• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

people who ***** about tipping are scum?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Finally when you are not waiting tables, restaurants always have side jobs for you to do so you are never free besides the lunch or dinner time. Even during dinner time, when customers come in, you have to serve them.

If you have never worked in a restaurant, which I assume you haven't, you don't know how much **** waiters/waitresses take to make that buck. It doesn't function based on simple mathematical formulas. When you have bad customers, you still have to be nice to them because the last thing you want is a complaint to the manager and your job is in jeopardy.

Yup. I worked at once place that made you sit there between lunch and dinner in the rare event a person would show up to eat. All day in that monkey suit.

Its very easy to get fired. I could work anywhere so I didnt care. I let loose on customers on a few occasions and usually got away with it.

some places pool tips instead of allowing it go to individuals. this is probably the most communist system ever and almost always (in my observations) yielded the worst service to the customers and the least satisfaction among servers.

The 2 best places I ever worked at pooled tips. Its not a bad system. Why? Eliminates the hosts favoritism. Encourages staff to help eachother. Eliminates favoritism from bar and bussers since they get the same $ from everyone.

Yes, there were cons too.

BUT, these were pros, they didnt play games. At shittier places the pooling system is an epic failure. It only works when everyone pulls their weight.

The trick is to determine if this was being done for the advantage of the restaurant or the staff. If its for the staff it often works.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hate it when people assume that if the job doesn't require that much education, it's an easy job and shouldn't be paid that much. There are things in life you will never learn in school such as respect, courtesy, etc, etc. which the waiting staff must embody to make a living.

big +1

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Big boobs you definitely can't learn in school so +1 to P_F.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I did. I went back, spoke to the manager, told him what happened (in a very civilized way), and they took care of it. The next day, I checked my bank account. They refunded the money and gave me the meal I had fo' free. I didn't ask for it but, I thought it was an incredibly nice gesture.

Working as a fast food employee is not the same as working as a waiter. A fast food employee's paycheck isn't contingent on his service to the customer because he's paid minimum wage or more. Whereas a large part of a waiter's pay is based on how he treats his customers. And just because I'm suggesting you be more sympatheitic towards waiters, in no way suggests that fast food employees be paid more .

My point is this it seems the main poster here is clamimign that the job of a watier more dificult than that of a person workign at fast food place, having observed both i honeslty do not see. you main point that they have to deal with horribel customers to ensure their pay, but he way i see it they are ensurigna generally higher pay in general compared to the fast food worker, 20 or 15 an hour? that sound mroe thna doubel the wage min wage quoted by somebody here. and lets face it si minumm wage type of job.
and the fastfoof people i gurantee have to deal with customers that jsut as bad. their wage may nto be dependent upon it but i bet they they are told to put on fake smile as well and be polite when dealign with bad customers as well.
in shor the lat part fo this thread is alto people putting waiters on pedastal they have a hard job t blah blah, trying rantionalize an absurd wage more.
I have sympathy for th eprosn that works in the fields for less than 4 dollars a day, not some guy complaingin about how he did not make 100 a day.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Reading scarphe's posts is a pain. Do you have like 3 fingers in one hand that you always have typo?

there is simple solution to your prob and plenty of people use it, why do yuo not use it?

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My point is this it seems the main poster here is clamimign that the job of a watier more dificult than that of a person workign at fast food place, having observed both i honeslty do not see. you main point that they have to deal with horribel customers to ensure their pay, but he way i see it they are ensurigna generally higher pay in general compared to the fast food worker, 20 or 15 an hour? that sound mroe thna doubel the wage min wage quoted by somebody here. and lets face it si minumm wage type of job.
and the fastfoof people i gurantee have to deal with customers that jsut as bad. their wage may nto be dependent upon it but i bet they they are told to put on fake smile as well and be polite when dealign with bad customers as well.
in shor the lat part fo this thread is alto people putting waiters on pedastal they have a hard job t blah blah, trying rantionalize an absurd wage more.
I have sympathy for th eprosn that works in the fields for less than 4 dollars a day, not some guy complaingin about how he did not make 100 a day.

yeah they make more on average but not w/out working hard it for it. Dude trust me; I used to work fast food and I would deal with ****** customers but it only lasted for the brief moment it took for them to place their orders (i was a cashier). waiters have to deal with the customer from the moment they sit down to the moment they get up and leave. that could be anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, depending on where you go. now compare that to a fast food restaurant. the time difference is huge. anyway i forgot my origilnal point but it's in here somewhere.

Reading scarphe's posts is a pain. Do you have like 3 fingers in one hand that you always have typo?

lol i believe he may be using a smartphone. let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah they make more on average but not w/out working hard it for it. Dude trust me; I used to work fast food and I would deal with ****** customers but it only lasted for the brief moment it took for them to place their orders (i was a cashier). waiters have to deal with the customer from the moment they sit down to the moment they get up and leave. that could be anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, depending on where you go. now compare that to a fast food restaurant. the time difference is huge. anyway i forgot my origilnal point but it's in here somewhere.

i will take you word for it, but still they do not receive an milligram of of sympathy from me, the field worker will get some.

Valor

Reaction score
Is undertipping (below 15%) common?

I live in NYC and all of my friends tip 20% standard pretty much never more or less. I don't really see where the complaints are coming from. One meal with a group of 3-4 is like 30$ worth of tip which is more than some of you are saying you make a whole night...

ezlau

Reaction score
A question for any ex or current servers just came to mind. If my bill turns out to be say, $8.54, I usually like to tip with my card to make it a around number like $2.46. So I am just wondering if waiters prefer me to tip $2 or $2.46, because sometimes when I tip I see the waiter immediately take the amount out of the register (say, $2). So I don't know if I tip a weird amount like $2.46, do they actually take the extra 46 cents out of the register? Or.. do all the tips kinda sum up and you get a lump sum at the end of week/month?

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is undertipping (below 15%) common?

I live in NYC and all of my friends tip 20% standard pretty much never more or less. I don't really see where the complaints are coming from. One meal with a group of 3-4 is like 30$ worth of tip which is more than some of you are saying you make a whole night...

Only speaking from my past personal experience. Very common

graphite

Reaction score

Yup. I worked at once place that made you sit there between lunch and dinner in the rare event a person would show up to eat. All day in that monkey suit.

Its very easy to get fired. I could work anywhere so I didnt care. I let loose on customers on a few occasions and usually got away with it.

The 2 best places I ever worked at pooled tips. Its not a bad system. Why? Eliminates the hosts favoritism. Encourages staff to help eachother. Eliminates favoritism from bar and bussers since they get the same $ from everyone.

Yes, there were cons too.

BUT, these were pros, they didnt play games. At shittier places the pooling system is an epic failure. It only works when everyone pulls their weight.

The trick is to determine if this was being done for the advantage of the restaurant or the staff. If its for the staff it often works.

reasonable. i've never worked at a place that pooled tips, so i have no experience on that and will have to take your word for it.

i made my statements b/c multiple servers at my restaurant came from (the same) notorious establishment that had a system of pooled tips. they were also the worst workers (never helped anyone, never pitched in) and complained the entire time about their earnings, no matter if it was high or low.

it just seems like pooling tips is a system that could go very, very wrong, or very, very good. no in-betweens. i've dined at the notorious restaurants that pool tips, and getting service is near impossible for simple things that you would expect.

also, people need to take into account that hours spent on the floor serving tables does not account for an entire workday.

for example, at my restaurant, if you work a dinner shift, you actually show up 2 hours earlier and do side jobs, such as setting up serving stations, cleaning, preparing simple foods, folding napkins, shining silverware. during this time you are not serving any tables, and are, in fact, earning 2.65/hour. they will sometimes have side work for you to do after your shift, such as closing preparing stations, cleaning, restocking the bar, and refilling food items for the next day. if i were to guestimate an 8 hour workday, i would say 2-3 of those hours are spent doing side work, and only 5-6 of those are spent serving tables.

lastly? people need to recognize not every establishment is busy all the time. sure you could pull 150-200 in tips on a busy night, which is competitive. so friday, saturday, maybe sunday night, you've got a lot of expensive tables and some good turnover. but monday-thursday, not so much.

i mention these things b/c they are things i'd never taken into consideration until i'd started serving.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

reasonable. i've never worked at a place that pooled tips, so i have no experience on that and will have to take your word for it.

i made my statements b/c multiple servers at my restaurant came from (the same) notorious establishment that had a system of pooled tips. they were also the worst workers (never helped anyone, never pitched in) and complained the entire time about their earnings, no matter if it was high or low.

it just seems like pooling tips is a system that could go very, very wrong, or very, very good. no in-betweens. i've dined at the notorious restaurants that pool tips, and getting service is near impossible for simple things that you would expect.

also, people need to take into account that hours spent on the floor serving tables does not account for an entire workday.

for example, at my restaurant, if you work a dinner shift, you actually show up 2 hours earlier and do side jobs, such as setting up serving stations, cleaning, preparing simple foods, folding napkins, shining silverware. during this time you are not serving any tables, and are, in fact, earning 2.65/hour. they will sometimes have side work for you to do after your shift, such as closing preparing stations, cleaning, restocking the bar, and refilling food items for the next day. if i were to guestimate an 8 hour workday, i would say 2-3 of those hours are spent doing side work, and only 5-6 of those are spent serving tables.

lastly? people need to recognize not every establishment is busy all the time. sure you could pull 150-200 in tips on a busy night, which is competitive. so friday, saturday, maybe sunday night, you've got a lot of expensive tables and some good turnover. but monday-thursday, not so much.

i mention these things b/c they are things i'd never taken into consideration until i'd started serving.

this is madness.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ok why do you actually agree to this? it seems foolish to do so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads