1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Per Se vs. Eleven Madison Park

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

I also like the woman in that video who is baller enough to eat at EMP wearing a "bubble jacket" :slayer::slayer:

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

One would certainly hope.

3. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

No, it was a small camera and I don't feel like I was making a big scene of it.

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Kyle took a video of dessert at Alinea. Of course, we were pretty well lubricated by then and it was almost 2 am ...

5. b1os

b1os Senior member

Looked through the other 84 photos.. I hope you had a good time. Still not sold at all on the concept though, honestly.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  6. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

I spoke to my friend about this - people who dress or act inappropriate in fine dining restaurants - and we came to a few conclusions. Often times, he says, they are (German) tourists. Well tourists in general who come to NY and want to try out that "famous restaurant". He says in particular they seem to be mostly German though, lol. In this case, it was probably the son or nephew who was the real foodie who just wanted to bring his auntie from Hong Kong (or whatever) to a nice meal. Another possibility is of course you can be rich/baller and just have no real sense of decorum or taste and also may not care at all what people think.

7. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

I had a great time. Honestly I am telling you, there's not much of a 'spiel' at all. In fact they cut it down pretty dramatically. You are really being held up on the Wells piece, which is really sad for the restaurant. When we were dining, Humm and Guidara came over to talk to us and he particularly wanted to hear my friend's opinion (since he was the first customer to have the experience twice, pre and post Wells). We talked about the piece and Guidara seemed genuinely interested in feedback and he said they were actively tweaking it.

This is still a 3 star Michelin restaurant, deservedly.

8. b1os

b1os Senior member

Careful there, buddy.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Come on, man... Look at the videos you have up there. It's literally theater at this point. The food might be delicious (I don't think it's been for a few years personally) but that's a lot of mise-en-scène...

10. itsstillmatt

Trust me, it is possible to be put off by a guy grinding a carrot through a meat grinder at your table without knowing who Pete Wells is.

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

I guess you can't beat the couple that sit next to us at Bras.
    He, in his mid 40s or so, western, wore some pinkish fleece long sleeve t-shirt, jeans and boat shoes. She, probably coming from Africa in her mid 30s, wore a matching pink fleece long sleeve t-shirt, some pants and asics sneakers. Backpack under the table. So far so good. The man took off his boat shoes and sat barefeet for a couple of courses. Not only did they put their ellbows on the table in between the courses, they did it while eating - actually they put their arm parallel to their body on the table, leaned closely to the plate, then shuffled the food from the plates into their mouths (approximate distance 5 inches). It was disturbing. And funny, somewhat.

12. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

the dichotomy of people at Bras is quite interesting.

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

I've always liked this place and probably would have gone on my first week back, but this video is making me rethink that. If only my Ukrainian peasant grandmother had known that she could have charged a bloody fortune for grinding food at the table.

Maybe I'm just too grumpy for restaurants these days, but all I want is some decent food and the Greta Garbo treatment.

Lunch at the Slanted Door yesterday wasn't great - food or service. Company was good. Little expensive.
    Dinner at R&G last night was great - food and the chinese waiters know how to get in and out without disturbing your dinner or conversation.

lefty

14. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

Fair enough guys. I am just saying was a good restaurant and still is a good restaurant, regardless of the theatrics. I was at Aldea the night after and the guy spent 10 minutes talking about pourover coffee as he served a neighbor. I admit I egged him on by asking questions and giving him ideas about technique etc, but I also heard him give a lengthy spiel to a stranger 20 minutes earlier. The pourover included the use of a scale, timer, Buono kettle, etc. All of this impresses me because I think tea and coffee service is lacking in high-end restaurants, but this might come off as theatrical to others. I guess this stuff doesn't bother me as much.

15. itsstillmatt

R&G is great. I'm sad I missed it.

I think I am too old for American haute dining these days. I really don't like stories, or shows, or explanations. The only tableside presentation I like is carving a bird, and most American restaurants who do it don't do it right. The last thing I want is to get a lecture every time I eat.

And don't get me fucking started on tickets.

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

this would bring back childhood memories of my family dinner table, and I think memory is an element that restaurants are really trying to harness and incorporate these days.

17. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

But everyone wants a spiel about how clambakes are popular on Long Island, delivered by someone that just moved to Brooklyn from Wisconsin.

18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

"here is a sampling of boudin blanc and boudin noir. Sausage fests are popular and inevitable at Style Forum events."

1 person likes this.
  19. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Food wasn't impressive (pretty flat monotone flavors for each dish) but the view/setting are pretty nice. I wasn't shocked by the price tag, but only because I was charged nearly $50 in the morning for a bowl of granola & yogurt, espresso and fruit juice at my hotel...

20. lefty

lefty Senior member

"Flat monotone flavour in a nice setting." The meal or SanFo?

lefty