• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People who comment on small debit card purchases

matt22616

Reaction score
Pretty sure any business owner can say **** off I'm not selling my **** to you no matter what form of weak **** you put in my face.......Freedom of Contract?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matt22616
Pretty sure any business owner can say **** off I'm not selling my **** to you no matter what form of weak **** you put in my face.......Freedom of Contract?

that sounds like a savvy biz owner!
plain.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're the dude in front of me paying for his $1.14 coffee with either a credit or debit card, you best believe I'm making some sort of comment in my head.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
If you're the dude in front of me paying for his $1.14 coffee with either a credit or debit card, you best believe I'm making some sort of comment in my head.

100% agree.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A man should carry cash with him at all times.

I thought there was a minimum for someone to use their card. Using a card (whether debit or credit) for less than a $1.00 is a complete ass move.

Man up and get some cash from your couch cushions.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

Originally Posted by ter1413
100% agree.

Originally Posted by teddieriley
A man should carry cash with him at all times.

I thought there was a minimum for someone to use their card. Using a card (whether debit or credit) for less than a $1.00 is a complete ass move.

Man up and get some cash from your couch cushions.

You guys are idiots. It's faster to swipe your card and be done than it is to pay cash and let the dumb ***** behind the counter struggle to make change.

matt22616

Reaction score
that sounds like a savvy biz owner!
plain.gif

Imagine the culture shock when I first realized that people in other countries were ambivalent to making money. As 'Muricans we sometimes take it for granted that if you wave money in the face of a business owner, he/she will do almost anything to take it from you.

This should not be confused, however, with the notion that these business owners are somehow obligated to take your money.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You guys are idiots. It's faster to swipe your card and be done than it is to pay cash and let the dumb ***** behind the counter struggle to make change.

That's what change jars are for. You give a buck or two and leave. vs. "sir please swipe your card, wait, not now, wait, now, swipe it now, wait, try that again, ok that worked, please push the green button, this one, thanks, wait, here's your receipt, thanks for your 12 cents purchase, have a nice day"
ffffuuuu.gif

anyhow... faster or not, someone who doesn't even have one dollar of cash in his pocket should be ready for "comments"...

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pot calling the kettle black. I don't recall indicating which is faster (in some instances, some ass having to pull out a card can take a while). Point being, if your'e a man, you should at least have enough cash to buy yourself a $5 footlong.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348
Sorry, I guess I'm in the minority but paying for $.58 with a card is ******* stupid. Go out to your car and find the change.
Go to my car and get change!?
Are you kidding me? Do I work for the coffee shop? I keep quarters only in my car. For meters.
100% agree.
A man should carry cash with him at all times. I thought there was a minimum for someone to use their card. Using a card (whether debit or credit) for less than a $1.00 is a complete ass move. Man up and get some cash from your couch cushions.
I totally agree that people should always have cash on them. I always have a lot of cash on me and it's great when I go to a restaurant and I'm the only one who doesn't need to pay with a card. The problem is the coins.
Originally Posted by gdl203
That's what change jars are for. You give a buck or two and leave. vs. "sir please swipe your card, wait, not now, wait, now, swipe it now, wait, try that again, ok that worked, please push the green button, this one, thanks, wait, here's your receipt, thanks for your 12 cents purchase, have a nice day"
ffffuuuu.gif
anyhow... faster or not, someone who doesn't even have one dollar of cash in his pocket should be ready for "comments"...

As my fellow Guitar Center employee said at one point: "Anyone who doesn't pay for ******* everything with credit is a ******* idiot." Once every parking meter is the kind that accepts CCs we'll have literally no need for small change except if you love homeless people. You're telling me I should carry around a bunch of coins in my pocket rather than just run it on a CC? You're really asking a lot. I'm more selfish than the average person, but my 2cents (get it? we're talking about change?) is that I'm going to do anything I can do keep from dealing with coinage. TBH I probably wouldn't pay for a $1 purchase with a CC, but would I break a $20 to pay for a .59 envelope? I don't know. Like a previous poster, I try to help small businesses by not using a CC for something under $4. Assuming it's $5 with a 100% standard markup the profit goes from $2.50 to $2. Still better that I bought the drink than didn't. But making an active effort to pay cash at Starbucks? I *don't* think so. In fact, if I was behind you in line and saw you felt bad for using a CC for a $1.50 purchase at Starbucks I'd feel like you were someone who didn't really get the big picture.
+10. Especially considering I don't even have to sign for stuff that's under $25. And then they even have Blink / PayPass to make it even faster. It's lovely. Do you guys feel bad when you pay for a max $2 parking meter with your credit card after they installed the meter especially so you could use it??

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Pot calling the kettle black. I don't recall indicating which is faster (in some instances, some ass having to pull out a card can take a while). Point being, if your'e a man, you should at least have enough cash to buy yourself a $5 footlong.

Pulling out a card wouldn't take any longer than pulling out the same wallet for $2.
And your whole thing about "being a man means carrying cash on you" is just silly. I always carry at least $20 because you never know when you'll need it or be somewhere that only takes cash, but to think that I should carry cash because I'm a man is just strange.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
As my fellow Guitar Center employee said at one point: "Anyone who doesn't pay for ******* everything with credit is a ******* idiot."
a Guitar Center employee calling someone an idiot... hmm...

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Credit is king. As Kyle mentioned, it's a lot faster to swipe a card than to look through a change purse for exact change and/or wait for a clerk to give change. I generally use cash in only two situations: (1) when I need quarters for laundry, and (2) at a crowded bar, so I can leave immediately rather than tracking down the bartender to get my check.

Made in California

Reaction score

What if we change this statement to, "If you're a man, you should carry around small coins." It doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads