• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

people who ***** about tipping are scum?

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Bartenders, yes, you are obliged to tip. Coffee pourer (or barrista pfff), no, its a gesture. I always pay with a card anyway at the Starbucks so how do I tip anyway?

If you ask me too many things that don't warrant tips are getting them.

so what are the things that shouldnt get tips?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

so what are the things that shouldnt get tips?

Wish I knew. Its convoluted as hell.

Tip a waiter, bartender, bell hop, shoe shine, valet, cab driver, limo driver, masseuse, food delivery guy...

There are others, cant think of everything. Problem is that workers angle towards tips in situations when they shouldnt. EVERYONE thinks they deserve a tip but they dont.

A general rule: if its a person who is living wage hourly or salary, a tip doesnt usually apply. There are exceptions.

Tips in other situations are for going the extra mile. If you tip because you want someone to like you you're a tool.

For example, I gave my mailman a 20 once because I order so much **** online and he has to get out of the car every time I get something to take it to my door. The guy was doing much more than normal so I felt it was appropriate. He accepted it for what it was. I wouldnt have tipped him for no reason.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever seen Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares ? I haven't been to a restuarant since, which is about a year now.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wish I knew. Its convoluted as hell.

Tip a waiter, bartender, bell hop, shoe shine, valet, cab driver, limo driver, masseuse, food delivery guy...

There are others, cant think of everything. Problem is that workers angle towards tips in situations when they shouldnt. EVERYONE thinks they deserve a tip but they dont.

A general rule: if its a person who is living wage hourly or salary, a tip doesnt usually apply. There are exceptions.

Tips in other situations are for going the extra mile. If you tip because you want someone to like you you're a tool.

For example, I gave my mailman a 20 once because I order so much **** online and he has to get out of the car every time I get something to take it to my door. The guy was doing much more than normal so I felt it was appropriate. He accepted it for what it was. I wouldnt have tipped him for no reason.

I wish I can even have the chance to tip the package delivery guys.
Those F***ers just drop a note in my mailbox about no one being home and drive off, when there are people at home.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone ever seen Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares ? I haven't been to a restuarant since, which is about a year now.

You haven't gone to a restaurant in almost a year? Because the producers of a 'reality' tv program found some of the worst restaurants in America and highlighted everything bad about them for ratings?

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You haven't gone to a restaurant in almost a year? Because the producers of a 'reality' tv program found some of the worst restaurants in America and highlighted everything bad about them for ratings?

Ratings or no ratings these horrors are happening in too many places to be safe.

Last edited:

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ratings or no ratings these horrors are happening in too many places to be safe.

You're spot on..

Ignorance is bliss especially when it is coming to the matter of restaurant hygiene..

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're spot on..

Ignorance is bliss especially when it is coming to the matter of restaurant hygiene..

Screw hygiene. The best tasting restaurants are the filthiest looking ones. Ever notice that the down right disgusting looking ones always seem packed?
Asian restaurants anyway :p

Last edited:

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Screw hygiene. The best tasting restaurants are the filthiest looking ones. Ever notice that the down right disgusting looking ones always seem packed?
Asian restaurants anyway :p

Dirtiest looking no problem...

In the kitchen? Could be a problem...

It's true..

In Paris ,the best Chinese restaurants were the shittiest looking ones but they were full of Chinese...

Always a good sign..

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

When people ***** about tipping they succumb to modern stupidities called "politically correctness" which is a form of self censorship used when people cannot justify the actions in law.

Tipping is the act of giving something away for whatever reason people give things away and I would hate to live in a world where giving something to somebody else needs to be explained or justified.

Do we really need a reason or an excuse to make other people happy?
No, man, you dont. The problem is entitlement. People here are complaining about feeling pressured and tipping people who dont deserve it.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got in from dinner. It was terrible and even though they removed a number of items from the bill I tipped the waiter 25% for the service on the original bill and now that I think about it the service wasn't all that great either :embar:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just got in from dinner. It was terrible and even though they removed a number of items from the bill I tipped the waiter 25% for the service on the original bill and now that I think about it the service wasn't all that great either :embar:

Sorry your experience wasn't better. My biggest fear is food poisoning. It happened to me once (Honest Eds Warehouse in Toronto) and when I phoned them the next day the manager had no sympathy at all and said I poisoned myself in my own kitchen...what a complete asshole. I told him to keep dishing out the crap and one day, when the right person blows that dinner out of his ass the restuarant will be sued. Then I hung up. 'Honest Ed' my eye,,,,,well he's dead now anyway.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The only time I ever paid for a prostitute was when I was 16 or 17. Her name was Sunny. Adorable and fresh faced. I never went through with the coitus as I felt a pang of guilt with the whole thing. I still paid her but a few minutes later, her pimp came to see me and beat me up. Apparently, I didn't pay enough.

Okay there Holden.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To those who've worked in the "biz" (lol), how often do waiters/waitresses hook up with one another?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads