1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

people who bitch about tipping are scum?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Teger, Jul 22, 2011.

1. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

in general yes but you are nit picking and basically ignoring the spirit of what i wrote.

2. tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer Senior member

I just hate when wait staff expect to be tipped for the shitty service they deliver. I hate having to pay 18% for a party of 5 even when I get shitty service. I also think it is unfair that high end restaurant waiters get a hell of a lot more at 15% than a cheap restaurant, I doubt they work harder. I feel for the lady that waits on people at Soup or Salad and gets $2 dollars for bringing drinks and cleaning up. I have witnessed her practically running to do a good job and I tip her more than 20%. I have a hard time giving less than 15% even at an expensive restaurant when I get shitty service, it makes me fell cheap even if they don't deserve it. I guess I should explain to the wait person that I am giving them a poor tip to reflect the poor service and shitty attitude they had. I would ask any waiters out there to think about it when they get stffed or why they got a bad tip, it just might be there own doing. :eh: Should we really be tipping based on a percentage of the total bill? Shouldn't we get the same level of service no matter what the cost of the meal?

3. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

Have any moderate rabbis endorsed what you wrote? I need to know in order to determine a proper response.

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Its all credit card transactions now, there is no way to hide. That notion died in the early 90's.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

MAID?

YOU OUCHO MIND?

My maid earns about 25$ an hour. Minimum wage my ass.

6. tullytra

tullytra Senior member

7. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

i know one extremist rabbi and mulla have, is that sufficient?

8. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

you pay your maid 25$ an hour? you are getting ripped off unless she provides other services as well.

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

No man. I dont need such services.

She is a pro, does excellent work and is trustworthy.

I am happy to pay $25 an hour considering she has a key to my house.

10. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

well your maid makes in a day more than mine do in a month.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

$25 is a lot. I pay $21.

12. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...

it isn't uncommon for a professional live-in housekeeper to earn $50k+ annually

13. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

jesus fucking christ....
    again i may be wrong but i doubt they do more work than mine who probably make about $3300* a year.

*averaging for fluxations in exchange rates

14. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

My housekeeper makes $100 a month for two visits. We don't see her work, but I am convinced she is done in two hours. We have a small place.

15. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...

I think you may be wrong but I haven't seen your property nor do I understand what your needs are

16. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    Hmm... I don't have a cleaner but in Brooklyn I can't imagine people pay more than $10 my wife wants to get a cleaner so then i'll know for sure..

17. blahman

blahman Senior member

I heard maids in the Philippines are dirt cheap and just about every household has at least one.

18. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

The going rate for a maid in Chile is about 8,000 CLP (under 20 bucks) for around 4 hours of work. My sis pays 10k (20 bucks). The maid cleans the whole place, does laundry and irons everything and cooks meals for them. When she facuums, she pays her 15k. She does a good job, but I'm not a fan of her cooking. Everything is really overdone. Pasta is a glob and veggies are mush. My sis doesn't seem to mind. I'll get a maid once I get settled. It'll be nice not to have to do my laundry or clean.

19. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Scarpe, please note that there is a difference between Canada/USA/UK/Europe and countries with lower costs of living. Paying someone $25 when they are trustworthy enough not to steal from you is worth it when minimum wage is 8 bucks/hr. If minimum wage is <$2? Maybe not.

Likewise, a construction grunt easily makes twice to 2.5x minimum wage after a few months. Of course, that could be an artifact of Vancouver's currently obscene real estate market. You clearly are out of touch with how North America works...

And lastly, its not an issue of "how much they know" or "how hard they work"; its an issue of "what is their job worth". I HATE tidying up. I think $100 a week would be a reasonable sum to not have to do much of the asinine cleaning - like washing windows/dusting/ etc. Likewise, if you're a contractor earning ~$1+K/day, paying out $25 in wages to attract decent workers makes sense.

As for servers? Estimate that 20% of your bill is going to making your night go smoothly, and is just how things work. I'm willing to spend 20% of what my meal is ticketed at to pay for good service.

20. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Senior member

What happens when a 'big timer' like Lil Wayne goes to a club and racks up a 50,000K bill? How does this work for the waitress?