1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

people who bitch about tipping are scum?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Teger, Jul 22, 2011.

1. lasbar

lasbar Stylish Dinosaur

Agree with that..

Tips in the US are seen as a duty not in Europe...

The waiter's wage is higher but you have to earn your tips..

2. idfnl

idfnl Stylish Dinosaur

+1, that is the correct approach. First time, a couple of bucks max.

The comment above about tip inflation is correct. Even pizza delivery guys feel entitled to some enormous tip. Whoa there, you gotta job where you can smoke weed in your car all night and drive around and maybe find a party you can go back to when you're off. $5 is plenty unless I make a large order.

Where are you located?

3. ezlau

ezlau Senior Member

I have a friend that is super stingy about tipping and leaves miserable coins even for decent service. I hate bringing him out to my regular place because his behavior reflects upon me. I have been lecturing him about it and he is now better at tipping, usually matching what I tip.

I agree with one of the posters that said "If you can't afford to pay decent tip, don't eat out." That's the only advice that I have always followed regarding tipping.

4. idfnl

idfnl Stylish Dinosaur

^ I got one. About a year ago I was traveling for work to the same destination over the course of 3 months on and off. I found a place I liked a lot and ate there most nights I was in town.

A colleague joined me at one point so I took him there. Ate like a fucking king. Ate so hard he had glistening lips, the mother fucker.

So check came, we asked for it split since we had to expense it separately. I left 20%. Happened to notice him leaving $5, a 5% tip. The motherfucker. It was over his per diem so he fucked the waitress.

I let the guy know clearly this was my go to spot, so he leaves a shit tip anyway? Next night the fat glutton asked where I wanted to eat, told him I was gonna stay in. Went back there. Asked for the same waitress, apologized in advance for the idiot I was with and compensated her the difference.

Not only does the dick embarrass me somewhere I am know, but we worked together. Some people.

5. ezlau

ezlau Senior Member

That's terrible. Since my friend is pretty close to me, I can't just never have dinner/lunch with him again, so I kinda told him it's very very wrong not to tip decently. If it were a casual friend like a colleague as in your case, that would the last time I would ever dine with him again. I have never worked in the service industry before, but I think 20% is good enough for a big ticket or a special occasion dinner. I never tip more than 20% though, seems unnecessary.

6. landshark

landshark Distinguished Member

I am located in Texas. Actually, you know exactly where I live :uhoh: I own at least 10 - 20 of your ties.

7. SeanathonHuff

SeanathonHuff Distinguished Member

the consensus among wait staff is that using currency to tip is better than credit cards, yes?

anyways, I usually tip 20% (granted I usually only pay $15 to eat at a restaurant in town). If the waitress is especially subtle and perceptive I'll tip 25% to endorse my own social values. If I'm going to a small diner and I order something $6.50 I'll leave $10.00.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I guess, maybe, since most places take taxes out of CC tips and put it on the paycheck, whereas cash tips are "under the table" but any waiter that isn't a dipshit will be happy to be making money, taxed or no.

9. acidboy

acidboy Stylish Dinosaur

aside from wait staff, I also give hefty tips to my barber, my bicycle mechanic and anyone else whose service I regularly get. I also make sure I tip the hotel maid everyday.

one other thing I do is when I'm in a banquet or social event, I tip the wait staff designated to my table. douchebag as it sounds, it guarantees some attention will go our way when we need it.

10. blahman

blahman Distinguished Member

I have to start by saying that I am from Australia where tipping is not the norm but I tip if I get good service from staff (as it should be in my opinion).

Waitstaff going through the motions and not actually trying to provide the service they should be giving but still expecting tips are just as bad as that whinging bitch the OP mentioned.
    I don't care how little their base wage is. They're there to work and if they do their work then they should get the tip. If they don't do their job, they deserve nothing.

Continuing on from above, I do agree a good experience is worth paying for, but do not expect me to pay for a shitty experience.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

11. idfnl

idfnl Stylish Dinosaur

The unfortunate thing about human nature is that it tend towards the lowest common denominator. Many in this thread are actually making service worse -not better, because they are tipping when its not warranted/deserved. Tipping works when its an actual reward. When you tip for nothing or to pretend you are generous you fail to understand the bigger picture. You are REWARDING the service -not impressing a date.

This is coming from a guy that used to be a waiter.

12. ysc

ysc Distinguished Member

People that quibble over restaurant bills or tips are the worst. Sure, if one guy has had lobster and champagne whilst the rest had salad I can understand fighting over it, but usually people argue over just a few pounds and it can go on for ages. I think we Brits are actually worse about this sort of thing than Americans, not the tipping thing (I know that is a stereotype in the states) but generally just quibbling over tiny amounts of money when it is time to pay.

The 20%+ Tipping culture in the States scares me. So does having to tip a dollar for a 3 dollar beer at the counter in some places to guarantee getting served for the rest of the night. That said, I agree with the sentiment if you can afford to eat out, you can afford to tip. Wherever you are.

I do die a bit inside when I am in the states and realise I am going to have to fork over 20% on top of the price on the bill.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

13. lasbar

lasbar Stylish Dinosaur

I remember my wife going out with friends and some people were lethal..

Instead of sharing the bill , if nobody has bought a bottle of Chateau-Laffitte of course , some of them were arguing they didn't drink beer or wine and so on...

It can bring the worse ibn people but you can also see them in a different light afterwards...

It is like going on a week-end with friends...

Teach you a lot.

14. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Stylish Dinosaur

Can we all agree that if the waitress has a nice butt, she deserves a little extra? Sheesh.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

15. lasbar

lasbar Stylish Dinosaur

I'm more a tits man...

Extra tip if she is flirting with me in front of my wife just to piss her off.