1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

People on Yelp: Why do you all suck?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Jul 15, 2009.

1. alexg

alexg Senior member

[​IMG]

Looking up the address of Shake Shack on Long Island, found this. One of the dumber reviews I've ever read, and I've read some pretty terrible reviews.

2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

San Francisco seemed to LOVE yelp. Restaurants had their star count on windows, etc.

NYC doesn't seem to give a shit. Rightfully so.

3. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

This person doesn't know ANYTHING about burgers [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  4. otc

otc Senior member

lol @ I prefer my burgers dry

5. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

^ probably grew up thinking mcdonald's deyhdrated cardboard burgers are perfection.

6. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

Click for source
    [​IMG]

Didn't even eat at the restaurant > Leaves one star Yelp review

Makes sense

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  7. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

The good reviews are often worse than the bad ones.

"I gave this place 5 stars because it's right around the corner from my house!"

I love yelp.

2 people like this.
  8. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

What's Yelp? Some internet search thing that doesn't really work properly?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  9. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I shake my head at many Yelp reviews like the rest of you. Yet, Yelp seems to be getting better. I find it to be a fairly reliable. Maybe I am just better at completely ignoring the self serving or rant posts and zeroing in on the more informational ones.

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i use yelp a lot. if i'm driving around southern california, lost in a new neighborhood and it's lunch time. yelp is the first thing i turn to. the address/mapping/phones are almost always right. they usually have the hours right. and you can get an idea of what the food is like by looking at the pictures. plus, there is a small corps of yelp users who actually know the multitude of ethnic cuisines we have here. learn who those are and you'll do ok.
    the idea of using yelp before going to a big-deal dinner gives me the shivers.
    it's like starbucks -- good enough when you're desperate. and now so ubiquitous that people forget what things were like before it existed.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  13. otc

otc Senior member

yeah, that ^

I hate yelp reviewers....but yelp is a pretty damn good site. I can find out when the place is open, if its going to have a wait on friday night, and if it is BYOB.

I don't know how to get over the reviewers...If you read them, you can eventually figure out who makes sense and who is reviewing the stale 3pm coffee at a cash only deli in a seedy neighborhood with great sandwiches.

14. otc

otc Senior member

re: Alinea

1 person likes this.
  15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Probably the same guy that got upset when the soup du jour was not the same two visits in a row.

3 people like this.
  16. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

and things like this . . .

" . . .Because the food was good when we got our food to go, we decided to have dinner here. We ordered the oysters on half shell, kimchi pork belly, and short ribs. The oysters were oysters, you can't really go wrong with them. The pork belly was really fatty and oddly sweet. We couldn't eat very much of it and the short ribs were fatty too. We didn't pair our food very well and ended up feeling kind of sick because of all the fat. . . ."

Like WTF, you ordered pork belly and short ribs. You are surprised that your food was fatty? At this point everything you write in your review comes into question because you are insane.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    7 people like this.
  17. jet

jet Senior member

18. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

20. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i don't know. yelp is an easy target because a) we're all SO much more sophisticated than the general public and b) the demo of yelp users tends to be weighted heavily toward people who are going out to eat for the first time. But yelp is really no different than reading the fit critiques on SF. everybody has a voice, and many of them are idiots. it's up to you to sort them out and choose whom you want to believe.

1 person likes this.