1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Perception of Tissot Watches

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by foryoureyesonly, Oct 2, 2010.

1. upperhouse

upperhouse New Member

Let me put your mind at ease. the Tissot watch brand has a storied history. They were founded in 1853, have all kinds of endorsements with several of the most well known organizations in the world. Look up their history on Wikipedia.

As mentioned earlier, they are owned by the Swatch company who produce all of the ETA movements, which are in most of the high end watches in the world.

I am about to purchase the Tissot Couturier. It has a Valjoux 7750 movement in it, one of the most prestigious movements in the world for chronograph watches, which have been used by Rolex, Panerai, and Tag Huer.

Tissot was just featured in the latest Tom Cruise Mission Impossible movie, and what a prestigious product endorsement that was. They showed close-ups of the Tissot watch on 2 separate occasions.

Many people may not be aware of Tissot's rich and long watch making history since 1853, but in my opinion it is a very respectable watch, if not slightly prestigious. And if you get the Tissot Couturier with the Valjoux 7750 movement in it, at about $1,000.00, you will be wearing one of the most prestigious watches in the world, because it is primarily the movement in the watch that establishes its quality, and thereby it's prestige.

Likewise, the JazzMaster Lord Hamilton watch by Hamilton, also has a Valjoux 7750 movement in it, at about $1,00.00, if you're interested in looking at that watch also.

When you think of it, Tom Cruise and the producers of the Mission Impossible franchise are making movies at the highest level of movie making. The mission Impossible movies are all about the most innovative technology in the world. For them to choose Tissot as a product endorsement watch in that movie was a huge endorsement of how much respect they have for the Tissot brand.

Now, to all of you judgmental A-Holes who are trying to judge this man on his desire to have a watch that will represent him in a respectable manner, F-Off! He asked for your opinion on the watches, not for your judgment on him as a person.

If you're not a watch aficionado, that's fine, but don't judge those who have been seduced by the history of watch making, and who can appreciate the fine craftsmanship that goes into making a superior luxury watch, and don't judge those who want to make sure that they are representing themselves in a fashionable and respectful manner.

After all, we live in a superficial world. That's the way it is, and if you desire to get a watch that others will respect, then that's what you have to do, because those superficial people in the world who are already successful, only want to deal with others that they perceive to be successful also, and those are the people that they will give opportunities to for future successes.

I do hope this post was of some assistance to you. Good luck with your final decision, and purchase!

2. Father Time

Father Time New Member

http://www.rankingthebrands.com/Brand-detail.aspx?brandID=3030

Take a look at this site to get an idea about Tissot's compared with other SWISS brands. For me it would be a no brainer...you will be getting a great watch at a reasonable price level. If anyone snobs Tissot they may have to change their perception.

Cheers and happy time-keeping! [​IMG]

3. Father Time

Father Time New Member

BTW... according to the 2015/2015 global lists of Swiss brands (not just watch makers) lists, Tissot periodically 'out-brands' (new term that I think hehe) such famous and more costly companies as IWC, Jaeger le Coultre, Rado and Breitling, just to name a few!

Cheers again! [​IMG]

4. jav1984

jav1984 New Member

i have friends that are millionaires and wear casio , timex and some wear rolex but dont buy anything to impress others .. I have invictas that really take my abuse for yrs and i just bought this tissot and im in love [​IMG]

5. Father Time

Father Time New Member

Your friends probably have amazing cars, homes and wardrobes to impress with! After all, a watch is a rather smallish accessory that can only be seen properly up close. If it looks nice, then that's sufficient right?

BTW you made a beautiful choice - gratz! [​IMG] It will definitely give you many years of trouble free service! And keep looking good too!

I am still trying to decide between these two - I am a manual watch fan though I do have many quartz watches which I wear regularly.

T006.428.11.038.00 - Le Locle auto petite seconde

or

T035.428.11.051.00 - T-TREND COUTURIER

Both are stunning but I can only get one (for now), so I have to chose quickly as it will be a wedding anniversary present from my wife soon!

Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  6. Robert Mirfield

Robert Mirfield New Member

Tissot are nice time pieces, analogous to Tag. I feel that people who purchase Tag are really not "watch people" more like "label people" . I am not a fan of Tag. Oris is a more reputable watchmaker as they are their own company not a subsidiary of swatch. I do like the old Heur watches though.

7. Father Time

Father Time New Member

The Winner is - ta da!

[​IMG]

The Tissot Le Locle Petite Seconde [​IMG]

Cheers!

8. CMR16

CMR16 Active Member

Anything that is nice and shiny will get peoples attention. I had a piece of crap Nautica that got compliments before I went to the Citizen AT Skyhawk and Shinola. But now I mainly wear Shinolas because of their Horween leather bands and the non-complicated faces that they sport. Not only that, they seem to have that cool vintage look to them. That's the brand to really look at right now. The Tissots, the Seiko's, the Movados and the rest are all respectable and nice but it matters to the comfort of the watch and how much you like it. Rolex's are nice but since everyone seems to have them, they seem to not be as exclusive anymore.

9. itsonlytime

itsonlytime New Member

Could not help but breathe new life into this thread...firstly because it's amused me immensely but also since for the first time in my life I noticed some Tissot watches which looked good and therefore worth investigating hence clicking on this site. I have learnt that Tissot is made by Swatch apparently and then learnt from a shop assistant that Tudor is supposedly made by Rolex. The question I guess becomes brand over substance over value...ie if something holds it value it adds a third dimension something not done by cheaper watches regardless of their merits. I started looking at watches to replace a £200 CK watch which ticked every box until it stopped working and was going to be potentially more expensive to fix than the cost of a new watch hence I started looking about. GQ mag has an article at present about the best beach watch and it's these sort of article which raise brand profile in the midrange I guess. In the end like a car I fear the more you spend the more you need to care about it the less you can simply get on with your life...as they say even a broken watch is right twice a day....but hey I digress..anyone know if the dude bought a Tissot ??

10. AldridgePrior

AldridgePrior Member

As a watch person (there aren't many of us) I can say with certainty that, with everything else there is more to a class timepiece than meets the eye (percussion sting*). Tissot do make some nice looking pieces but also a lot of lower end `things`. The fact that you bought a CK watch with a battery highlights your need for a bit of reading (no offence intended my friend). I find it bizarre that people will spend a fortune on classy nice clothing yet wear a tacky watch that belongs on the wrist of a spotty youth.
    In spite of saying that, there isn't the immediate need to rush out and buy a Vacheron Constantin OS just to play the part. Quality Swiss watches can be had for a few hundred that have class, sophistication and a bit of horology as well.

11. itsonlytime

itsonlytime New Member

AldridgePrior....Out of interest what would you flag up as decent Swis watches that are worth their salt in the few hundred pound bracket.
    Thanks

12. itsonlytime

itsonlytime New Member

I too would be interested in your take on what was an inexpensive but decent and reliable time piece...
    ps no offence was taken

13. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

You'll find some excellent information on this very subject in the Poor Man's Watch Thread. There's also a much more lively discussion in that thread.

14. TanToes

TanToes New Member

Wondering where on this forum, has anyone commented about watch quality/durability ? I wouldn't have a gifted Rolex, unless I could sell it. Ugly ugly. Heavy clunky tasteless. Yes, ugly even with diamonds and sapphires. Know LOTS of people who own them.

My prerequisites for watches include sapphire crystal, water resistant to 30+minutes, easily readable, MOP dial (I'm female and prefer to look that way), nothing huge, nothing ugly, nothing trendy, slightly dressy, nothing Chinese. Accent that last one.

I like to compare my watch to a Toyota or Lexus. And, yes, familiar enough with both to know and appreciate them. That's what I've owned forever. Friends who own BMWs,Jaguars, Mercedes, etc, etc. need me to take them to work when their rides are very expensively and embarrassingly in the repair shop. Again. And again.

I'm not so familiar with Tissot watches, so open for input.

15. TanToes

TanToes New Member

water resistant to 30+ meters

16. Todd Shelton

Todd Shelton Member

I think tissot is a practical purchase. Simple, clean design. I've been wearing tissot regularly for 10 years, never felt anything but good about wearing it. Bell & Ross is another brand using clean design - if you're looking to a step up in that same aesthetic.

17. ReallyCute

ReallyCute New Member

Quote:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  18. ReallyCute

ReallyCute New Member

What does one being able to afford a Rolex have to do with trying to pick up women? If they like it then they'll buy it and live it. AND, if they can afford one, I highly doubt they are insecure with the money they are raking in to be able to purchase one in the first place. Maybe on the other end you need to get your logic straight or find a better job to afford yourself a Rolex instead of talking smack. There a billionaires with or without expensive watches and same can be said about Accountants.