1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

people who bitch about tipping are scum?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Teger, Jul 22, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Let's all do it! :slayer:

We will tell all of our patrons tip if you want, but our servers probably make more money than you do!

2. idfnl

idfnl Stylish Dinosaur

^ Ya, and we can serve Soviet era Russian cusine

3. patrickBOOTH

4. PipersSon

PipersSon Distinguished Member

Somewhat OT, but I am not sure if I understood the bolded part clearly. Are you saying that restaurants only report 15% of what they earn to the tax authorities?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

5. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I split checks whenever I eat with friends, though always down the middle. Cannot afford to do otherwise and am not going to seek out cheaper restaurants simply to avoid the dilemma.

6. patrickBOOTH

I think he means they report 15% of revenue, not 100% of net income.

7. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Senior Member

True, but at most restaurants I've been to, the food bill is going to be broadly the same unless you go for something unusual like the Wagyu beef or truffles or lobster or some such. Wine on the other hand can range from $30 to several thousand. If you go to Per Se, you can get the Petrus 1989 magnum and spend about $30,000 on that or you can get the Chateau Soucherie for $75. Do you think that if the person buying the $75 bottle leaves a tip of $15, then they're more generous than the person buying the Petrus leaving a tip of $5,000? I just think it would make more sense to make the tip for wine something a little less price dependent and a little more actually service dependent.

8. Biscotti

Biscotti Distinguished Member

Yes, b/c that server will still have to tip the bar for that bottle - usually 5% of alcohol sales, so the server would owe $50 to the bar. Seems stupid, even if the server gets it themselves - I always have to tip the bartenders even when I'm making my own g-ddamn cocktails. Bar tips are taken out before I cashout.

9. patrickBOOTH

While I would tip the 20% on the Petrus, I think all of that is a problem between the server, bartender, and owner of the establishment, not the concern of the customer.

10. scarphe

scarphe Distinguished Member

ok this where i see absurdity that keeps coming out people are getting paid to do basically nothing. the server has to bring the bottle open it and pay attention to make sure the glasses of the costumers are filled. he does soem work i am not it worth 20% but he actually does something
    the barman does jackshit. he pulls the bottle off the shelf and gives it to the server and he gets a tip.

11. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

You act as if they're actively putting in this line, it's part of the software that most places use

15-20% is a more accurate figure ime. 30% if I'm a regular

12. lasbar

lasbar Stylish Dinosaur

Then waiters were too scared to ask for tips...

No 40% for sure..

13. Fang66

Fang66 Stylish Dinosaur

Perfect example of someone who doesn't deserve a tip.

14. Fang66

Fang66 Stylish Dinosaur

How about all you whining bitches stop allowing yourselves to be fucked in the ass by restaurant owners? You know, like people in every other blue collar sector have in the past, take industrial action.

15. idfnl

idfnl Stylish Dinosaur

No, they report 15% of YOUR sales to the IRS on YOUR behalf. So every paystub, say 2 weeks, has a income on it that represents 15% of your total sales for those 2 weeks.

So say you sold 1000$ a shift and worked 10 shifts in 2 weeks, they'd report 15% of 10,000 or $1500 in income to the IRS.

In the old old days you earned cash and could report whatever but CCards have made that a thing of the past. In the 90's the IRS came down hard on this.