1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

people who bitch about tipping are scum?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Teger, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

In my group of friends, the exservers tend to be the best tippers regardless of sex, race, sexuality.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Senior member

I'm kind of with you on everything you've said on this thread (I recommend a movie called "Waiting" which basically covers most of this from the servers' perspective), but I do have one question. If I buy a bottle of wine for $100 and I tip 20%, then I tip $20. If I buy a bottle of wine for $1,000 and tip 20% then I tip $200. On the assumption that when you tip you're really paying your server for the service he has provided, what additional service did I get that warrants the additional $180? Aside from the fact that if I'm throwing down a thousand dollars on wine then I can afford the 200 dollar tip that is.

Put another way, if you're working a table and that table orders three bottles of wine for $100 each and your buddy is working a table which orders one bottle of wine for $400, wouldn't it bug you that you did more work than he did, but he got $80 and you got $60 despite both tables being equally "generous" with their tip? The thing is with food, if you go to a restaurant where the food costs you $150 a head, then chances are the service you're getting will be excellent - like three people busing your table, a server, a sommelier and a maitre d', while if you go to a restaurant that costs $30 a head for food, then you get one server, it makes sense that you tip significantly more at the more expensive one because of that better quality of service. I don't see the same thing being true of wine though.

That said, if it was me, I most likely would tip the 20% on the full cost of the meal, wine included.

3. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Nothing pisses me off more than someone who is a lousy tipper, especially the people who try to justify the shitty tip with some backwards ass logic.

Last week I had knee surgery so I am either in a wheelchair or on crutches, and this past weekend was my girlfriends birthday. Since, I was in a lot of pain we had to postpone our original plans until October so we went to a great local restaurant instead. When we approached the door of the restaurant the manager/bartender (who was off duty) and another waiter who eventually became our waiter ran outside to help us. Everyone was so freaking accommodating helping me with my crutches and pulling a chair across so I could put my foot up on it (out of sight of course). As our meal progressed the service was on point, the waiter was very knowledgeable about the food, and the kitchen made a custom dish for my girlfriend. The waiter put a candle in my girlfriends dessert and bought us an additional dessert that blew our minds. In my opinion that was excellent service that went above and beyond any expectations.

The check was $152 and I tipped $55.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  4. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

the same thing could be said for any service at restaurant whether the the supposed tip or service charge is 20 15 or 10%. if you order a dish that costs 60 euros and another idiot ordered a pasta dish that costs 20 you are paying triple for the same exact work.

5. graphite

graphite Senior member

high five johnny.

we do focus a lot on the negative aspects of both serving, dining, and shitty diners. this is uplifting to hear the other end of the spectrum.

you deserved top notch service and got it. the servers deserved a nice tip, and got it. everyone wins.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ok, next scenerio. I order a $30 meal, $1000 bottle of Petrus, the waiter was a dick. Do I tip 20% on the $1000 Petrus?

7. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

if he was dick why even give a tip on the meal?

8. patrickBOOTH

Ok, how about I get a $30 meal, which had a bug in it, but the server was fantastic and apologetic, but refused to give you free dessert, or the meal for free?

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I worked with waiters that obsessed with stuff like that. They were generally greedy and high strung. You accept what you get, if you get the $400 wine table you're lucky, the $100 wine you arent going to complain. If another waiter whines about that then they are probably a shity waiter anyway.

10. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

no free meal after finding a bug? what kind of restaurant are you giong to Pat? I'm not a moocher but something must be done about that.

here's a scenario;

you order your meal to go and when you get home it doesn't taste good (you know this because you've ordered the same dish before). is it acceptable to go back to the restaurant the next day and ask for refund?

11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Tipping is a broken system. Pay waiters at minimum or above minimum wage and only tip them when they give you UH-MAY-ZING service.

12. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

How much do I tip if my waiter is In Stitches?

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I cannot IMAGINE a waiter that would be a dick with $1000 into that check. Thay waiter would tongue your balls. Non starter.

I'd tip 20%... not his fault. He would have asked and been refused. I would call the manager over to complain. The waiter has no power in this suituation.

Write a bad review on some restaurant website.

14. patrickBOOTH

Ok, same situation as above, PLUS the waiter spills another table's bottle of Petrus on your bespoke suit, shirt and tie. You still don't get free meal, or dessert despite the bug, and ruined clothing. Do you still tip 20%?

15. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

You pay nothing. Stitch would be glad to provide his services for his frands

16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Anal could enter into this settlement

17. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

you give him tip that he should be paying for your cleanign services or replacing the damaged cltohes, you do this though with a knife at his neck.

18. patrickBOOTH

But would you tip 20% if some of the Petrus got into your mouth during the spill? Or only 18% in this case?

19. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    Has anyone ever opened a restaurant that paid waiters real salary and eschewed tipping?

20. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Yes. Every restaurant owner outside of N. America.