1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

people who bitch about tipping are scum?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Teger, Jul 22, 2011.

1. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    The longer this thread goes on the more I start agreeing with the title of this thread

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Very very rarely. Been cooking and serving for over a decade now, and have never personally witnessed that. My experience ranges from fast food, to shitty small-town greasetraps, to decent places in a city, to 2-star Michelin level.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

He won't win because it's impossible to win an argument with a moron.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Immoderator.

5. LA Guy

I should also say that I put down a C-note that I know more about SEO, internet marketing, branding, etc... than does he.

6. CouttsClient

Anytime someone uses any two of those internet branding/marketing/SEO terms in a sentence it generally spells out: "I have few if any professional skills but I really really really need a job. Please help." Standard Twitter/Facebook spam language

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I refuse to believe this until somebody puts it down in writing.

8. LA Guy

I just did. Kyle, you're like that slow kid in class who makes it impossible to get through the syllabus.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  9. LA Guy

It was on his website. And yes, you can follow him on Youtube, Facebook, and Twitter. Maybe his advice is to use a lot of hash marks on twitter.

10. CouttsClient

:D

I'm amused by this concept of the social media expert. Fascinated really. I have had to point out a number of times to these "professionals" that I have more Twitter followers than they do and I don't even follow anyone back :paranoia:

Good luck to them

11. LA Guy

There actually is a lot of technical knowledge about the Google algorithms, etc.. and usually, you need contacts in these companies to really get things right.

A lot of it is just bunk, of course, but you can find real experts who actually study social dynamics on the internet. For example, if I wanted to study Styleforum, I'd use modified graph theory, thematic content analysis, and probably narrative analysis, on the database. Problem is that all the available analytical tools would require expert users to properly use them and interpret the results.

12. CouttsClient

I'll be sure to contact a professional agency should I ever care to investigate such things. I don't do much analyzing of my twitter/facebook followings :D

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Feck off mate. I'm not an idiot.

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

This kind of stuff is really a black art. Google reveals nothing about their algorithms and they change them without notice. So once you get a bead on something it changes and you give back the gain.

I read the Page/Brin thesis about the search algorithm. Its an excellent read. They really make some interesting design decisions on the structure of the search engine that made is so remarkably better than anything else in the market when it first came out. It was palpable, I noticed it right away on my first search.

Wish they werent so secretive.

15. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

I had live-in maids a bit higher than that salary range when I lived in the Gulf. Thieving wenches all of them; the pilferage was unbelievable. They'd post laundry detergent back to India. A can of furniture polish would be "all used" in two days. One ran a lunchtime catering business cooking and serving my food to the security guards. This explains why refrigerators sold in the region have locks built into them.

When caught each rationalized her theft with this very same explanation: "But Sir, you come from a rich country."

16. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

-1. We're talking about a buffet. The staff are not "waiters" or even "servers" in the sense of taking orders and bringing your food. Yes, it's a shift, but it's shift with what I consider less responsibilities. I'm a decent tipper, but I'm not going to tip the same at a buffet as I would at a full-service restaurant. Sorry, and your analogy doesn't work. I would pay a baby sitter less than a nanny for the same amount of time if, for example, the baby sitter only has to watch the kid and provide prepared food straight from the fridge while the nanny is expected to cook and do some of the kids' laundry.

17. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

True story.

The food and sanitation inspectors in Riyahd shut down a shwarma shop after finding its sauce had too low a spunk content. "Consumer fraud," said one official adding, "Not tasty, not tasty at all."

18. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Fair enough...

You can't really argue with that point before kicking them out of your door.

19. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Senior member

Here's yet another guy who insults me, but yet, can't prove me wrong. If I'm so much of a moron, it should be easy to prove me wrong, shouldn't it? How come none of you who think I'm so stupid have been able to prove me wrong?

20. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Senior member

Show me someone whose doing jail-time for adultery. Don't bother because you can't. I also want you to show me where it says that I'm legally OBLIGATED to tip....not legally "expected" to tip. If me not tipping isn't punishable by law, then there's no law against not tipping. So miss me with that "legally expected" crap. It's either legally binding or it isn't, no in-between.