• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People with kids - do you regret it?

DStew

Reaction score

This, and I'd like to say that it's also the unconditional love you feel for your kids as well - nothing like it.

+1

Its unreal the way you feel about them. No comparison is adequate. I have plenty of regrets but having kids is not one.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Well, I guess I feel a little better now about the possibility....hopefully it's not a problem we'll encounter for awhile to come (no pun intended). It seems like maybe the switch will just flip in the next few years and I'll be more ready to be a father.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In part the switch may flip in those 9 months. The romcoms* depicting impending parenthood with all that it entails are based on the way it happens for a lot of men/couples.

*To my shame I have seen 9 months, knocked up and in the last year something with Robert D. Jr.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We waited 3 years after we were married before we had kids which helped me be more ready. We had the chance to travel a bit, enjoy being newlyweds etc. before having kids. Now I can't imagine my life without them. Sure, I'd have more money and more time to myself but the unconditional love I get from my kids makes every crappy day at work and every disappointment that happens bearable. It's not always easy but I would definitely do it all over again.

yeah loads of that - still single digits?
plain.gif

For the record, no regrets at all here
smile.gif

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm only 22 but I can never see myself having kids in the foreseeable future..

YOLO EMSHI

Reaction score
I'm only 22 but I can never see myself having kids in the foreseeable future..

Same here, for many reasons. I have a horrible father and have a great fear if somehow I might turn out the exact same way as a parent. Also the responsibility for a human being seems overwhelming, I can see myself being a cool uncle but nothing more than that.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Also the responsibility for a human being seems overwhelming.....

This is probably what I'm most afraid of; the responsibility. I've had bad experiences with pets so I can't imagine all the missteps I'd take with a human.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is probably what I'm most afraid of; the responsibility. I've had bad experiences with pets so I can't imagine all the missteps I'd take with a human.

It's a learning experience that makes the whole trip worthwhile and one that opens up a whole new world. You'd be amazed at what you can do when a child is placed in your care. Of course, one has to be mentally able to undertake such a task, children are not for everyone.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kids are terrific. As Globe said, timing is key.

I know people who had a bunch of kids while they were young and going to school. It was hard on the parents, hard on the kids.

We timed it so that we had our first just as I was graduating from law school and getting my first real job.

Worked out well. We had 4 in all. They're the best part of my life and I'm really proud of all of them. They're at an age now, where the older ones are becoming my peers, and we're terrific friends.

Now, I'm looking forward to grandkids.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Every time I consider that I might want kids I end up witnessing some kid going completely nuts and turning over chairs and throwing food as the parents chase after it. Which usually causes me to decide that I'll wait as long as possible.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 31, engaged, and the idea of kids still terrifies me. There's too much I want to do right now and in the near future, but someday I'm sure it will happen.

I have known a lot of people that grew up and never left their ****** hometown, intentionally had kids in their early 20's and will live there the rest of their lives. That baffles me, it truly does, but I guess some people are content with that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads