• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

people who ***** about tipping are scum?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Let's all do it! :slayer:

We will tell all of our patrons tip if you want, but our servers probably make more money than you do!

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Ya, and we can serve Soviet era Russian cusine

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No no, you pay. I dont ever recall anyone ordering a huge bottle that didnt pay. I have served many $$ wines and nobody ever did that to me.

Most restaurants report income now at 15% of your SALES to the IRS, so basically you are being taxed on that bottle of wine. Basically, yes, if you showboat like that with $1000 and dont pay you're scum.

Somewhat OT, but I am not sure if I understood the bolded part clearly. Are you saying that restaurants only report 15% of what they earn to the tax authorities?

Last edited:

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I split checks whenever I eat with friends, though always down the middle. Cannot afford to do otherwise and am not going to seek out cheaper restaurants simply to avoid the dilemma.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Somewhat OT, but I am not sure if I understood the bolded part clearly. Are you saying that restaurants only report 15% of what they earn to the tax authorities?

I think he means they report 15% of revenue, not 100% of net income.

Last edited:

Ty_Webb

Reaction score

the same thing could be said for any service at restaurant whether the the supposed tip or service charge is 20 15 or 10%. if you order a dish that costs 60 euros and another idiot ordered a pasta dish that costs 20 you are paying triple for the same exact work.

True, but at most restaurants I've been to, the food bill is going to be broadly the same unless you go for something unusual like the Wagyu beef or truffles or lobster or some such. Wine on the other hand can range from $30 to several thousand. If you go to Per Se, you can get the Petrus 1989 magnum and spend about $30,000 on that or you can get the Chateau Soucherie for $75. Do you think that if the person buying the $75 bottle leaves a tip of $15, then they're more generous than the person buying the Petrus leaving a tip of $5,000? I just think it would make more sense to make the tip for wine something a little less price dependent and a little more actually service dependent.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What about if you are at Per Se and your food costs $300 and you get a bottle of Petrus for $1000 are you expected to tip 20% of $1300?

Yes, b/c that server will still have to tip the bar for that bottle - usually 5% of alcohol sales, so the server would owe $50 to the bar. Seems stupid, even if the server gets it themselves - I always have to tip the bartenders even when I'm making my own g-ddamn cocktails. Bar tips are taken out before I cashout.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
While I would tip the 20% on the Petrus, I think all of that is a problem between the server, bartender, and owner of the establishment, not the concern of the customer.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, b/c that server will still have to tip the bar for that bottle - usually 5% of alcohol sales, so the server would owe $50 to the bar. Seems stupid, even if the server gets it themselves - I always have to tip the bartenders even when I'm making my own g-ddamn cocktails. Bar tips are taken out before I cashout.

ok this where i see absurdity that keeps coming out people are getting paid to do basically nothing. the server has to bring the bottle open it and pay attention to make sure the glasses of the costumers are filled. he does soem work i am not it worth 20% but he actually does something
the barman does jackshit. he pulls the bottle off the shelf and gives it to the server and he gets a tip.

Last edited:

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I still greatly prefer a tipping jar then being handed a slip with a spot to add a tip for an establishment or situation that does not really warrant it. Take-out, coffee shop or dine in place you serve yourself. Tip jar is fine as it's not as in your face as handing me the slip and making me write a zero on it or put a line through it in front of the cashier.
You act as if they're actively putting in this line, it's part of the software that most places use

the 18-20% is the commonly accepted standard in the us. i was just illustrating a discrepancy in the percentage system based on the varying costs of the bill.

no, i don't expect anyone to overtip on a cheap order b/c i'm used to more expensive tables or higher tips.

but i do expect you to be less demanding and leave faster so the server can flip the table for more and (better) customers than you.
15-20% is a more accurate figure ime. 30% if I'm a regular

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is REALLY tacky, to Graphite's point, is separate checks. Thats bullshit. And AGAIN, its WOMEN that do it most. I always refused. Some people made a big stink out of it. So what. I knew I was getting shafted anyway so *******. I would say "I am happy to calculate everyone's portion equally but I do not keep track of what each person orders".

Perfect example of someone who doesn't deserve a tip.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about all you whining bitches stop allowing yourselves to be fucked ********** by restaurant owners? You know, like people in every other blue collar sector have in the past, take industrial action.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No, they report 15% of YOUR sales to the IRS on YOUR behalf. So every paystub, say 2 weeks, has a income on it that represents 15% of your total sales for those 2 weeks.

So say you sold 1000$ a shift and worked 10 shifts in 2 weeks, they'd report 15% of 10,000 or $1500 in income to the IRS.

In the old old days you earned cash and could report whatever but CCards have made that a thing of the past. In the 90's the IRS came down hard on this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads