of atmosphere to a different target client base, generally young professionals who want some where relaxed to have a nice drink. We have one down the street from me that also great food, but you're going to find YPs and trust funders at it.

5. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

I don't give a fuck what everyone else is drinking, if i want a scotch, I'll get a fucking scotch. Why should I get a beer if I want a scotch? Just to fit in? It's not like I am fucking sitting there going "Scotchy scotch scotch.. so tasty.. look at those poor losers drinking beer"
    Maybe it's a cultural thing (or lack of favourite drink) but my buddies typically drink whatever I'm drinking and vice versa. If I see my buddy having a beer, I'll join him. If the scotch is open, we drink scotch. Rarely do we go through the hassle of opening another bottle or ordering a separate pitcher.

6. SVS

SVS Senior member

I've smoked cigars for 20 years. I smoked them before the craze and still enjoy them. I never did to be cool and no one ever looked at me funny. The people who just want to stand out will always look like idiots.

I also only order high-end vodka drinks. I've been doing it since before I was of legal age. Again, no one has ever thought anything of it.

Actually, I've never given a rats ass what people thought (with the exception of not smoke were it will inconvenience others) so I guess I really don't know what they thought ...

7. javyn

javyn Senior member

Just trying to get a consensus here.

What do you think when you see young guys (19-27) smoking cigars. Is it cool, or does it come off try-hard. What do you think.

They come off the same as young guys wearing suspenders to me. Unless you're seasoned and accomplished, wear a god damned belt.

8. Eccentric

Eccentric Senior member

I think this is akin to the various threads asking how a young guy pulls off a blazer. It either comes naturally to you or it doesn't. Either way, people will know. If you enjoy cigars for what they are, and not for some image of a "man smoking a cigar", then you will probably be noticed no more for it than one more advanced in age. As has been stated several times, be careful not to piss off your surroundings, as you are then a douche no matter how old you look.

9. johnmac

johnmac New Member

Yes, it is hard to try for cigar smoking. If you are a newbie and trying to smoke cigar for the first time it is good that you start with cigerette smoking and then to switch on cigar smoking as cigars are hard to smoke and it will be difficult to adjust with those.

10. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I'm 19, and I smoke cigars. If anyone tells me that I'm trying too hard, or I look like I'm contrived, I'll probably tell them politely to go fuck themselves. I smoke them because I like them, not because of what anyone else might think. If they are irritated by the smoke, and polite, I will move to somewhere where I am not bothering them. Else, I don't worry what other people think.

11. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Senior member

i'm 19 -- i smoke about one cigar a week with another guy here on the forum (he's 20) Warren G.

we're pretty big on cigars. it's not really a status thing -- half the time we go smoke alone at a park and enjoy the weather or sometimes smoke out by my pool. it's definitely something we just appreciate for our own reasons.

it's only silly if you're doing it to look like a boss. i settle down with a nice smoke and a cup of coffee/some scotch and discuss life, politics, whatever.

so no i don't think it matters at all as long as you're doing it for the right reasons.

12. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

i'm 19...

and conservative and smarter than average and you appreciate cigars for your own reasons.

13. rjakapeanut

and conservative and smarter than average and you appreciate cigars for your own reasons.
    also future attorney at law. unlike most i'm not afraid to mention how awesome i am.

14. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

holy necro-thread bump, batman.

anyhow. i've been smoking cigars since i was 18 or 19 (27 now). at first, i really didn't have an appreciation for it. i'd go to cigar store at Michigan State, but something and smoke it. i just sort of did it to do it, but it's not like i wanted to stand out and be "the cigar guy". and yes, i find it stupid when i see a guy looking like gordon gecko mowing down the fattest cigar the store has.

as the year passed, i appreciated more and more the work that goes into these things. now, it's basically a part of my life. i've made friendships over them. friends and families reach out to me for recommendations for gifts, parties, etc.

the bad thing is since my appreciation has gone up, my wallet hurts even more and more..................case in point...........having a Cohiba Behike 52 later.

15. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

i'm 19 -- i smoke about one cigar a week with another guy here on the forum (he's 20) Warren G.

make sure he shares those Viajes!!

16. rjakapeanut

holy necro-thread bump, batman.

anyhow. i've been smoking cigars since i was 18 or 19 (27 now). at first, i really didn't have an appreciation for it. i'd go to cigar store at Michigan State, but something and smoke it. i just sort of did it to do it, but it's not like i wanted to stand out and be "the cigar guy". and yes, i find it stupid when i see a guy looking like gordon gecko mowing down the fattest cigar the store has.

as the year passed, i appreciated more and more the work that goes into these things. now, it's basically a part of my life. i've made friendships over them. friends and families reach out to me for recommendations for gifts, parties, etc.

the bad thing is since my appreciation has gone up, my wallet hurts even more and more..................case in point...........having a Cohiba Behike 52 later.

yeah that's the greatest feeling when you get to the point where you really appreciate everything about the cigar: the cigar itself, the process that brought it to you, the actual subculture you're now a part of...it's really tight. in the beginning we smoked alone but we've found a great cigar bar here in new orleans and we're part of that community now.

they are expensive but no regrets. worth every penny imo.

17. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

make sure he shares those Viajes!!

Fasho...my bday smoke line up is going be awesome.
    Enjoy that 52...

18. Will C.

Will C. Senior member

They come off the same as young guys wearing suspenders to me. Unless you're seasoned and accomplished, wear a god damned belt.

...because belts are more comfortable and keep the trousers up more effectively, right? is that it?

19. ErnestoG.

ErnestoG. Senior member

im 21 been smoking cigars since i was 18. i pretty much smoke exlcusively on my front porch by myself with a cup of coffee. For me it has always been about relaxing and doing something I enjoy.

20. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

You guys need upscale friends.

My friends got me into smoking cigars, my GF got me into scotch.