people who bitch about tipping are scum?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Teger, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

You are assuming that the restaurant stays busy 7 days a week which is rarely the case. The places where I worked, I made decent money when it was busy (during the hollidays and cold weather). But during the slow days, it was normal to see 20 dollars after an entire night which is about 6 hour shift. If you average that out, its not as much as you assume. You also forgot that part of the buser/bartender salaries come out of waiting staff's salary, which varies depending on the restaurant. One restaurant where I waited required 15% for the buser, so after a slow night, you are going home with basically nothing.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

2. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

What is a coupon?

Some kind of discount you get on a flyer?

My experience: US/Brits/South Americans/Swiss/Wealthy people /Africans Good

Chinese /Germans/Dutch Awful...

3. Prada_Ferragamo

One of the restaurants I worked at used to do promotions in sunday papers which I never expected anyone to see nor use.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Well I'm not sure that they were stealing from us. Fine dining on that high a level is an incredibly expensive thing to produce. Money was most likely lost on food, and in a kitchen with 17 cooks (although several of them working for free), the service charge paid for all of their wages as well. I didn't complain about it. I was more than happy to work for my wage. After all, when I sent in my resume I had offered to work for free if they were willing to teach me, and even with the poor pay it was more than I'd ever made in any of my previous 23 years of life.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Exactly.

20 mins sounds like nothing, its not.

Here is the math: say you make 100$ in a 7 hour shift. 4:30 to prep, leave at 11:30. Thats $14 an hour. Not much money.

Your argument is that you are paying a $25 tip for 20 mins of service. Look at it that way if you want but its just a rationalization. A waiter will divide the hours he spends by the take home pay.

On a really busy night you may make $30 an hour for example but a slow night? Sometimes you walk home with lint in your pockets.

Trust me fellas, if it were that good, more would be all over it.

6. Nil

Nil Senior member

Moving on slightly from the tipping thing, but you can get a very good read on how someone is by the way they treat waiters.

As for pooled tips, do the cooks ever see a portion of that?

7. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I'm just glad my days of waiting tables are LONG behind me.

8. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

I did. I went back, spoke to the manager, told him what happened (in a very civilized way), and they took care of it. The next day, I checked my bank account. They refunded the money and gave me the meal I had fo' free. I didn't ask for it but, I thought it was an incredibly nice gesture.

Working as a fast food employee is not the same as working as a waiter. A fast food employee's paycheck isn't contingent on his service to the customer because he's paid minimum wage or more. Whereas a large part of a waiter's pay is based on how he treats his customers. And just because I'm suggesting you be more sympatheitic towards waiters, in no way suggests that fast food employees be paid more .

9. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Not trying to rationalize anything, just trying to understand the economics.
    If you get $100, at $60 avg. bill (pretty low, depending on establishment) and let's say 15% tip, that would translate into 11 tables waited over this 7 hour period. So at 20 minutes per table, you worked 220 minutes out of a possible 420, so slightly more than 50% utilization. I would say this restaurant has too many waiters for you to make a decent living. (which incidently is something I see quite often)

10. Prada_Ferragamo

Again you are making the assumptions that each table will tip at least 15% if not more, but that's rarely the case. Unless you are working for a higher end fine dining restaurant, half of the tables you get will tip you less than 15% on a giving night. Out of the other half, half will tip you exact 15%, the other half may give you more. Again this is based on a good night. On a slow night, it gets a lot worse for some reason.

The restaurants hire more waiters on the assumption that each waiter will have less tables but they will be more attentive to their customers, assuming that the customers will tip more. Again that's not always the case. In addition, if the hostess/host doesn't like you, she/he might give you bad tables all night. So in the end, you are going home with less desired money after busting your ass.

Finally when you are not waiting tables, restaurants always have side jobs for you to do so you are never free besides the lunch or dinner time. Even during dinner time, when customers come in, you have to serve them.

If you have never worked in a restaurant, which I assume you haven't, you don't know how much shit waiters/waitresses take to make that buck. It doesn't function based on simple mathematical formulas. When you have bad customers, you still have to be nice to them because the last thing you want is a complaint to the manager and your job is in jeopardy.

11. Prada_Ferragamo

I hate it when people assume that if the job doesn't require that much education, it's an easy job and shouldn't be paid that much. There are things in life you will never learn in school such as respect, courtesy, etc, etc. which the waiting staff must embody to make a living.

12. Prada_Ferragamo

The answer is yes. There was an article last year on the way people treat waiters and the way they treat people generally, there was a definite correlation between the two.

13. graphite

graphite Senior member

this man speaks the truth. +1 all the way, from a guy with mirroring experience.

i also worked (just recently quit) at a high-end sushi restaurant.

one thing i wanted to highlight that most people don't realize (i didn't until i started serving) was that servers don't keep their tips. restaurants differ in their methodology, but it is not uncommon for a waiter to have to declare 20% of their tips wages that goes to the rest of the staff (such as those running food, cleaning, bartender, and sushi chef). i lose 20% of my tips to this. the icing on the cake is that this 20% doesn't go to "tip" the rest of the staff, it actually goes to PAY their salaries. as in, the restaurant doesn't pay them their wages, the servers do. yup.

some places pool tips instead of allowing it go to individuals. this is probably the most communist system ever and almost always (in my observations) yielded the worst service to the customers and the least satisfaction among servers.

you may disagree with it, i certainly do. but it's american culture, not the decisions of the servers or workers. it's the collective whole of employers and restaurant owners that propagated this seemingly unfair and frequently underappreciated/undervalued service.

14. blahman

blahman Senior member

Jobs that don't require an education get paid less not because it's any easier, but because on paper everyone has the requirements needed to apply for it.

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

You worked all 420, I promise. If you are free you help others. And of the 20 mins I mentioned dont forget the table will sit there up to 2 hours.

The better math is that on a busy night you may get 2 seatings at an average of $50 per person. Lets say 14 seats. Thats 1400$ in billing. Tips would be close to 200$. After tipping everyone out you leave with $140.

Thats a busy night at a pretty expensive restaurant.

Many restaurants have too many waiters because they are so cheap. It was always a problem. The better the restaurant, many times the worse the treatment because the owners knew that you were making good $ so you would put up with shit. I never did. I just quit. I spent long periods at restaurants that treated the staff better and allowed you a chance to hustle.

To waiters reading the thread: my experience is that you should seek out the busiest restaurant with the highest price, BUSIEST comes first. If you are treated well, stick around, if not leave. Dont accept it.