• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

People who are discriminate

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Hey,

I don't know if you know a friend or a person who says that he/she would not be associated with somebody who is not considered to be in the same social class with them. Basically, it means that they do not like to be surrounded or talk with people who do not come from the same background as they are. Some would go even further and say that they do not like to hang out with somebody who appear to be less intelligent than them simply because they do not think that these people can make them to be smarter, but to let them down.
Do you think that it is true? I mean anybody has a right to choose whoever they want to be friend with, right? If so, why can one person choose to be with somebody who are smarter and not otherwise?

Please be open!

freeAgent

Reaction score
I understand not wanting to hang around with people significantly less intelligent than yourself if given the option, because it's boring. As far as "class" goes, I can understand it to an extent. You don't want to attract people who will try to use you for money or who can't engage in the same lifestyle that you would like to lead. That said, I think these concerns are usually overblown and a cover for simple snobbery. You're better off not hanging around that type of person, anyway.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
I would like to be able to engage in meaningful conversation with my friends, but I wouldn't dismiss getting to know someone because I perceive them to be "less intelligent", for lack of a better term. Different walks of life have different things to teach. YMMV.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Reaction score
This board is the closest I come to fraternizing with the common rabble.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun
I would like to be able to engage in meaningful conversation with my friends, but I wouldn't dismiss getting to know someone because I perceive them to be "less intelligent", for lack of a better term. Different walks of life have different things to teach. YMMV.

Intelligent people still find ways to show that they're intelligent people, no matter what walk of life. You're making an argument against discriminating based on class while using the term intelligence. The terms are not synonymous. There are some very intelligent people who work in lower class jobs. And there are some dumb people working in high class jobs (must... resist... investment banking... joke!).

And I would agree with freeAgent. I would very much prefer to hang out with intelligent people, as long as there's some overlap in interests.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 16 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 81 16.9%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 158 32.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 79 16.5%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 41 8.5%