1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

people who bitch about tipping are scum?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Teger, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Quatsch

Quatsch Senior member

Some stoking for the flames:

Three nights ago I had a table I actually had to pay to serve. The guy's check wasn't that all that much, - around $40 - but it is still galling. How does that work, you ask? The bar/sushi tip-out for his meal was more than the tip he left. He and his friend got good service from me and we had some friendly chatter. Playing right into a certain restaurant-industry stereotype as well.

I took it in stride because after two more weeks, I hope to never work as a server again. Please, oh God.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. Zabel

Zabel Active Member

I don't pay double the amount of what sbucks charges me to help out some poor argie or ethiopia kids working16 hours on the coffee field. I don't pay 20% extra for Apple products to stop Foxconn employee from committing sucides. I do pay tips when the waiter deserves it, but don't expect me to pay for a fucking broken system. My wallet shouldn't be the one suffering for a broken system.

East Asia still sentence you a jail term for that. Some Muslim stone you for that. The only places who do NOT sue are those who gives you other option of sueing the hell out for some shitload of money.

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Goddamnit! How can you people still be so clueless about the economics of tipping after this entire thread. JFC.

4. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

The verbal tip. You gotta love it. These people are clueless.

5. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    Personally this is how I have come to view tipping:

The restaurant simply retains waiters for the $2ish per hour so they are available to serve the tables and I am expected to compensate the waiter for the service provided. Their payment will be based on how good the service was. Simple as that.

If you don't want to pay for the service received do not eat at places where you are expected to pay for service

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Is this some abstract art post? Where is the explanation of how you had to pay?

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

In an opposite way this reminds me of the scene in Pret A Porter where Marcello Mastriani doenst have any money to tip the bell boy and gives him that rolling wave with his hand as if to say thank you. That movie is beyond underrated.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

He had to tip out to the sushi chef based on the cost of the bill, not the tip he received from the guy. The tip he got was crap and needed to pay the cheft out of his own pocket.

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Aha. How you figured that out is astonishing to me.

10. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

How much did he tip on $40?

11. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

"The bar/sushi tip-out for his meal was more than the tip he left." What's confusing about that sentence?

12. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Senior member

I could have sworn I was talking about America....which you knew. But since you can't show me any American cases of that sort, you resort to purposely going off the subject. You lost, pal. Take your loss and go home.

13. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Senior member

That's how I know you're a loser. The fact that you'll try to assume the worse about my personal life just because you can't hold your own in a debate against me. What's even more ridiculous is the fact that you'd compare tipping in a restaurant to supporting my family. You're a sad individual and a sore loser, pal.

14. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

15. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

To the anti-tippers:

Do you eat out much and if so do you simply never tip? Have you experienced no social repurcussions about this? No blowback from fellow diner? No comments from staff? In other words, do you eat out, pay exactly what is on the check, walk out, do this routinely, and nothing negative has ever happened as a result?

Just curious.

16. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

My friend Gyges never tips. He just fiddles with his ring and walks out.

17. Another New Yorker

Another New Yorker Senior member

There's no point talking to this guy. Waitresses are going to mess with his food because he doesn't tip as much as he ought to (if at all), and that's that. The principle edinatlanta made stands. 2 social conventions that have existed for god knows how many centuries that aren't codified by law.

18. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

People aren't clueless. People just hate to admit that they are bad people.

What it all boils down to is that you are a cheap asshole. You can talk yourself blue in the face, and it will still come down to the same thing. There is no ethical question to be answered, despite your argument, which boils down to "yes there is."

19. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

"So if its not illegal to be a total asshole, I'll be one" is what his argument is. There is no ethical or moral question to answer, its clear he is neither.

He reminds me of this guy I knew in college. He was very good looking and he would find ugly chick after ugly chick to date so he could suck them dry for free dinners, gadgets, even veterinary care for his dog. They thought that finally a man had seen them for who they were, but in reality he was just looking for a free ride. This too is not illegal.

20. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Damn, so that's what I could be doing with my good looks?