1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

people who bitch about tipping are scum?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Teger, Jul 22, 2011.

1. HgaleK

HgaleK Distinguished Member

Actually, grocery people are paid minimum wage at least, which is about $7.50 in most states.

2. scarphe

scarphe Distinguished Member

well here they are not paid. but eh the picture that i sbeing paitned by the poster with ass cheek photo is that waiters in thus are basically int he smae condition the people that bag groceries here. they receive no wage and live on the tips. again i doubt that.

3. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Have not read the whole thread so I dont know if this has been brought up. I'm usually a good tipper, but really hate it when I am handed a bill to sign with a spot to add a tip in situations that really don't warrant it. I'm talking to-go orders and small restaurants where you order your food at the counter then pick it up to take to your own table when it's ready. What am I tipping here? They don't serve me at my table or take care of my drinks when they are empty. All they really do is take your order and hand you your food when it's ready. I see little to no reason why I would be expected to tip in these situations, yet I am often given my bill to sign with a spot for it.

4. landshark

landshark Distinguished Member

"I choose to work at a shitty job, and I'm complaining about my shitty job."

Seriously, get a job working at McDonalds, a grocery store, pizzeria, whatever. At least they get a minimum wage they can count on, and it's easy to move up in companies like those and make a little more. If you can't survive not knowing how much you'll make each night, then get another fucking job. It's really that simple. A waiter is a job for a young man or woman who is still dependent on their parents in college or high school.

In these situations, I strike out the tip line if I do not intend to tip. Some employees (I have worked with them in a similar environment) will add a dollar or two. When you see the bill or your balance you probably wont notice that you ended up paying $12.50 instead of $10.50

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

5. Quatsch

Quatsch Senior Member

What are you doubting? I'm here telling you thats the way it is. In case you didn't read it the first time I said it, I get paid two dollars ($) and fifteen cents per every hour I work. And I have to pay taxes out of this, so none of it goes in my pocket. Do I get insurance or any sort of other benefits? No. Free food? No.

I still come out okay because of the place I work at, which isn't fine-dining but is fairly expensive, but I still get screwed sometimes. Last night I worked 9 hours and made $54.

6. idfnl

idfnl Stylish Dinosaur

Correct, wait staff earns a bit more than $2 an hour. Grocery baggers are paid hourly.

Waiters are pretty much the only tipped job that you earn so little an hour. That is why the tips are so important.

Actually, yes, you generally get a more highly skilled waiter. In the restaurant world they called them waiters and servers. Servers work at $40 joints and take the order nd serve it, waiters work at more $$$. The difference is the waiter's skill is supposed to enhance the meal by, for example, suggesting wine or having a deep knowledge of food to comment on the menu.

In addition a good waiter is discreet, knows how and when to approach a table and is as invisible as possible but attentive to all needs. And has to do this x 5 tables at once. Its a skill and takes time to develop.

7. mr.orange

mr.orange Distinguished Member

put a big 0 on teh dotted line and write down your total on the line below. simple as that playa. otherwise, and I could be lying, they'll add 2 or 3 dollars to the tip line.

8. Quatsch

Quatsch Senior Member

Not saying it never happens, but thats a really good way to lose your job over $2 or $3.

9. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Distinguished Member

I worked as a waiter in a Chinese dine in restaurant in high school and then again in college. My base pay was $2.25 per hour before tax (yes they tax that shit). I never had any formal training, but I considered myself pretty good at doing the job. I always checked on the customers at least twice after bringing them their food and refilled their drinks whenever the buser was busy. The experience definitely opened up about the harsh reality faced by service industry members.

People complain about waiters/waitresses feeling entitled, you should have seen how entitled some of the patrons felt. Since my income depended on customers, I, sometimes, felt like a slave trying to earn that 4 or 5 dollars. People show no respect nor common courtesy to the waiting staff. Often those who demanded and requested the most end up tipping the least.

I definitely learned a lot working at those places and realized a common courtesy between two people can go a long way.

Like some of the above posters have said, stereotypes exist for a reason and they were so true 99% of the time when I worked as a waiter.

10. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Stylish Dinosaur

I like it when waitresses recommend me dishes like they know what's up. I mean, their palates are likely rubbish anyway but I find it endearing especially if the server is adorable looking.

11. Prada_Ferragamo

In my 4 years of restaurant experience, I have never seen this happen. That could a be potential lawsuit situation.

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

The thought would be that the server at the higher-end, nicer restaurant is a better server, more qualified with food and wine knowledge, experience, etc etc etc. But that rarely translates into actual reality.

13. idfnl

idfnl Stylish Dinosaur

I will encourage my kids to wait tables. It teaches you a tremedous amount about the nature of people and who you are.

It also changes the way you'll treat service people for the rest of your lives. When I worked as a waiter I had dozens of instances where people left and thanked me and said 'I know what this job is like, I worked as a waiter'

I hate to say it but yes, waiting tables does confirm most if not all stereptypes.

14. Prada_Ferragamo

I don't know squad about wine since Chinese restaurants that I worked had minimal selection of wine. But I did know all the dishes on the menu inside out which there were quite bit of them. I think it just really depends on where you worked and what they serve.

15. Prada_Ferragamo

Definitely an experience worth experiencing.

Totally agree with the second bolded part.