• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

people who ***** about tipping are scum?

JustChris

Reaction score
There are a lot of people that don't realize that wait staff is paid sub-minimum wage; one of the few professions where that is allowed by law. The theory behind the law is that wait staff gets tipped enough to cover the difference between their pay and minimum wage. Whether that happens in reality is up to diners/customers. Personally, I tip pretty well, since I've been a waiter trying to make rent on crap wages. I sympathize with the folks that have to put up with the dining public. It's a tough job, even if they don't seem to be doing it well.

And like the article says, if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out. Simple as that.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

what pisses me off the most is that we were there for someones birthday - why are you gonna ruin the lunch by bitching about service and tipping for 20 minutes? and it's not like this is an expensive restaurant, I think I paid $13 (with tip) for lunch.

I would have paid for her to make her look stupid in front of evebody...

I was queuing in a nice bistro in London and some tourists were arguing about the bill ..

I went to them and told them that I will pay the 3 quids if they leave me the tasble now...

They just paid and disappear..

rxcats

Reaction score
Several years ago I was in the UK buying a cat (British Shorthair). I took a couple of the cat breeders out for dinner to show my appreciation for taking me around. When I paid the check, both of these ladies started snickering. They said the waitstaff just love to hear an American accent; it means a good tip!

Last edited:

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Several years ago I was in the UK buying a cat (British Shorthair). I took a couple of the cat breeders out for dinner to show my appreciation for taking me around. When I paid the check, both of these ladies started snickering. They said the waitstaff hear just looove to hear an American accent; it means a good tip!

True...

My experience in the hotel trade wasn't that good with US clients regarding tips..

Swiss and South Americans were the best by far..

The Brits were brilliant when drunk.

They throw money around without thinking..

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I grew up in places where tipping wasn't the norm but since moving to N. America, I tip out of respect. I'll tip more if the waitress is worth looking at.

where's this? ;)

++++++

the kind of tipping you 'murkans have is unheard of here, what happens here is restaurants put in a "service charge" that ranges from 10 to 20 percent. but I'd be damned if owners really give this to the wait staff. the wait staff here, in general, receive minimum wage or higher though. as for me, I appreciate good service and I show my appreciation by giving tips that is above what is the usual here.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I would have paid for her to make her look stupid in front of evebody...

I was queuing in a nice bistro in London and some tourists were arguing about the bill ..

I went to them and told them that I will pay the 3 quids if they leave me the tasble now...

They just paid and disappear..

+1

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

where's this? ;)

++++++

the kind of tipping you 'murkans have is unheard of here, what happens here is restaurants put in a "service charge" that ranges from 10 to 20 percent. but I'd be damned if owners really give this to the wait staff. the wait staff here, in general, receive minimum wage or higher though. as for me, I appreciate good service and I show my appreciation by giving tips that is above what is the usual here.

Athens mostly. :embar: They are very lenient over there with tipping. It might be because they get paid enough to not be bothered by tips. But I do understand the difficulty of waitressing over there. My sister (who grew up abroad) is adamant about tipping wherever she is but my parents are a little more lax. Cultures, bro.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I could write a book in this thread.

Worked as a waiter from age 18 to 25 all thru school. Some pretty $$$$ joints too. I haves stories.

If anyone says stereotypes are never correct, go wait tables.

And, someone mentioned above, I used to tip 20% no matter what, but nowadays there are too many 'go thru the motions' **** waitstaff to warrant it. I've actually started to tip according to the service which to be honest I am grading on a pretty sever curve: like if I get my drink before the appetizer arrives they win. I actually had a waitress go outside and smoke a cig while my food arrived and my wine glass was empty. She was out there for about 10 mins. I tipped her 0 and left a note.

Also, whats with this bullshit nowadays where you order a glass of wine and a 1/2 glass arrives? On 2 occasions I have asked the for other 1/2, then I started sending it back, then stopped, its either an overpriced bottle or just go with beer. Once at a tapas bar the bartender pulled that **** and I told him "hey, I ordered a full glass of wine, not 1/2", he said "thats the pour" I said gimme a beer then. People around me were snickering and agreeing with me but they get away with it because nobody speaks up. Send the **** back. They are ripping you off.

Last edited:

Logan

Reaction score
A friend of mine once had a note left "really good service and you were very nice but had too many tables" they left him no tip.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How much of the mindset is based on the fact that it is the "norm" to tip nowadays? Do waiters/waitresses often feel like they can go through the motions(skate by with no real knowledge of drinks/food offered at establishment) and still expect tips?

Very good article about tipping

BTW, that girl sounds like a __________ (insert any derogatory comment here).

That article is pretty bad. The lead paragraph about the etymology of tip is completely false. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_(gratuity)#Etymology

Last edited:

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

where's this? ;)

++++++

Owners do "give" it to the wait staff. In the form of a higher wage, like you said. That's what the service charge is there for--- for the restaurant to have the ability to pay its servers accordingly.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with Teger. I refuse to associate with people who ***** about tipping. Lousy assholes the lot of them.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people cannot grasp that a tip is just part of the cost of dinner. Stay home if you don't want to pay it. If your food eventually arrives in edible form, you need to leave at least 10%.

Personally I try not to tip less than 25%- fighting stereotypes and all that...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads