people who bitch about tipping are scum?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Teger, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

The Chinese restaurant that I first worked at had me showing up one hour early to peel snow peas and fill the sauces. My fingers would turn raw after 2 boxes of snow peas.

The intend of the thread is not to gather sympathy for people who have waited/waiting tables. But it should paint a picture for those who have never worked in the food service industry. Something appears easy is actually not that easy to do.

2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

PF is right. You guys can't comprehend the amount of hard work being put into refilling a glass of water. Don't even get me started on the exhaustion (both physically and mentally) that a lengthy smoke break has on a person. So, please. Tip your servers as generously as possible. Those two bucks go a long way. I'm telling you.

3. Prada_Ferragamo

Hey don't make me slap you.........................................

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Regarding pooling tips....

Its also a way to earn more consistently. Big swings of 40$ nights and $220 are great when its more the 220 side, but when you can consistently earn $130 day to day, its less risky.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Gotta admit you got a laugh out of me....

BUT... I KNOW every single current or former waiter in this thread has had the waiter dream where you are so busy you cant catch up. Its a hard job, I'm telling you. Filling a glass of water, fine, but man it takes a lot of mental energy to prioritize all those tables in your mind and move them seemlessly thru the dinner.

Once, at a place called Sequioa in DC, I was working outside, rained like hell. Sent almost everyone home, then it stopped, dried out and KABOOM the patio filled up like crazy. I had 40 tables, 40! ALL WERE FULL. That was some shit. I KILLED that night, though, 380$. And even had time to smoke a buzz with the barback by the dumpsters :)

6. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

You've never even had a real job.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  7. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I've never really needed one tbh.

8. SeanathonHuff

SeanathonHuff Senior member

so you're either a 1) Student that lives on scholarship kickbacks 2) Person that lives off others' wealth (not that there's anything wrong with that... unless of course you're belittling people who don't). Which is it?

Would it be possible to get a decent waiting gig with no prior experience and no real qualifications except intelligence and tactful demeanor?

9. Prada_Ferragamo

The answer is yes. However depending on the types of restaurant you want to work at, you may have to start at the bottom like a buser or food runner. That's how I started at my first gig, as a buser.

10. Prada_Ferragamo

I worked in a field before picking cotton when I used to live in China. The government used to sent junior high and high school kids out to pick cotton when there was a labor shortage. It was hot and labor intensive, but I was humiliated nor disrespected like the times when I used to work at the restaurants. People don't realize the enormous amount of bullshit the waiting staff has to take from rude, self-entitled, often snobby customers.

11. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I dislike people who are normally awful tippers. But I don't feel a need to tip overly generously (20%+) just because your job sucks. For "normal" service - courteous, attentive, quick, I tip about 15-20% depending on what rounds up my bill to a "neat" number ($18.00/$240.00/etc.). where the servers/bartenders/staff know me well and show me some extra attention I will tip better 20-30% depending on how much I've blown up my credit card.

12. gort

gort Senior member

That's where I went for my senior prom. :D

13. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Of course you don't, because you still live off your parents like a barnacle on a whale.

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I would suggest going right for a waiters job at a lower rung restaurant. Literally within months you can move to a better place once you learn your way

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Shittiest food I ever served. McD is better.