• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Robert Mirfield

Reaction score
Tissot are nice time pieces, analogous to Tag. I feel that people who purchase Tag are really not "watch people" more like "label people" . I am not a fan of Tag. Oris is a more reputable watchmaker as they are their own company not a subsidiary of swatch. I do like the old Heur watches though.

Father Time

Reaction score
The Winner is - ta da!

The Tissot Le Locle Petite Seconde
cheers.gif

Cheers!

CMR16

Reaction score
Anything that is nice and shiny will get peoples attention. I had a piece of crap Nautica that got compliments before I went to the Citizen AT Skyhawk and Shinola. But now I mainly wear Shinolas because of their Horween leather bands and the non-complicated faces that they sport. Not only that, they seem to have that cool vintage look to them. That's the brand to really look at right now. The Tissots, the Seiko's, the Movados and the rest are all respectable and nice but it matters to the comfort of the watch and how much you like it. Rolex's are nice but since everyone seems to have them, they seem to not be as exclusive anymore.

itsonlytime

Reaction score
Could not help but breathe new life into this thread...firstly because it's amused me immensely but also since for the first time in my life I noticed some Tissot watches which looked good and therefore worth investigating hence clicking on this site. I have learnt that Tissot is made by Swatch apparently and then learnt from a shop assistant that Tudor is supposedly made by Rolex. The question I guess becomes brand over substance over value...ie if something holds it value it adds a third dimension something not done by cheaper watches regardless of their merits. I started looking at watches to replace a £200 CK watch which ticked every box until it stopped working and was going to be potentially more expensive to fix than the cost of a new watch hence I started looking about. GQ mag has an article at present about the best beach watch and it's these sort of article which raise brand profile in the midrange I guess. In the end like a car I fear the more you spend the more you need to care about it the less you can simply get on with your life...as they say even a broken watch is right twice a day....but hey I digress..anyone know if the dude bought a Tissot ??

AldridgePrior

Reaction score
Could not help but breathe new life into this thread...firstly because it's amused me immensely but also since for the first time in my life I noticed some Tissot watches which looked good and therefore worth investigating hence clicking on this site. I have learnt that Tissot is made by Swatch apparently and then learnt from a shop assistant that Tudor is supposedly made by Rolex. The question I guess becomes brand over substance over value...ie if something holds it value it adds a third dimension something not done by cheaper watches regardless of their merits. I started looking at watches to replace a £200 CK watch which ticked every box until it stopped working and was going to be potentially more expensive to fix than the cost of a new watch hence I started looking about. GQ mag has an article at present about the best beach watch and it's these sort of article which raise brand profile in the midrange I guess. In the end like a car I fear the more you spend the more you need to care about it the less you can simply get on with your life...as they say even a broken watch is right twice a day....but hey I digress..anyone know if the dude bought a Tissot ??

As a watch person (there aren't many of us) I can say with certainty that, with everything else there is more to a class timepiece than meets the eye (percussion sting*). Tissot do make some nice looking pieces but also a lot of lower end `things`. The fact that you bought a CK watch with a battery highlights your need for a bit of reading (no offence intended my friend). I find it bizarre that people will spend a fortune on classy nice clothing yet wear a tacky watch that belongs on the wrist of a spotty youth.
In spite of saying that, there isn't the immediate need to rush out and buy a Vacheron Constantin OS just to play the part. Quality Swiss watches can be had for a few hundred that have class, sophistication and a bit of horology as well.

itsonlytime

Reaction score
AldridgePrior....Out of interest what would you flag up as decent Swis watches that are worth their salt in the few hundred pound bracket.
Thanks

itsonlytime

Reaction score
I too would be interested in your take on what was an inexpensive but decent and reliable time piece...
ps no offence was taken

TanToes

Reaction score
Wondering where on this forum, has anyone commented about watch quality/durability ? I wouldn't have a gifted Rolex, unless I could sell it. Ugly ugly. Heavy clunky tasteless. Yes, ugly even with diamonds and sapphires. Know LOTS of people who own them.

My prerequisites for watches include sapphire crystal, water resistant to 30+minutes, easily readable, MOP dial (I'm female and prefer to look that way), nothing huge, nothing ugly, nothing trendy, slightly dressy, nothing Chinese. Accent that last one.

I like to compare my watch to a Toyota or Lexus. And, yes, familiar enough with both to know and appreciate them. That's what I've owned forever. Friends who own BMWs,Jaguars, Mercedes, etc, etc. need me to take them to work when their rides are very expensively and embarrassingly in the repair shop. Again. And again.

I'm not so familiar with Tissot watches, so open for input.

Todd Shelton

Reaction score
I think tissot is a practical purchase. Simple, clean design. I've been wearing tissot regularly for 10 years, never felt anything but good about wearing it. Bell & Ross is another brand using clean design - if you're looking to a step up in that same aesthetic.

ReallyCute

Reaction score
Only insecure men think that wearing a Rolex makes them a baller. And only insecure men think that wearing a cheap digital or a SEIKO passed down from their grandfather makes them look bad. I know of several billionaires who wear casio g-shocks, and at the other end there are accountants who wear Rolexes just to try and pick up gold diggers.
What does one being able to afford a Rolex have to do with trying to pick up women? If they like it then they'll buy it and live it. AND, if they can afford one, I highly doubt they are insecure with the money they are raking in to be able to purchase one in the first place. Maybe on the other end you need to get your logic straight or find a better job to afford yourself a Rolex instead of talking smack. There a billionaires with or without expensive watches and same can be said about Accountants.

Tyler Morse

Reaction score
Hey b UD I am new to do you watch thing but I've always loved watches the mechanics of them the precision and care that they go through to make these things even the cheap ones are workers part in their own you can produce something that does something so important as of keeping time which is not an easy thing to do that's why it took so long for the watch or clock to even come along. I don't know the people who basically front tiered the watch now I don't know the people who invented the big things in time keeping and everything but I don't refer to them as watches anymore I'm a collector now I referred to them as timepieces. I've always been a sucker for anything metal that has gears in his mechanical and a man made it you know might not be with his own hands but that bring power that he used that came from his brain you know that's worth the money right there the Innovacion what you're paying for is an art piece itself it's basic you can be a fashion statement you can be a lifestyle choice a collectors item watches are basically Currensy they increase in value unless you have some wild crazy thing was to happen and you know like nobody just need you to watch anymore for is your life for washes are going to be then things that's always going to be around there always want to get better Technology is just going to get crazy for them to watch is a good investment Rolexes and everything hold their value very well usually break even or make a little bit more than what you put in with the relics tutor in the Swiss or Italian watch if it's good brand quality watch you did good. but I've been researching diesel watches to the tissot washes that you have been mentioned in the original post I got my first one today I am 24 years old and I am ball myself a nice room 40-year-old man watch you know watch that a man that is got his life together and in sweat and a dumb files. I'm not a rich by any means I work hard every day I do landscaping with $11 an hour I have a pressure washer that I do on the weekends and sometimes at the work if I get off early enough I can make as much in two days as I can make in two weeks doing landscaping 40 hours a week. That right there is a right to me considering that I came from nothing and South Carolina in the middle of nowhere nobody knew me I'm just an old good old boy from the woods and I've love watches all my life but Watch that I got today I absolutely love it is a beautiful watch and I actually bought a watch before it this morning and already knew I was going to take it back and put another hundred dollars with that money that I get for the return of their watch that originally bought that morning in your head and get The tissot watch I have seen the magazines and fashion stuff never worn one never seen one in public on somebodies wrist I have not seen one so I consider their rare to me you do start see too many nice quality watches anymore people are scared to wear them you got to be very careful with them they are tough but they're nice and you don't want scratches and bumps and Pitts

Jake Tough

Reaction score
I honestly think that Tissot makes decent mid-range watches. Some of their pieces even look expensive. If you're not a demanding individual Tissot could perfectly do the job. You just pick one from the tissot watches review provided it suits your style or attire.

That said, if you can afford more expensive watches then go for Tag Heuer or Rolex.

I'm not okay with the "perception" thing though. It sounds needy and insecure. Who gives a **** about what people might think of you or your watch? At the end of the day, a watch is just a time-piece. You use it to read time. Don't link it to your self-image. That's pathetic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads