1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

People on Yelp: Why do you all suck?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Jul 15, 2009.

1. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

I have no really issues with yelp aside from those complaing about Elitism or Portion sizes.

Gah! This is a HUGE thing in Seattle Yelp reviews. We have the granola (not to mention hipster)crowd who expects every high end restaurant to be disguised as some hole in the wall with a chalkboard menu. Anything too cosmopolitan or ambitious will always be cursed with a 3-star average and scathing reviews from the local independent newspaper within days of opening.

Ex.: "There were very few vegan options, the decor was a bit much for such frugal economic times and there were people eating there, get this, in SUITS! And the waitresses were conventionally attractive! It made me feel so unwelcome in my fleece jacket ensemble. How LAME! Two stars!"

2. privateer

privateer Well-Known Member

I wish there was a way to find a review "helpful" or "unhelpful" like on amazon. There are a lot of reviews that are neither cool, nor helpful

3. Nil

Nil Senior member

I disregard any review that comments critically on portion size. A sure sign of a cheap fat person with poor taste buds.

4. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    Oh the Yelp ELITE

http://sf.eater.com/archives/2008/03...now_demand.php

5. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

hahaha that just made my week.

6. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Omg, Elite Yelpers. Pathetic.

Are there any elite SFers?

7. celery

celery Senior member

I knew Yelp existed, I had no idea anyone used it let alone that it was a big deal.

8. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

this actual 1 star review (all others are 5/4 stars) of my place from a coked out female diner who threw a hissy fit because she didn't get the table she wanted (we were filled up and she didn't want to wait for her "special" table anymore, even though the table we reserved for her was ready when she arrived.)

Wilmington, DE
    10/11/2009 I had to create a Yelp account just so that I can leave a review of my experience at Domaine Hudson.
    We had to wait for 30 minutes for our table even though we had a reservation. We were placed on the "waiting couch" next to a bit of a roudy group of people. No problem, people are having fun. A staff member stopped over to say that they group was too loud (hmm.. large party of customers too loud for ya, Mr. Hudson?). I thought it was unprofessional to comment about customers to people awaiting their table. Unprofessional.

When we were finally seated, the table was underneat a vent which was blowing cold air. When we asked if they could seat us elsewhere, we were told that no other tables were available. They did accomodate by turning off the A/C for a while but mid-way through my meal the A/C turned on again. I had to ask the waitress to see if they can permanently turn it off so it doesn't blow food off my plate. Of course, Waiter #11 had an attitude. She kept walking back and forth to Meg Hudson and relaying my requests to her. Please note, all of this is happening right infront of my eyes. I have an appreciation for having to accomodate "high maintenance" clients, but for Pete's sake, don't stand in the middle of the dining room, discuss the client and throw looks in their direction. Seriously. Have you heard about being professional?
    Needless to say, my dining experiene was ruined. I have gone to DH many times before and this was, by far, the worst experience at the restaurant and at any restaurant I dined in the past few years. I think the chef does magic, as always. However, if you are in for an experience, don't go to Domaine Hudson. It's a hit or miss with them. Unless you can close your eyes on the unprofessional staff and focus on food only.

P.S. Don't take your date there, they allow people with sneakers and
    flip flops

9. OakCliff

OakCliff Well-Known Member

Yelp: a bunch of noise with a few nuggets of wisdom offset by nuggets of false negatives to throw you off base. Yelp is useless to figure out whether a place you've never been is any good.

Chowhound: the closest thing to SF for food that I've found, at least in the few cities I've used it. It isn't as comprehensive as I'd like, but the threads are typically written by foodies and you can use the recommendations to make an informed judgement. At the end of the day, it's just a meal, so if it sucks, you don't have to go back.

Off Topic: Blue Bottle in San Francisco (mentioned earlier in this thread) has great coffee and food. Try it if you are in SFO.

10. jet

jet Senior member

P.S. Don't take your date there, they allow people with sneakers and
    flip flops

Sounds like my kind of place.

11. CouttsClient

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hometown-buf...V3K09w8WxpUBZg
    "I haven't been here for about a year, but used to frequent this place a lot with my nieces. They loved the Hometown Buffet "Bee" - LOL! I like to go here for the American staples - meatloaf, mashed potatoes, fried chicken, baked beans, did I mention mashed potatoes?!? Anyway, they do a good job with those things and have a variety of veggies, salads and some ethnic foods which I stay away from. I like the dessert bar with ice cream machine. Bummer that they are charging extra for drinks now... Overall, a good buffet if what you are looking for is comfort food and lots of it!"

[​IMG]

12. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

What in God's name is Labelking looking at reviews for Hometown Buffet for????

13. CouttsClient

What in God's name is Labelking looking at reviews for Hometown Buffet for????
    Probably just looking for laughs [​IMG]

14. Avocat

Avocat Senior member

People on Yelp are sometimes so funny it's sad. ... Responders: either continue with the pile-on of shitty yelpers or post your own shitty reviews for us to make fun of you.
    OK, I'll bite. Here are two reviews, posted by Yelpers, about a resto in Toronto. I am fond of this particular restaurant (wonderful cocktails), which has won numerous awards. Basically, it's casual refinement, and known for its Canadian cuisine (such as screech-marinated foie gras and wild game tourtière). Review No. 1 (2* review) "The view is crazy, being on the top floor of some billion-storey office building. Service is pretentious. I felt "less than" going in here and I hate that feeling! I like to think I'm pretty awesome, and the last thing I want is some place I'm a patron at to make me feel inadequate. Cocktails look yummy though I haven't tried them. Food is quite good. Presentation is lovely. Wine is good. The view is amazing! Overall experience, if you're stuck up and like to think you're on top of the world, go here wearing your designer suit and tie for your business lunch and look at us little people below (who appear as insignificant specs) from the ____ floor of this finance building. Don't get me wrong, the food is quite good, but this place is so esteemed most likely because it's so fancy and pretentious and people speak highly of it only so that they can feel like they're included among the elite crowd of its pretentious lunch-goers. Plus, there are other restaurants that are less pretentious ..., so it's not the food that'll make me come back, but the service and overall stuffy atmosphere is keeping me away. Pretentious, shallow service. Like honestly, it's just lunch, no need to act all holier than thou. Yawn. Overrated. I don't think I'd ever come back here. Don't get me wrong, the food was quite good, I'd just rather go some place where I felt more welcome. I much prefer going to (an American style bistro, whose offerings are steaks and chops)." Review No. 2 (5* review) "Normally when they tell you its a restaurant "with a view" from a high floor of a building that is code for saying the restaurant only exists because of the view. This is NOT the case with____. Not only is ____a beautiful space with a fantastic bar scene on a high floor but more importantly the food is fantastic. My wife and I went there because of the ratings and being lovers of fine dining were hoping for the best and____ really delivered. _____ uses phenomenal meats and produce, if you can get the caribou get it. The cheeses the desserts and the wine pairings they suggest make it great but also approachable. The wait staff that we had were so helpful and our questions and interest in the food was appreciated by the chef who came out to talk to us. We loved _____ and will be back when we have a chance to return to Toronto." Analysis: OK, so, basically, reviewer No. 2 met the chef and had great service, whereas reviewer No. 1 called the whole thing pretentious and not worth the price (although s/he admits never trying the cocktails, nor does s/he mention anything s/he ordered). Reviewer No. 1 says, however, that lunch was good (without saying what it was, but we know Reviewer No. 2 enjoyed the game, along with some wine, cheese and dessert as recommended by the house). That said, reviewer No. 1 hates the place, despite enjoying the food (whatever that was). So what is his/her complaint about? In the heart of Toronto's business district, being the financial heart Canada (a G-8 nation), s/he complains-on and on, and then on some more-about people in the resto wearing ... a suit and a tie? In fact, whole crux of Reviewer No. 1's "review" seems to be about business people and how they're dressed, and how s/he wasn't (thus felt out of place in the lunch time crowd). OK, then ... Seems the only thing this person enjoyed was the view, in which case I might suggest to this person the CN Tower [world's tallest "structure" (no longer the tallest building, I know, but there is a touristy resto up there, serving sandwiches, grilled chicken and chops, I imagine ...) ] Hey, great idea for a thread, and that I admit was fun ...

15. SField

SField Senior member

OK, I'll bite. Here are two reviews, posted by Yelpers, about a resto in Toronto. I am fond of this particular restaurant (wonderful cocktails), which has won numerous awards. Basically, it's casual refinement, and known for its Canadian cuisine (such as screech-marinated foie gras and wild game tourtière).

Review No. 1 (2* review)
    "The view is crazy, being on the top floor of some billion-storey office building. Service is pretentious. I felt "less than" going in here and I hate that feeling! I like to think I'm pretty awesome, and the last thing I want is some place I'm a patron at to make me feel inadequate. Cocktails look yummy though I haven't tried them. Food is quite good. Presentation is lovely. Wine is good. The view is amazing!

Overall experience, if you're stuck up and like to think you're on top of the world, go here wearing your designer suit and tie for your business lunch and look at us little people below (who appear as insignificant specs) from the ____ floor of this finance building.

Don't get me wrong, the food is quite good, but this place is so esteemed most likely because it's so fancy and pretentious and people speak highly of it only so that they can feel like they're included among the elite crowd of its pretentious lunch-goers. Plus, there are other restaurants that are less pretentious ..., so it's not the food that'll make me come back, but the service and overall stuffy atmosphere is keeping me away.

Pretentious, shallow service. Like honestly, it's just lunch, no need to act all holier than thou. Yawn. Overrated. I don't think I'd ever come back here. Don't get me wrong, the food was quite good, I'd just rather go some place where I felt more welcome. I much prefer going to (an American style bistro, whose offerings are steaks and chops)."[/color]

Review No. 2 (5* review)

"Normally when they tell you its a restaurant "with a view" from a high floor of a building that is code for saying the restaurant only exists because of the view. This is NOT the case with____.

Not only is ____a beautiful space with a fantastic bar scene on a high floor but more importantly the food is fantastic. My wife and I went there because of the ratings and being lovers of fine dining were hoping for the best and____ really delivered.

_____ uses phenomenal meats and produce, if you can get the caribou get it. The cheeses the desserts and the wine pairings they suggest make it great but also approachable. The wait staff that we had were so helpful and our questions and interest in the food was appreciated by the chef who came out to talk to us.

We loved _____ and will be back when we have a chance to return to Toronto."

Analysis:
    OK, so, basically, reviewer No. 2 met the chef and had great service, whereas reviewer No. 1 called the whole thing pretentious and not worth the price (although s/he admits never actually trying the cocktails, nor mentioning anything s/he ordered). Reviewer No. 1 says, however, that lunch was good (without saying what it was, but we know Reviewer No. 2 enjoyed the game, along with some wine, cheese and dessert as recommended by the house). That said, Reviewer No. 1 hates the place, despite enjoying the food (whatever that was). So what is his/her complaint about? In the heart of Toronto's financial district, the heart of Canada (a G-8 nation), s/he complains-on and on, and then on some more-about people in the resto wearing ... a suit and a tie? In fact, whole crux of Reviewer No. 1's "review" seems to be about business people and how they're dressed at lunch time. OK, then ...

Seems the only thing this person enjoyed was the view, in which case I might suggest to this person the CN Tower ... (world's tallest "structure", no longer the tallest building, I know ... ).

Hey, great idea for a thread, and that I admit was fun ...

Is this Canoe?

16. Avocat

Avocat Senior member

Is this Canoe?

Yes it is; you win the prize, Sir. Next cocktail is on me [​IMG]

17. SField

SField Senior member

Yes it is; you win the prize, Sir. Next cocktail is on me [​IMG]

I had good food there.

I want to go back and try a lot more game.

18. CouttsClient

OK, I'll bite. Here are two reviews, posted by Yelpers, about a resto in Toronto. I am fond of this particular restaurant (wonderful cocktails), which has won numerous awards. Basically, it's casual refinement, and known for its Canadian cuisine (such as screech-marinated foie gras and wild game tourtière). Review No. 1 (2* review) "The view is crazy, being on the top floor of some billion-storey office building. Service is pretentious. I felt "less than" going in here and I hate that feeling! I like to think I'm pretty awesome, and the last thing I want is some place I'm a patron at to make me feel inadequate. Cocktails look yummy though I haven't tried them. Food is quite good. Presentation is lovely. Wine is good. The view is amazing! Overall experience, if you're stuck up and like to think you're on top of the world, go here wearing your designer suit and tie for your business lunch and look at us little people below (who appear as insignificant specs) from the ____ floor of this finance building. Don't get me wrong, the food is quite good, but this place is so esteemed most likely because it's so fancy and pretentious and people speak highly of it only so that they can feel like they're included among the elite crowd of its pretentious lunch-goers. Plus, there are other restaurants that are less pretentious ..., so it's not the food that'll make me come back, but the service and overall stuffy atmosphere is keeping me away. Pretentious, shallow service. Like honestly, it's just lunch, no need to act all holier than thou. Yawn. Overrated. I don't think I'd ever come back here. Don't get me wrong, the food was quite good, I'd just rather go some place where I felt more welcome. I much prefer going to (an American style bistro, whose offerings are steaks and chops)." Review No. 2 (5* review) "Normally when they tell you its a restaurant "with a view" from a high floor of a building that is code for saying the restaurant only exists because of the view. This is NOT the case with____. Not only is ____a beautiful space with a fantastic bar scene on a high floor but more importantly the food is fantastic. My wife and I went there because of the ratings and being lovers of fine dining were hoping for the best and____ really delivered. _____ uses phenomenal meats and produce, if you can get the caribou get it. The cheeses the desserts and the wine pairings they suggest make it great but also approachable. The wait staff that we had were so helpful and our questions and interest in the food was appreciated by the chef who came out to talk to us. We loved _____ and will be back when we have a chance to return to Toronto." Analysis: OK, so, basically, reviewer No. 2 met the chef and had great service, whereas reviewer No. 1 called the whole thing pretentious and not worth the price (although s/he admits never trying the cocktails, nor does s/he mention anything s/he ordered). Reviewer No. 1 says, however, that lunch was good (without saying what it was, but we know Reviewer No. 2 enjoyed the game, along with some wine, cheese and dessert as recommended by the house). That said, reviewer No. 1 hates the place, despite enjoying the food (whatever that was). So what is his/her complaint about? In the heart of Toronto's business district, being the financial heart Canada (a G-8 nation), s/he complains-on and on, and then on some more-about people in the resto wearing ... a suit and a tie? In fact, whole crux of Reviewer No. 1's "review" seems to be about business people and how they're dressed, and how s/he wasn't (thus felt out of place in the lunch time crowd). OK, then ... Seems the only thing this person enjoyed was the view, in which case I might suggest to this person the CN Tower [world's tallest "structure" (no longer the tallest building, I know, but there is a touristy resto up there, serving sandwiches, grilled chicken and chops, I imagine ...) ] Hey, great idea for a thread, and that I admit was fun ...
    #1. Doesn't seem to have had a meal at the restaurant but was trying to get her review count up so she could get "Elite" status...it appears she did. #2. Seems to have had an actual experience to write a review about. Most other reviews of that place are stellar*

19. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Gah! This is a HUGE thing in Seattle Yelp reviews. We have the granola (not to mention hipster)crowd who expects every high end restaurant to be disguised as some hole in the wall with a chalkboard menu. Anything too cosmopolitan or ambitious will always be cursed with a 3-star average and scathing reviews from the local independent newspaper within days of opening.
    This pretty well sums up Sacramento Yelp as well. I try to counter it by writing reviews of nice places and pointing out that they are places where people actually can dress up for dinner or drinks, but I feel that I am fighting a losing battle. It's been an OK way to meet a few people here in town, but the vast majority are people with whom I would never voluntarily choose to associate.