• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People that don't open their vents?

matsui

Reaction score
I've been noticing recently a lot of men where I live (not exactly a bastion of style, but still an area with enough affluence they should know better) not undoing the 'x' thread on their jackets to open up their vents. So my question is, should this be viewed on the same level as notifying someone their fly is open, in that you're doing them a service by letting them know of their faux pax, or do you just say "Hey, to each his own" and let them do what their want with their own clothing? I find it hard to believe someone would choose to leave them that way if they know they're supposed to be undone, but at the same time some might not take having their mistake pointed out to them well.

Keep in mind, I'm not talking about stopping a stranger on the street. More like if you're at a party or at work and it's someone you've at least met before.

Arsenal

Reaction score
Praise in public, coach in private.

Nothing wrong with telling them, just be sure not to embarrass the person.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw a dude on the subway just yest who had the vents still stiched and he looked like a fool. It is on the same level as leaving the tag on the sleeve of a coat/jacket. Would I say anything? No. If I knew the person, hells yeah!!!

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd only say something if I at least vaguely know the person, like you mentioned at a casual meet up, or office/work environment AND if I am wearing a jacket as well with vents. I'd simply point to my vents and then tell him to check his out and casually tell him just to remove the thread.

Then I'd laugh with him.
teacha.gif

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell them!

Although, my gf prefers to keep her jacket vents closed. I tried telling her it's wrong, but she just looked at me like I was crazy, so I let it go. To each his (or her) own.

matsui

Reaction score
That's about what I figured. It just seems like such an odd thing to do, bringing up style corrections to another guy.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's a stranger forget about it. If it's someone you know let them know in private.

If they prefer a unvented jacket, a tailor can properly close a vent

Uncle Ernie

Reaction score
I was faced with a similar dilemma yesterday during a work function that required a suit, one of the few each year, mind you. A young fellow there left the tag attached to the sleeve of his jacket... I opted for silence. It was also boxy, dirty loafers galore.

matsui

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
I was faced with a similar dilemma yesterday during a work function that required a suit, one of the few each year, mind you. A young fellow there left the tag attached to the sleeve of his jacket... I opted for silence. It was also boxy, dirty loafers galore.

Yeah, but that's totally understandable. After all, how else would everybody know what brand suit he was wearing?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see this too often and secretly want to wield a seam ripper and relieve them of this sartorial faux pas!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads