people who bitch about tipping are scum?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Teger, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Man, it's times like these I wish I lived in a different era -- back when you could grab and slap anything you felt like. Nowadays, you get written up for sexual harassment whatever that means.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I thought you were leaving.

3. Quatsch

Quatsch Senior member

Its a complicated issue, I'll admit, but for six out of the last nine months, I've been working as a server in an upscale restaurant between internships. Here's some food for thought.

Do you know what its like to go in to work knowing that you might have to work eight hours and walk home with $20? There have been nights in the last month where I made $7 and $11, often because of overstaffing on a slow night. I make $2.15 an hour. Its distressing to say the least. I choose to work here? Yes, maybe, but I get by here. Having two college degrees did not get me a job. You do what you can.

Ever have a bad day at work? Ever have a fight with your girlfriend and then go to work or have a death in the family? Are you always at your best? No, thats not human. Well imagine you mess up a little bit and your pay gets cut because the apps came out inexplicably fast - before you could get your table's drinks or because the refills started slowing down after that 5th glass of water. Or because someone didn't like the specialty cocktail they ordered and still had to pay for it. Or because the bar or kitchen is slammed and running slow and there is nothing you can do about it.

Many people show their worst side when dining out, even at nice places. A lot of people like to go out to places they can't afford and then undertip. They are rude and petty. Servers are treated very poorly by many guests. My name isn't "hey you." Its also harder doing this as a man - girls get tipped better just for being good-looking, regardless of the service. Unfortunately I don't have boobs to help me out.

I'll also say that stereotypes are startlingly accurate.

I try to give people a good dining experience. I don't try to pad people's checks or upsell unless its very worth it and I try to keep people out of pitfalls in the menu, and I try to be knowledgeable and engaging and friendly or polite and low-impact as I think that people want, but I am so seldom rewarded with anything more than the socially acceptable minimum that I find myself asking more and more what the point is. I generally hope for 20%. If you tip your waiter 20%, he's not taking all of that money home. I lose about 20-25% of my tips every night to tipping out the bar, server assistants, and the sushi chefs (technically not legal, but what am I going to do about it? refuse and get fired?).

I do end up making decent money at the end of the day, considering I don't have the bills that many of my compatriots do. Serving in the US is a hard row to hoe. The hours suck (we're open till midnight) and I often work 8 or 9 hours with no food or any kind of break, and will go 4 hours without even being able to take a piss. Show a little kindness and a modicum of respect (ie treat your server like a human being). If you can afford to pay $12 for a glass of wine or $14 for a bit of raw tuna with some fluff, you can afford to tip appropriately, even if that tip should be included in the cost of the food to begin with.

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Finally a waiter posts!

I feel for you man. Sounds like you need to find a different restaurant. After my first 2 years of earning shit I never worked in a place where I didnt at least expect to get 100$ clean a night in cash. The final couple of places I worked at were regularly $200 a night places. This was more than 15 years ago.

Maybe the culture has changed. I always did well. Most of my tips were 20%, many 15% and a few were shit.

If the culture has changed I would blame it on 3 seperate things: people eat out more, the economy and most likely my suggestion that the quality of service has deteriorated. Looks like others are doing what I do now: tip according to the service.

Sounds like you care about your job. Whatever job you have, do it with pride. I suggest you find a different restaurant.

Regarding tip outs, ha ha, I worked at a place that didnt pay the host staff or manager, they shared in the tips. Fuck that.

2 jobs in my life made me say no way and go for the office job. One was working for my dads construction company for 2 summers in 90 degree heat all day, the second was a waiter. Yep, you get treated like shit by customers and owners. Get out when you can.

5. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

in places where tips are expected i give the standard 10% percent if the quallity of service is good if not nothing. the only exception is for barmen that can make good drinks. but that has happened only 3 times. in places where tips are not expected, none are given.

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

At risk of labeling yourself a cheap ass, maybe folks should identify what country they are in when they post

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Sorry, I didnt connect it...

8. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

Do you live outside of the US? 10% is punishment level tipping for when a waiter was doing the minimum amount of necessary work.

9. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

yes but the few times i am in the us, i do 10 percent as well honeslty they spend about what 20 minutes at most on me or my group in an hour? and let say the bill comes to about 150- 200 usd. sorry i will not pay dollar or more a minute for his or her fucking labour. even in the us the wait staff has sense of entitlement.

10. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

I was kicking it with one of my amigas several weeks ago and we were having this conversation. She told me that generally she makes good tips (she's very pretty and has a nice rack) but, sometimes you do get cheap o's that order the special (or whatever's cheapest on the menu) and barely tip. It's an unfortunate part of the job she said but, on occasion, you get some big shot guy who tips anywhere from $40 to $50.

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Sorry man, but that is the wrong attitude.

Understand that wait staff are not paid a salary. What you are doing is unfair. What if you came to the US and were paid less to work here?

12. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

:lol: I know man it's lame. You can't stare at some cleavage without getting looked at like your some kind of monster.

13. ysc

ysc Senior member

That is brutal. I knew waiters in the US depended more heavily on their tips but I didn't realise it was because they got paid as little as that. I worked as a waiter/barman at a smart-ish pub in the countryside when I was 18 and made a little under £6 an hour and tips were on top of that (I didn't get tips at the bar, but all service staff split the tips). Working for that little must be seriously demoralising, even if you end up earning a more reasonable amount with tips.

14. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

so they work like the people that bag groceries than? they are not paid at all and only receive tips.
    somehow i doubt that.

15. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

I've always been wondering something, and this thread is as good as any to discuss this:
    How come the tip is relative to the total bill?
    Is a waiter who works at a 40$-per-meal restaurant half as good as the one working at a $80-per-meal restaurant?