• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People on Yelp: Why do you all suck?

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont see anything wrong with the reviews, specially the second. Its a very reasonable and positive one, and the 1 star deducted isnt because of the duck, sicne the reviewer admits it was his own fault and is aware of that. Just because its good doesnt mean its the best, perhaps he reserves the 5 stars to the top. As for the first, well, arent there restaurants out there that serve ridiculously small portions? Sure there are. COmplaining about that isnt unreasonable, i think. Now if they arent then its not a matter of whether its right to complain about it or not. My 2 cents
biggrin.gif
I think if you want to read reviews you find people who review with which you share the same opinion about a few places and then you start to listen to their views on the others that you dont know. Thats what i do with seeing music reviews online, for example

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alan
I dont see anything wrong with the reviews, specially the second.

Its a very reasonable and positive one, and the 1 star deducted isnt because of the duck, sicne the reviewer admits it was his own fault and is aware of that. Just because its good doesnt mean its the best, perhaps he reserves the 5 stars to the top.

As for the first, well, arent there restaurants out there that serve ridiculously small portions? Sure there are. COmplaining about that isnt unreasonable, i think. Now if they arent then its not a matter of whether its right to complain about it or not.

My 2 cents
biggrin.gif

I think if you want to read reviews you find people who review with which you share the same opinion about a few places and then you start to listen to their views on the others that you dont know.

Thats what i do with seeing music reviews online, for example

Ive never been to any restaurant that serves such small portions that anyone but a fat **** wouldn't be full after.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Ive never been to any restaurant that serves such small portions that anyone but a fat **** wouldn't be full after.
A lot of people (especially mid westerners) don't understand the concept of ordering more then just a single entree which might be the problem at many restaurants where they expect patrons to order multiple plates. I've been to plenty of places where ordering just an entree would have left me hungry !

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I've heard tons of good things about Blue Bottle. Mostly from the guy who runs linecook @ blogspot and a guy who runs a blog called hot food Appreciation. They're both in love with Blue Bottle. I can't wait to get out there in a few weeks and try it.

I think you will love a lot of things out here. First of all, there are a ton of small commercial coffee roasters. When you are out here, you should also take a trip out to Tamales Bay and pick up a tow sack of Kumamoto oysters.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just wanted to investigate the Yelp reviews of a sushi place I enjoy, which is Kiji. One reviewer said ". . . and I am not gonna lie, the spicy tuna roll (which is my yardstick for Japanese places) was disappointing."

Yes, I'm being a snob, but reviews of this nature make me go
facepalm.gif

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Oh, (restaurant's name), I wanted to like you. On the outside you looked so (adjective) but on the inside you were (adjective) and (adjective). I expected more of a (adjective) atmosphere. But I digress. I went during (city name) Restaurant Week. But alas, we waited and waited..."

And so on and so on. Too many "Stuff White People Like"-style people using it as their "creative outlet."

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I ******* hate people who only eat at fine restaurants during restaurant week and then are too numb to realize they were given toned down food ordered en mass with the sole purpose of feeding the bridge and tunnel hoardes during restaurant week, yet still find the need to categorize a restaurant as "overrated" based on their discount meal.

"Cafe Bouloud was a huge disappointment. The beet and goat cheese salad appetizer, free range chicken breast entree, and vanilla creme brulee dessert I got during restaurant week were boring, I don't know how that place stays popular. We wont be returning."

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
"Oh, (restaurant's name), I wanted to like you. On the outside you looked so (adjective) but on the inside you were (adjective) and (adjective). I expected more of a (adjective) atmosphere. But I digress. I went during (city name) Restaurant Week. But alas, we waited and waited..."

And so on and so on. Too many "Stuff White People Like"-style people using it as their "creative outlet."

This is a brilliant (and true!) piece of writing. Bravo, sir.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IDK, I use a similar rule of thumb with restaurants. IMO, if a place can't make a good burger or spicy tuna roll, I don't know why I would trust their ineviatably more expensive options. It can go either way, but if I'm spending more than $40/person or so, the place had better be able to get the very basics down.

Originally Posted by HORNS
I just wanted to investigate the Yelp reviews of a sushi place I enjoy, which is Kiji. One reviewer said ". . . and I am not gonna lie, the spicy tuna roll (which is my yardstick for Japanese places) was disappointing."

Yes, I'm being a snob, but reviews of this nature make me go
facepalm.gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
facepalm.gif
Also -the hostess looked at me sideways when I walked in with my bf and even though the food was excellent i'm giving this place 2 stars bc of that and lack of valet parking or -can't stand when every other word in YUM! or yummy

privateer

Reaction score
I like Yelp. However, I actually read through the reviews before I go to a place. Ignore the reviews from idiots. I also like reading through the bad ratings to see why people didn't like it. When the reviewer is an idiot, I then go to the restaurant.

People are idiots, but you can still be intelligent and circumvent them.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Yelp reviews in the Bay Area are especially vile. I find them unpleasant.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB

Good god, that's it exactly. In the words of David Foster Wallace, "No matter how smart you think you are, you are actually way less smart than that."

That kind of **** gets thrown out in writers' workshops pretty much 24/7, people who don't have anything to say so they construct entire novellas around showing how clever they are.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"the burger was an epic fail!!!!"

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yelp used to be good before it got full of morons....now you have to be really picky about who is writing the review.

I was reading this one review of a thai restaurant and it was negative but for stupid reasons (the spring rolls weren't fried...wtf?)

Then I realized that this same girl had written a terrible review of my favorite vietnamese sandwich place (Ba Le) that was so scathing and harsh until you realized that the only thing she ordered was a coffee.

Similar things seem to happen all of the time...people are stupid so I often check their other reviews before basing decisions on what they write (if you get lucky, they will have reviewed a restaurant you are familiar with)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads