1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

People with kids - do you regret it?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Macallan9, Sep 19, 2012.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I am really tough on other people's kids, although there are a lot that I like, it really depends on the kids. I really love hanging out with 5-10 families with their kids, if everyone is cool. we do that kind of thing a lot.

I have a reputation for being mean to bad kids, or impolite kids, or stupid kids, but it makes my life easier, and in the long run it is good for those kids to have a little adult direction.

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

this is the biggest thing - you always have to deal with the kids, no matter what happens. you are sick, you have trouble at work, anything, the kids come first. but such is life

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I don't think that it's selfish. I mean, without kids, society doesn't go on.

I love my kids. I am now 38, had a stepson when I was 30, and then went onto have 3 more, starting when I was 33. Honestly, by that time, I had had plenty of time to travel, chase women, pursue all sorts of crazy hobbies, and prove things to myself. I have a pretty decent living, and I'll say that that is a blessing. I still get to get nice things, and travel some, though these days, it's mostly for work. I'd really rather be home teaching my daughters and toddler son useful things like why The Muppets is actually a very clever movie, proper handwriting technique, and how to punch, kick, and choke effectively. And, you know, playing ball around the house, because the wife/mom loves that.

Since I live in the middle of nowhere, I make sure to take my kids to cities on a fairly regular basis, and I'll take them to decent restaurants. I've always liked kids, and kids are a natural part of society. I think that trying to segregate them from "adult" things is unhealthy. (On a tangential note, some yuppie douchebag came to my table at a restaurant fairly recently, and started berating my kids, so I dragged him out of the restaurant and threw him a $10 so that he could get himself a Big Mac meal. The problem with a lot of people in the UMC is that they don't know how to stfu and keep their opinions to themselves, because they think that the world is so fucking safe for them.)

On occasion, I think how baller I could be if I didn't have to pay for childcare, school, dance, gymnastics, cello, and swim classes, college funds, etc... but tbh, I'm not sure that I'd want to be that baller anyway, and it certainly wouldn't fill up my life the good way children do. (Of course, they are pains in the ass sometimes, but that's to be expected.)

As for the mess, meh. Everything clean and tidy and in its place is highly overrated anyway. I'd rather have energy and chaos.

1 person likes this.
  4. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  5. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Can't wait to have kids.

6. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I think the only difference in my lifestyle before and after having kids is I now get shitfaced on weeknights, rather than weekends.

7. Neo_Version 7

And you mean that literally, right?

8. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

with jaime, sometimes :)

9. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

We waited 3 years after we were married before we had kids which helped me be more ready. We had the chance to travel a bit, enjoy being newlyweds etc. before having kids. Now I can't imagine my life without them. Sure, I'd have more money and more time to myself but the unconditional love I get from my kids makes every crappy day at work and every disappointment that happens bearable. It's not always easy but I would definitely do it all over again.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

This, and I'd like to say that it's also the unconditional love you feel for your kids as well - nothing like it.

11. DStew

DStew Well-Known Member

+1

Its unreal the way you feel about them. No comparison is adequate. I have plenty of regrets but having kids is not one.

12. Macallan9

Macallan9 Senior member

Well, I guess I feel a little better now about the possibility....hopefully it's not a problem we'll encounter for awhile to come (no pun intended). It seems like maybe the switch will just flip in the next few years and I'll be more ready to be a father.

13. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

In part the switch may flip in those 9 months. The romcoms* depicting impending parenthood with all that it entails are based on the way it happens for a lot of men/couples.

*To my shame I have seen 9 months, knocked up and in the last year something with Robert D. Jr.

14. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

yeah loads of that - still single digits? [​IMG]

For the record, no regrets at all here [​IMG]

15. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

I'm only 22 but I can never see myself having kids in the foreseeable future..

16. YOLO EMSHI

YOLO EMSHI Senior member

Same here, for many reasons. I have a horrible father and have a great fear if somehow I might turn out the exact same way as a parent. Also the responsibility for a human being seems overwhelming, I can see myself being a cool uncle but nothing more than that.

17. Neo_Version 7

This is probably what I'm most afraid of; the responsibility. I've had bad experiences with pets so I can't imagine all the missteps I'd take with a human.

18. NORE

NORE Senior member

It's a learning experience that makes the whole trip worthwhile and one that opens up a whole new world. You'd be amazed at what you can do when a child is placed in your care. Of course, one has to be mentally able to undertake such a task, children are not for everyone.

19. WhateverYouLike

WhateverYouLike Senior member

20. Neo_Version 7