• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People who comment on small debit card purchases

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
a Guitar Center employee calling someone an idiot... hmm...

I will admit I added the quote because I thought it was funny. I don't think the simple act of using cash is inane.
blush.gif

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don't understand the backlash against credit card usage. It's faster, you don't end up with a bunch of change you have to carry around and eventually take to the bank to turn into usable currency, and you don't need to take frequent trips to the bank/ATM to continually withdraw cash. Sure, always have cash on you in case of emergency, but why use it when you could use a credit card?

If a business is making you sign a receipt for a $2 purchase nowadays, that's a fault of the business, not the person using the credit card.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
What if we change this statement to, "If you're a man, you should carry around small coins." It doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

I think carrying around change is a PIA, but that's not what we're talking about. If you want to focus on OP's $0.58 situation, I'm suggesting pull out your $1, $5 or $10 bill to pay for it. Oh, you don't have one of those bills? Well you should. That's my point. I don't have any more rationale other than I personally feel you should have some cash on you to make these sorts of purchases. It's fine every once in a while you run out of cash and don't make it to the ATM, it happens. But I don't agree that you pull out your card for every fk'n purchase you make. It's that sort of attitude that, in part, gets most people in credit card debt (or overdrawn accounts). Sure they will pay off the balance every couple of weeks or once a month. Riiiight. I'm not trying to convert or convince anyone of my viewpoint. I use my cc a lot too for the points.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There may be a little bit of a generation gap here.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There may be a little bit of a generation gap here.

Astute observation. I think you're right, although I'd like to think I'm not even 1/2 a generation different than some of these kids.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOL a card purchase for $0.58. LOL, of course people will comment, as they should.

Why? Maybe he doesn't like walking around with change in his pocket. I certainly don't. I ******* hate small change.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Why? Maybe he doesn't like walking around with change in his pocket. I certainly don't. I ******* hate small change.

Geez. You don't need two quarters and a dime to pay for this. Pull out a dollar bill or ask your stripper momma for one. Word.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
Go to my car and get change!? Are you kidding me? Do I work for the coffee shop? I keep quarters only in my car. For meters.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

You can bet that if I'm behind you and you use a card to pay for something that's less then $1 I'm going to laugh at you.

I stand by my thinking that using your card to pay for $.58 at the post office is ******* stupid. It's not that hard to carry the $.42 to your car or to your house where you can keep the change in a jar and take it to the bank every 6 months. Either that or give it to the homeless guy outside the coffee shop.

But hey there are a lot of things that people do that I think is ******* stupid.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Geez. You don't need two quarters and a dime to pay for this. Pull out a dollar bill or ask your stripper momma for one. Word.

I mean the change that fills your pockets when you start paying for everything under a few bucks in cash.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you think of the cost of processing a card transaction between authorization fee, batching fee, clearing and funding costs, the amortization of the equipment and merchant subscription fees, etc... it just seems non-sensical to use a card for such a minuscule payment.

That said, as diorshoe said, whatever float your boat...

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
When you think of the cost of processing a card transaction between authorization fee, batching fee, clearing and funding costs, the amortization of the equipment and merchant subscription fees, etc... it just seems non-sensical to use a card for such a minuscule payment.

That said, as diorshoe said, whatever float your boat...

But it doesn't cost you an extra cent, so why would you, as the consumer, care about that?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
But it doesn't cost you an extra cent, so why would you, as the consumer, care about that?
Exactly

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Be prepared to be told to go **** off while the clerk points to the sign that says no card transactions under X amount. The only form of payment that cannot be refused is cash so learn to carry some.

I guess you have never attented Soifer Haskin.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm probably older than most here but I use my debit card and Amex for nearly everything. It makes tracking spending pretty easy when you can d/l it all.

That said, I carry a couple c-notes in bills of $20 or less at all times. You never know when a system might be down, you need to give a tip, etc. Also, in the highly unlikely event I was ever mugged, security folks say that's about the right amount to have on you to get you out of the situation alive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads