1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Per Se vs. Eleven Madison Park

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Jun 12, 2011.

1. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

not that this is necessarily the thread for it, but Per Se's restaurant neighbor , Masa, was reviewed again in the times. And reduced from 4-stars to 3-stars.

2. nmprisons

nmprisons Senior member

not that this is necessarily the thread for it, but Per Se's restaurant neighbor , Masa, was reviewed again in the times. And reduced from 4-stars to 3-stars.

Yeah, Sam Sifton is probably the worst big-time food critic in the country right now. It is literally a running joke amongst those in the restaurant business here.

3. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

so you think the faults he mentions are excusable for a 4-star restaurant at the moment?

4. RSS

RSS Senior member

What is it, this guide, that gives more than three stars?

5. nmprisons

nmprisons Senior member

so you think the faults he mentions are excusable for a 4-star restaurant at the moment?

I think that one would experience similarly "inexcusable" faults at Del Posto, which he elevated from three to four stars.

Sifton reminds me of an art critic more than a food critic: he cares far too much about context for my taste.

6. randallr

randallr Senior member

I don't really see the foodie scene much at places like Daniel, or even EMP where I'd certainly expect them. Maybe I don't pay attention that much, but it's pretty blatant at places like Prune and Buttermilk Channel. And it is insufferable.

You're one of them!

7. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    What are the opinions regarding Picholine vs. Modern?

8. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

You're one of them!
    dood I'd much rather be a foodie at Daniel and respect the food than at B-C and be clueless with my mustache and my locality mantra.

9. nmprisons

nmprisons Senior member

What are the opinions regarding Picholine vs. Modern?

The Modern, and its not particularly close.

10. untilted

untilted Senior member

PS, while I agree very plush and a super prime location with real estate that is $$$$ and worth it, is still on the fourth floor of a shopping mall.

HAHAHA. just to play devil's advocate, EMP is on the first floor of an investment bank!

I loved tasting menus at both, thought EMP was just as good with less $$$. but honestly, if you are eating at those places, you are not caring about that $ differential, right?

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

HAHAHA. just to play devil's advocate, EMP is on the first floor of an investment bank! I loved tasting menus at both, thought EMP was just as good with less $$$. but honestly, if you are eating at those places, you are not caring about that $ differential, right?
    What? Of course you care. My first meal at Alinea I saved every penny for 6 months. If they had somehow charged me $25 more than I thought they were going to, I'd have been rolling up my sleeves in the dishpit. You'd be surprised how many people go to these places with very little disposable income and this is what they save up for.

12. SField

SField Senior member

What? Of course you care. My first meal at Alinea I saved every penny for 6 months. If they had somehow charged me $25 more than I thought they were going to, I'd have been rolling up my sleeves in the dishpit. You'd be surprised how many people go to these places with very little disposable income and this is what they save up for.

Yea, I've actually seen Northwestern students at Alinea twice get a nasty surprise once the bill came, and I don't think they were the kind of people that could just put it on the card and not care.

13. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The Modern, and its not particularly close.
    Yea I disagree (and so does Michelin). I much prefer Picholine in every way, even if it's less inventive than the Modern. Warmer service, more enjoyable atmosphere, excellent food. The Modern is a place I'd recommend for lunch because the setting is hard to beat in daylight, but it's cold and uninviting at night. When it comes to the food, the Modern gets so caught up in living up to being a modern museum restaurant that it tries tway too hard and the minimalist/artistic plating thing is tiring and detracts a little bit from enjoying the food - a tad theme-parkish for me. Picholine is completely unpretentious and comfortable, our waiters there have always been uber friendly and helpful - all refreshing qualities for a 2 star michelin restaurant. And needless to say the cheese cart is a fantastic end of meal for anyone who likes cheese. I could have dinner at Picholine every month, but don't think I'll have dinner at The Modern again.

14. nmprisons

nmprisons Senior member

I agree with you on the cheese cart. Otherwise, different strokes for different folks, I guess.

15. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

I personally could never understand the cheese cart at the end of the meal. Cheese is too filling to be consumed at the end, imho. I know a lot of high-end restrnts practice that in France as well as in US ,but it seems a bit gimmicky to me. I cannot see myslef eating assorted cheese plate after a 3-5 course dinner.

16. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

17. RSS

RSS Senior member

I personally could never understand the cheese cart at the end of the meal. Cheese is too filling to be consumed at the end, imho. I know a lot of high-end restrnts practice that in France as well as in US ,but it seems a bit gimmicky to me. I cannot see myslef eating assorted cheese plate after a 3-5 course dinner.
    To say that it is too filling for you is fine. To suggest that it is gimmicky is just amusing.

18. nmprisons

nmprisons Senior member

it seems a bit gimmicky to me.

You want gimmicky? Order some cheese at the Inn at Little Washington. It literally comes on the back of a large, wheeled cow (named Faira, apparently) that moos. Seriously. But, to be fair, it was probably the best cheese course I have ever had.

19. untilted

untilted Senior member

i underestimated the amount of hardcore foodies at these restaurants then...

i imagine if you save so hard for a meal @ these michelin star restaurants, and the meal doesn't impress you as much as it is hyped up for...it would be a pretty negative feeling.

20. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

i imagine if you save so hard for a meal @ these michelin star restaurants, and the meal doesn't impress you as much as it is hyped up for...it would be a pretty negative feeling.

Than could be easily remedied by a cheese table or a box of chocolates, included in your Prix Fix.