people who bitch about tipping are scum?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Teger, Jul 22, 2011.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Which stereotype is that?

2. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Sig worthy, but I don't wanna change my current sig as I've had it forever.

I like the reaction I get when I give someone an unexpectedly large tip... it makes me happy to see their eyes light up!

3. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

This, consider it the price of the experience... If you're not prepared to pay for it, choose not to experience it.

4. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Haha. Merci.

I know what you mean though. If I find myself watching her walk away constantly after refilling my water glass, that's a sign of good service (and a nice butt).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

It is question of culture...

I tip when I receive a personalized service , by that I mean friendly and profesional service...

If the waiter can't care less , I do not tip at all or next to nothing...

I always tip nice waiters in the restaurant I go to in Mayfair...

6. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

I'll always tip, but it does obviously vary from 10%-30 or 40% dependant on the quality of service. I absolutely abhor the included gratuity. to me its like they impose that and hope that people will still add their own gratuity on top, out of habit/custom.

7. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Brothers are not known as the best tippers, outside the gogo club.

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

About 5 years ago, I would have told you I tip 20% no matter what. I rarely ever go above that, a 400$ dinner and 80$ is not enough? Fast forward, I've decided to abandon that because of the deteriorating quality of wait staff and their attitude of entitlement.

I never thought I'd become this way but after experiencing this lack of attention to service so many times I said fuck it, it goes both ways. Man, I used to bust my ass for good tips, now some of these fucks act like you are doing them a favor.

Not to suggest I believed this, but during my time as a waiter it was a common conception that the homeys didn't like to give whitey their money.

By far, the consistently worst tippers are women. They do it quietly, 13% here, 14% there. Never obvious. Never generous.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  9. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

lol this story just came to mind as idfnl said 'its as if youre doing them a favor'.

I was at a club in Toronto (tryst) and I bought a bunch of drinks. The total came to 80$ and I paid with a hundred dollar bill. I got my change and it was 18$. so I just walked away and the bartended said "wtf so youre not going to tip me?" and I was dumbfounded by her stupidity. You short me and expect a tip on top of that? I would have left a bigger tip than 2 dollars but it was the fact that she shorted me that pissed me off and made me not leave a tip (plus its a fucking bar. you are doing absolutely nothing for me other than pouring a drink. I'd rather it be self-serve anyway lol)

10. ezlau

ezlau Senior member

I usually tip 10-15% if the service is minimal and food was okay, and 20% when I had a great time. Question though, do you guys ever tip for takeouts where you pick it up yourself? Sometimes I just tip 15% for takeout to not make it awkward during the wait time.

11. worldrunner

worldrunner Senior member

+1

12. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

I never understood tipping for takeout or counter service.

13. blackjack

blackjack Senior member

After living and working in countries where one can expect generally great customer service without tipping (eg. Japan), it's always hard to re-acclimatize back to the situation in the US. Even small things like remembering to keep a stack of small bills - to tip hotel staff - can be a real pain in the ass.

And, maybe I'm getting old, but there seems to be some sort of 'tip inflation' going on. My basic formula would match ezlau and worldrunner - about 15% and 20% for great service. However, in some circles, it appears that tipping anything below 20% is considered stingy. WTF?

The concept of tipping for takeout or counter service also confuses me.

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I only do it for places that I'm a regular. Either I know the person and tip them because they're always nice to me, or I tip the person a couple bucks for carryout and then they remember me.

15. landshark

landshark Senior member

At a restaurant I start out planning 10%. If the waiter earns it, I'll tip him 20%. If they are busy but OK I'll leave them 10. If they are rude or ignore me enough, I will leave either nothing at all or just a few coins to express my dissatisfaction.