people who bitch about tipping are scum?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Teger, Jul 22, 2011.

1. JustChris

JustChris Senior member

There are a lot of people that don't realize that wait staff is paid sub-minimum wage; one of the few professions where that is allowed by law. The theory behind the law is that wait staff gets tipped enough to cover the difference between their pay and minimum wage. Whether that happens in reality is up to diners/customers. Personally, I tip pretty well, since I've been a waiter trying to make rent on crap wages. I sympathize with the folks that have to put up with the dining public. It's a tough job, even if they don't seem to be doing it well.

And like the article says, if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out. Simple as that.

2. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I would have paid for her to make her look stupid in front of evebody...

I was queuing in a nice bistro in London and some tourists were arguing about the bill ..

I went to them and told them that I will pay the 3 quids if they leave me the tasble now...

They just paid and disappear..

3. rxcats

rxcats Senior member

Several years ago I was in the UK buying a cat (British Shorthair). I took a couple of the cat breeders out for dinner to show my appreciation for taking me around. When I paid the check, both of these ladies started snickering. They said the waitstaff just love to hear an American accent; it means a good tip!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  4. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

True...

My experience in the hotel trade wasn't that good with US clients regarding tips..

Swiss and South Americans were the best by far..

The Brits were brilliant when drunk.

They throw money around without thinking..

5. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

where's this? ;)

++++++

the kind of tipping you 'murkans have is unheard of here, what happens here is restaurants put in a "service charge" that ranges from 10 to 20 percent. but I'd be damned if owners really give this to the wait staff. the wait staff here, in general, receive minimum wage or higher though. as for me, I appreciate good service and I show my appreciation by giving tips that is above what is the usual here.

6. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

+1

7. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

8. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

9. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Athens mostly. :embar: They are very lenient over there with tipping. It might be because they get paid enough to not be bothered by tips. But I do understand the difficulty of waitressing over there. My sister (who grew up abroad) is adamant about tipping wherever she is but my parents are a little more lax. Cultures, bro.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I could write a book in this thread.

Worked as a waiter from age 18 to 25 all thru school. Some pretty $$$$ joints too. I haves stories.

If anyone says stereotypes are never correct, go wait tables.

And, someone mentioned above, I used to tip 20% no matter what, but nowadays there are too many 'go thru the motions' shit waitstaff to warrant it. I've actually started to tip according to the service which to be honest I am grading on a pretty sever curve: like if I get my drink before the appetizer arrives they win. I actually had a waitress go outside and smoke a cig while my food arrived and my wine glass was empty. She was out there for about 10 mins. I tipped her 0 and left a note.

Also, whats with this bullshit nowadays where you order a glass of wine and a 1/2 glass arrives? On 2 occasions I have asked the for other 1/2, then I started sending it back, then stopped, its either an overpriced bottle or just go with beer. Once at a tapas bar the bartender pulled that shit and I told him "hey, I ordered a full glass of wine, not 1/2", he said "thats the pour" I said gimme a beer then. People around me were snickering and agreeing with me but they get away with it because nobody speaks up. Send the shit back. They are ripping you off.

11. Logan

Logan Senior member

A friend of mine once had a note left "really good service and you were very nice but had too many tables" they left him no tip.

12. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

That article is pretty bad. The lead paragraph about the etymology of tip is completely false. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_(gratuity)#Etymology

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Owners do "give" it to the wait staff. In the form of a higher wage, like you said. That's what the service charge is there for--- for the restaurant to have the ability to pay its servers accordingly.

14. Nil

Nil Senior member

Agree with Teger. I refuse to associate with people who bitch about tipping. Lousy assholes the lot of them.

15. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Some people cannot grasp that a tip is just part of the cost of dinner. Stay home if you don't want to pay it. If your food eventually arrives in edible form, you need to leave at least 10%.

Personally I try not to tip less than 25%- fighting stereotypes and all that...