1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

people who bitch about tipping are scum?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Teger, Jul 22, 2011.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Why? I know that most places have some sort of rule that allows below minimum wage pay but requires owners to pay up if tips don't bring total compensation up to minimum...but that isn't what he is talking about.

If you just assume the the restaurant pays minimum wage (or at least budgets for it just in case), it means that they have a relatively small fixed cost for labor. They may even be able to reduce that cost by letting people go home on a slow night since if they know they won't be getting many tips, they might have other things that they value more than a minimum wage payday.

Waiters on the other hand have their compensation tied directly to how busy they are. If it is a busy night and they bust ass to keep a high standard of service going at a bunch of tables, they will get rewarded for their hard work. The owner doesn't have to worry about figuring out things like performance-based bonuses but they still get all of the benefits of staff that are motivated by direct incentives to work harder.

2. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

How much of a tip do you deserve for this quality post, Edina?

3. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

Wrong. Busy night + shitty customers = shitty tips.

4. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Senior member

This is a good one! Hahahahahaha
    The owners are the ones screwing them over by paying them below minimum wage, but they're not mad at the restaurant owners. Yet, they get mad at the customer (who has no obligation to pay them) if they decide not to tip. Yeah, the owners are pimps.

5. Gordon Gekko

Me being 17 matters? You fucking moron, I'm not 17 years old (I wish I was). You showed how dumb you are just by believing someone about my age who knows nothing whatsoever about me.
    As for my argument, you're replying out of emotion and completely abandoning logic. Show me where I have a written contractual agreement to pay the waiters a tip when I eat at their restaurant? It's completely optional...not required. For some reason, people like you want to say that my argument is wrong, but you have yet to prove that tipping is mandatory. So how am I wrong when you can't prove me wrong? If I'm so wrong, you should be able to prove it. Waiters expecting to be tipped doesn't mean that we're required to tip. There's a big difference, you dumb ass...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

You don't believe that there are requirements which are social conventions and not written contracts?

7. Gordon Gekko

LMAO @ some clown accusing me of being a troll just because he doesn't like what I'm saying and can't prove me wrong. That's how bitch-made people are these days. You're not allowed to speak the politically incorrect truth without being accused of trolling. They tell you how wrong you are, how stupid you are, etc., but for some reason, they can't prove you wrong. Let me make it easy for you bitches...just because you want me to be wrong, that doesn't make me wrong. Get your emotions out the discussion and look at the facts. Otherwise, you'll continue to act like emotional bitches whenever you can't disprove a statement you disagree with. Dishing out insults when you can't hold your own on a discussion doesn't make you right and the other person wrong.

8. Gordon Gekko

If it's not in writing, then it's not a requirement. Save that "social" bullshit for someone else. You're not supposed to cheat on your lover because of "social" and moral reasons, but you can't be prosecuted for it (outside of the military) for it because it's not written into law. Don't bother having this discussion with me, pal, because you won't win.

9. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

10. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

I experienced this once in college when writing about the role of African kingdoms in the Atlantic slave trade. Also your post says nothing.

also:

+1

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

:laugh: You are going to lead a very fruitful and happy life.

12. itsstillmatt

OK, you win. You are right. There are no social norms we live by. There is no social disapprobation with real consequences. Only laws. Fuck. I have met my match.

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Do you have any idea how bad you make yourself look here?

He didnt:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

14. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Ok, change of topic:

'Tampering' with customers' food.
    How often is this done, to what degree, and what's the split between wait and kitchen staff?

15. Nil

Nil Senior member

Gordan Gekko has no friends. No one could possibly enjoy spending time with him.

16. itsstillmatt

Fuck you. there is no law that says he needs friends, and don't come at me with the shit about companionship, fun etc. That's bullshit because they don't come with contracts.

17. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

This may have been covered, but what do you usually tip for a buffet?

I can't see laying down 20 percent for someone who just brings us drinks and clears the table.

18. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

Gordon Gekko makes me think that maybe NameBack was on to something with all the social engineering mandates.

19. Nil

Nil Senior member

[​IMG]

Sometimes true friendship can blossom from a contract.

20. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...

That picture makes me uncomfortable