1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

people who bitch about tipping are scum?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Teger, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

I was just about to post that link. For some reason, I am not surprised at all that these particular people made the list.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I gave a rough estimate. Sorry chief I was not keeping track of the occasional free glass of wine...oh wait, that's you. :laugh:

You ever think the way I asked the original question was setting you up? Seems to have worked...

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

So I was out on Tuesday and we were at a bar. Ended up having a $140 tab (may have been $120, can't remember). And I feel kinda like a douche for how I tipped. I was in shock when I got the bill, showed it to my friends, refused to let them pay (I was buying their drinks. It was so expensive because *I* wanted to keep drinking, they were just bystanders...). Anywho, friend throws two twentie$ on the bar.

I figure I will use that for the tip. I for whatever reason was afraid the cash would get lost in the bill holder thingamabob so I call the bartender over and personally hand it to him.

C'est la vie.

Also: Idnfl--you really don't want to try and correct Kwilkinson on, well, anything related to restaurants or wine. FYI.

4. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

I might have a hard time leaving any tip since the service charge is already included. I like how you were billed so that you're paying a service charge on tax, too. What is the fair tip on tax, btw?

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

You feel like a douche for handing it to him or you feel like a douche for it being $40? Neither of those are douchey.
    $0.00

6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

it was a substantial tip and I feel like he may have thought I was trying to bring attention to it. Keep in mind, the cute waitress who was really incompetent also got tipped well by me. She also wanted to add me on FB so we could go to GSU football games and I only gave her my last name, and am still sans friend request. That was fun times.

7. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

This is such a bizzare thread. I've been wetting my bed lately because I forgot to reimburse a bartender that comped me $8 to buy a pack of smokes from the machine. I tipped him ok but was supposed to add the $8 on top of that but was too drunk to remember. Stopped by a few days later but he wasn't working until the following week. The bar is in my hood so I'll stop in sometime soon. No doubt it'll renew his faith in humanity that I still remembered after two weeks. :D

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I tip 20% on other people's money. It's a good, but not ridiculous tip.

I agree that it's bad form to overtip. You may as well snap your fingers at the waiter and call them "garcon." 20% is my standard. 25% at places where I know the owners, we've been comped something, and/or my kids have been overly rambunctious,

9. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I very often tip over 50% because I'm riding on the coattails of my wife when we dine and we usually receive a couple of comped drinks along with comped appetizers, so what I do is tip on what it would have been if all things were included in the bill. I think under those circumstances it's in bad form.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I'm such a fool

11. billsayers

billsayers Senior member

Some good tippers here. I always keep it to 15-19% tip whenever I go out.

I am fundamentally against the idea of tipping...I heard all of the arguments before, and yes, I would prefer my food / drinks be more expensive (better paid servers, etc...) rather than subsidizing a business by leaving a tip. It really is an American phenomenon and seems to go against the idea of a developed society.

P.S. I am also against price discrimination (yield management) and waiting in line to give a business my money.

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Except it's really not. Most western countries that don't have tips have service charges, which is the exact same thing except required instead of discretionary.

13. billsayers

billsayers Senior member

I have traveled pretty extensively (Western Europe) and do not recall seeing a specific service charge on my bills. There could very well be such a charge that is incorporated in the price of the meal but it is not specified to the customer.

Even if the fee is specified, I do not have any qualms about it as "service charge" and "tip" have two very different connotations.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  14. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

If they put it on automatically fuck em. If the service is great I'll tip, if its very bad I'll tip 1 or 2 pence.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Has tipping delivery people been tackled yet?

16. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...

I absolutely will not wait in a long line to buy something

17. Quatsch

Quatsch Senior member

As I approach my final 2 days of serving (forever, God willing), I noticed - it seems like good and bad tippers come in waves. These last two weeks, tips have been uniformly good. Even people who have been very rude tipped fairly, and a few people even tipped generously. I guess it does still happen.

However, on the topic of restaurants and service, I'd like to vent and point out that when a waiter asks you how you are doing this evening or whether you have dined at this particular establishment before, the answer to that question is not "I want ____" or "can you get me ____." Yes I'm here to get what you need, but people are often shockingly rude.

18. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Question I've always meant to ask a server: when a server asks, "How was everything?" does s/he *really* want to know? Even if something hasn't been perfect, I usually say that everything has been good just to be polite. I figure the exchange is pro forma more than anything. But maybe I'm wrong--maybe the server really does need to know if something's wrong to relay the message to the kitchen.

19. Quatsch

Quatsch Senior member

Absolutely. Seasoning off? Too salty? Texture wrong? Kitchen needs to know. Cooks come and go just like servers, and the new guys don't always nail everything on the first night. Sometimes people just don't like a particular dish that much, even if there's nothing wrong with it. Nothing I can do about that, but if there's something off, the do need to know.

20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I had an absoulte horror of a delivery experience last night. Probably about the time you posted this as well.