• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People of the Christian faith - Is this true?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The new security guard at my building was explaining his religious beliefs to me just now and he mentioned a few facts that I was hoping somebody could help me confirm:

You, as a person, actually literally speak the word of God.
ex. say you have 10k debt. If you believe that the debt will be cleared, and say so, then God will clear the debt

If you say something negative, for instance "my back is killing me", then you are of the belief that your back will kill you. This type of talk also means that you are allowing the Devil into your life.

If you get negative news, you can refute the negative news by saying "I don't believe that."
ex. If you go to the doctor and he tells you that you've got cancer, you can say "Oh really. Well I believe that I am healed." On the next visit, you will be cancer free.

No matter what age you join the church, 5 or 50, all your previous sins are forgiven. No matter what they were, ****, killing, etc., you are considered a newborn baby in the eyes of the lord.

Because you speak the word of god, everyone in your immediate family is protected by the spreading of your belief.

All of this is predicated on the belief that you have accepted the word of God as your word, you do not say or do anything negative, and that you do not take any bad influences into your life.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think any Christian except for the most delusional lunatic would believe any of that (maybe the previous sins part).

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps security guards aren't necessarily to be taken as authorities in theological matters.

I've never heard anyone say that before. In fact, it would lead to a contradiction-- if everything you said were the Word of God, you could in turn use it to preach a new heretical gospel that negated the Bible, and it would still be the Word of God.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Perhaps security guards aren't necessarily to be taken as authorities in theological matters.
Yes. Thank you for that dumbass. And here I thought that he was the second coming. Don't you have to go and roll your cookie dough log?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if some little sect believed this crap. I once met a couple who believed they could cleanse the neighbourhood of Satan's influence by walking around it. Something about a verse in the OT about "reclaiming the land."

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Yes. Thank you for that dumbass. And here I thought that he was the second coming.

Don't you have to go and roll your cookie dough log?

That was just unnecessary.
frown.gif

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes. Thank you for that dumbass. And here I thought that he was the second coming. Don't you have to go and roll your cookie dough log?
lol@you getting all worked up about a simple statement of fact.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This used to be folklore among medieval Christians, but as far as I know it only pertained to the names of demons (hence the phrase 'speak of the devil [and he will come]'). Some pop pastor probably perverted this belief, since I think it has its origins in some obscure part of the Bible.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i talked to some black people (no racist) on the boston commons that told me biblically they will eventually become slave masters over me when identified flying objects ("IFOs not UFOs") will come to enslave the earth. they called me a moabite like it was a dirty word. they said they were the real jews. i think they were called the lost sheepz of izrael or something like that.

what was funny to me was that they were pretty knowledgeable about select passages.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Contingency Plan
^ yup, Bible = word of God.

But then you need a whole bunch of people to interpret what the word really means.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
i talked to some black people (no racist) on the boston commons that told me biblically they will eventually become slave masters over me when identified flying objects ("IFOs not UFOs") will come to enslave the earth. they called me a moabite like it was a dirty word. they said they were the real jews. i think they were called the lost sheepz of izrael or something like that.

what was funny to me was that they were pretty knowledgeable about select passages.

Those are the Black Israelites -- you can find them in Times Square too. Aren't their costumes great?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The new security guard at my building was explaining his religious beliefs to me just now and he mentioned a few facts that I was hoping somebody could help me confirm:

You, as a person, actually literally speak the word of God.
ex. say you have 10k debt. If you believe that the debt will be cleared, and say so, then God will clear the debt

If you say something negative, for instance "my back is killing me", then you are of the belief that your back will kill you. This type of talk also means that you are allowing the Devil into your life.

If you get negative news, you can refute the negative news by saying "I don't believe that."
ex. If you go to the doctor and he tells you that you've got cancer, you can say "Oh really. Well I believe that I am healed." On the next visit, you will be cancer free.

No matter what age you join the church, 5 or 50, all your previous sins are forgiven. No matter what they were, ****, killing, etc., you are considered a newborn baby in the eyes of the lord.

Because you speak the word of god, everyone in your immediate family is protected by the spreading of your belief.

All of this is predicated on the belief that you have accepted the word of God as your word, you do not say or do anything negative, and that you do not take any bad influences into your life.

I was raised Christian, nearly everyone in my family would state that they're a Christian, many of my friends are Christians, and I live in the heart of the Bible Belt. The only item in this list I've ever even heard of, let alone heard someone endorse, is the one about sin. That one is the very nature of being "born again." The rest strike me as either this guy's own interpretation, or the ideas of some small sect, but as far as I know these notions don't exist in any version of mainstream Christianity.

Originally Posted by Piobaire
But then you need a whole bunch of people to interpret what the word really means.

One of my best friends in the world has recently gone through a sort of spiritual awakening, and part of that awakening is a firm belief that the Bible is the Word of God. The problem is that he can't grasp the notion that it has been translated, interpreted, and otherwise manipulated by humans. Apparently whatever version of the Bible he's using is the correct one, so there's no chance it has been influenced by the biases of those who have interpreted it. This has turned him into a weird blend of sanctimonious and "lalalalalalalalalalala I'm not listening to anything that might make me doubt my position!!1eleventy!"

I love the guy like a brother, but I'm sincerely afraid that this is going to destroy our relationship.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The new security guard at my building was explaining his religious beliefs to me just now and he mentioned a few facts that I was hoping somebody could help me confirm: You, as a person, actually literally speak the word of God. ex. say you have 10k debt. If you believe that the debt will be cleared, and say so, then God will clear the debt If you say something negative, for instance "my back is killing me", then you are of the belief that your back will kill you. This type of talk also means that you are allowing the Devil into your life. If you get negative news, you can refute the negative news by saying "I don't believe that." ex. If you go to the doctor and he tells you that you've got cancer, you can say "Oh really. Well I believe that I am healed." On the next visit, you will be cancer free.
i think the more prevalent version of this belief is that if you pray to God, anything can happen - including a miracle. this guy sounds like he's delusional though.
No matter what age you join the church, 5 or 50, all your previous sins are forgiven. No matter what they were, ****, killing, etc., you are considered a newborn baby in the eyes of the lord. Because you speak the word of god, everyone in your immediate family is protected by the spreading of your belief. All of this is predicated on the belief that you have accepted the word of God as your word, you do not say or do anything negative, and that you do not take any bad influences into your life.
this one sounds more like the whole point of Confession, where if you sincerely repent, then God will forgive you and wipe the slate clean. the laws of man, however, may demand further recompense

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads